30-40 [ 1 ] ** [6.67%]
50+ [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
50-100 [ 1 ] ** [6.67%]
Total Votes: 15
Guests cannot vote 
Guitar1969
Oct 23 2008, 06:17 PM
GMC:er
I have really been focusing on trying to develop a set of licks that I use on a regular basis, and string together when soloing etc. I've even started a list in Microsoft Word that I've picked up here and there on GMC and elsewhere to consolidate my library - Being the analytical person I am, this is the only way I can get a handle on what I should practice. As you know, some licks are more common than others. A topic I came across on one of the other forums seemed interesting to me and I thought I would start a topic here on GMC. I always thought I had to have this huge library of licks that I really needed to know inside and out, but what some of the guitarists were saying is that they only really knew 20 or so(some even less) that they could play all over the neck, and that was plenty enough, because you could string them togther in endless combinations. I wanted to find out if all the GMCers here agree(especially the teachers) or if that's the average; Obviously our guitar goals and experience will factor into this as well but that info would probably make the poll too confusing. Now I know we've all learned licks, but they never became part of our repitroire or we have fogotten some along the way, so let's focus on the ones we use regularly when playing that we've made part of our unique style.

So I created a poll of how many licks we all use on a regular basis when playing. Also would be interesting if some wished to share maybe their most frequently used lick, to see if there's any commonality between us.

To start it off, here's the Word Doc I created, with that common "Chuck Berry" lick as the first entry, and some others that I thought were good(Many from the GMC lesson too) - this is a work in progress and is meant to be added to as I go(If it is difficult to read in your Word Program, make sure you have "Gridelines off" in the Table menu).

So please do the poll above so we can develop some trends based upon a good size sample.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Guitar1969: Oct 23 2008, 07:08 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Licks_To_Know.doc ( 957K ) Number of downloads: 368

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ItsMe
Oct 23 2008, 06:28 PM
good aproach. I try not to focus too much on licks tough. I rather think more in arpegios, scales and modes. Means when I impro I think about the chord progression and what aproach works with a given chord. Then I start playing and try to listen to what I play, resolve to the right chordtones and so on. Shure very often you end up playing a lick that you play all the time but I try to keep it to a minimum

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by ItsMe: Oct 23 2008, 06:33 PM

+Quote Post
jer
Oct 23 2008, 06:38 PM
I think this is great. Though the word doc is kinda hard to read. I wonder if there is some auto formatting issue I'm having trouble with....

I have no go to licks. That is one thing I wanted to improve on over the next few months. Developing a bag o' licks!

Thanks!

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Oct 23 2008, 06:43 PM
QUOTE (jer @ Oct 23 2008, 10:38 AM) *
I think this is great. Though the word doc is kinda hard to read. I wonder if there is some auto formatting issue I'm having trouble with....

I have no go to licks. That is one thing I wanted to improve on over the next few months. Developing a bag o' licks!

Thanks!

On the Word Doc, you might have "Gridlines" turned on in your Word Program. Go to "Hide Gridlines" under your Table Menu and it should be easier to read.

I agree with the poster up above that we all play note sequences and such which cannot be classified as licks, but I also throw in the licks too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jer
Oct 23 2008, 06:46 PM
Yep. Dang gridlines!

Thanks!

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Oct 23 2008, 09:07 PM
I see a lot of people are viewing this post and downloading my Licks document, but very few voting in the poll, which was the whole point of the post.

Come On -The point is to see what the average is here at GMC

--------------------

+Quote Post
jer
Oct 23 2008, 09:12 PM
I voted!

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Oct 23 2008, 09:13 PM
Instructor
I think is great to know lots of licks but then you have to make some changes to those licks to make them more personal to your playing style. I know jazz licks, blues licks, rock licks, funk licks but the more interesting thing you could do with those things is analyze them and see which is the factor that caught your attention in those phrases. After that you could try to make a composition (a little solo) using that lick. In that way you incorporate the phrasing of that lick. Then try to change the lick and make a new version, your version and make another composition using that new lick.
In my lessons you will find lots of licks but many of them are mine, not because I invented but I've taken them and make a variation on them. So, my suggestion is not to learn the same lick all over the neck but to learn all the licks you want and try to change them (is not only my advice, Scott Henderson says the same tongue.gif) so your playing won't be a collection of licks as some players sound.

biggrin.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Oct 23 2008, 09:28 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I don't have to many licks I use frequently..
I tend to make things up as I go, might backfire sometimes though biggrin.gif

Voted btw.

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Oct 23 2008, 09:32 PM
QUOTE (Ramiro Delforte @ Oct 23 2008, 01:13 PM) *
I think is great to know lots of licks but then you have to make some changes to those licks to make them more personal to your playing style. I know jazz licks, blues licks, rock licks, funk licks but the more interesting thing you could do with those things is analyze them and see which is the factor that caught your attention in those phrases. After that you could try to make a composition (a little solo) using that lick. In that way you incorporate the phrasing of that lick. Then try to change the lick and make a new version, your version and make another composition using that new lick.
In my lessons you will find lots of licks but many of them are mine, not because I invented but I've taken them and make a variation on them. So, my suggestion is not to learn the same lick all over the neck but to learn all the licks you want and try to change them (is not only my advice, Scott Henderson says the same tongue.gif) so your playing won't be a collection of licks as some players sound.

biggrin.gif

Agreed

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Oct 23 2008, 09:52 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
I didn't vote as I am a total beginner in jamming. I never did it in a "serious" matter, I rather practice songs and lessons than jam, as I think I don't know how to do it properly. This is because I have no "lick library" but the whole concept of having one is hard for me, as I don't jam so also don't know how to work with these licks etc.. As You can see, the problem is quite complex, and the answer quite simple - I must start jamming more if I want to change the situation..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 23 2008, 10:56 PM
Instructor
This is a very tough question, because I make small variations of licks all the time, on different positions as well, so this number can be pretty big, so a ton of licks basically.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Oct 27 2008, 01:40 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Oct 23 2008, 01:56 PM) *
This is a very tough question, because I make small variations of licks all the time, on different positions as well, so this number can be pretty big, so a ton of licks basically.

Yeah thats exactly why I found it hard to vote as well. Some licks that I jam with I only change 1 or a couple notes.

I voted 20-30, some I use more then others but Im still working alot on playing with more variety. The best thing you can have in your playing is having variety. Sure its great what Malmsteen does, playing incredible fast , having those great runs across the neck. However, you see alot of other plays who have developed their own style, and still maintained a great sense of variety.

Then there is players like are very own Muris, who never venture into one specific style, but explore all styles and therefore have developed an amazing variety of licks. Im sure for those players you would need to increase the poll and Im sorry for ranting but this topic is a perfect example of reasons why its good to "Jam" and practice your lick vocabulary. smile.gif

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:33 AM