Powered Monitors And Powered Sub, Mackie monitors Logitech Sub? Possible?
NoSkill
Oct 21 2009, 02:46 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hi guys,

Before I plug things in and make a crater where my house used to be... wink.gif

I have a logitech z2300 sub. It has RCA outputs for L/R speakers that I wanted to plug my Mackie powered monitors into. I was wondering if this is just simply of process of doing just that, or am I running a risk of damaging something.

Just wondering before I do it. I may not need the sub with the monitors, but I'd like to be able to test it without breaking anything.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by NoSkill: Oct 22 2009, 02:20 PM

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 21 2009, 11:31 AM
Instructor
I'm not sure I understood correctly what you are trying to connect mate. Do you want to connect Mackie pair and the sub together? What is the source's output plug format?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Oct 22 2009, 02:16 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
The source output is from my soundcard of my computer. It's a 1/8 jack plug. It would go from the sound card to the volume controller of the sub that is then plugged into the sub via a serial port jack. The sub has two output jacks for left and right that are RCA jacks. They typically send signal to two non-powered logitech speakers. Instead, I was wondering if I could send the signal to two powered Mackie Monitors. The Mackie's have an input option for the RCA jack.

My concern is, and it's totally based on fear, and no knowledge basis, is there any inherent concern with plugging powered speakers into the sub? I just didn't want to wreck anything if this was a no no. I have asked a Mackie forums and at logitech forums and have gotten the usual, "Go for it! See what happens." type of response. I just wondered if anyone here had any experience with this.

Thanks!

--------------------

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Oct 22 2009, 02:45 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
NoSkill, I wouldn't do this. I'm not sure of all the technical terms to explain it but the signal level from the output of your sub are boosted because it is a powered sub. Your powered monitors don't want that hot signal because there going to want to boost it. I don't think it's will sound right and might even cause damage to the speakers.

Hopefully someone else will come along and explain it better then me but I wouldn't hook them up to your sub.

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Oct 22 2009, 03:11 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
AFAIK most 2.0 studios that want to add a sub to get 2.1 use a monitor controller which allows them to use multiple sets of speakers and subs and gain control them separately. You can get a cheap monitor controller now a days for around 100USD - and they go up in price to over 2000USD.

As Uncle Skillet says an active speaker - like the Mackie - has an inbuilt amp with an attenuator /volume control and it doesn't really expect to get a signal that is already amplified. I'd imagine that the Mackie is expecting to get either a -10dBU or +4dBU with a 50ohm impedance or similar. If it doesn't then it may not like it and you could end up with an awful lot of quite nasty white or pink noise which potentially could damage the speakers.

If you do want to 'suck it and see' turn the volume way down first.

Also you need to check what the RCA input and outputs are - analogue or digital - and that they match.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 22 2009, 03:45 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (NoSkill @ Oct 21 2009, 03:46 AM) *
Hi guys,

Before I plug things in and make a crater where my house used to be... wink.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif

Back on topic, perhaps it might work on low volumes
but it certainly wasn't designed to operate that way,
powered speakers work best when they receive non-busted signal.
Try, see how it works, dunno. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Muris Varajic: Oct 22 2009, 03:46 PM

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Oct 22 2009, 03:58 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks for the replies, folks. I think I'll pass on doing it and investigate a monitor controller.

Cheers!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 22 2009, 10:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (NoSkill @ Oct 22 2009, 04:58 PM) *
Thanks for the replies, folks. I think I'll pass on doing it and investigate a monitor controller.

Cheers!

A monitor controller?

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Oct 22 2009, 11:04 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Overkill, but an example of monitor controller... http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=1

Muris, after our discussion this morning, I considered another option. As I'm having latency trouble with my POD and Sonar, but not with the POD and my Mac, I'm probably going to record on the Mac and work with the files on the PC in Sonar. At least until I find a solution to the latency.

Cheers!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 22 2009, 11:09 PM
Instructor
You are still making it complicated. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Oct 22 2009, 11:29 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Agreed. Maybe pulling everything apart tonight will bring a simple solution. Right now, it's all still speculation. Howevery, I replied about the monitor controller, before we spoke about the Behringer piece, so I'm still looking heavily into an option like that, before I go crazy with anything else. wink.gif

This post has been edited by NoSkill: Oct 22 2009, 11:30 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Oct 28 2009, 02:13 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Just an update: I plugged the sub into one of the out's on my Toneport KB37, and plugged the Mackie's into another. The sound is better and I have volume control of the monitors from a pot on the Toneport. The Toneport KB37 has two analog outs and a headphone out, each with a volume pot. Handy and seems to have rectified my situation.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 31 2009, 02:45 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (NoSkill @ Oct 28 2009, 03:13 PM) *
Just an update: I plugged the sub into one of the out's on my Toneport KB37, and plugged the Mackie's into another. The sound is better and I have volume control of the monitors from a pot on the Toneport. The Toneport KB37 has two analog outs and a headphone out, each with a volume pot. Handy and seems to have rectified my situation.

Nice to hear about it. Its a pretty weird setup but if it works - cool! smile.gif Hurray for toneport once again! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:53 AM