Learning Old Songs Is Tough!
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 17 2023, 06:22 AM
Learning Rock Star

Finally sat down to learn this one again tonight. I wrote this in 2020. Still a few mistakes to sort out and get into my brain. It's not a technically difficult song with fast passages, but some parts move about in by an 8th note back and forth. Some screenshot of the notation to illustrate this. First ending of the main riff has an 13/8 after the whole riff has been in 6/4 (so an extra 8th note in comparison to the main r iff), but the second ending is 7/4 (so, two extra 8th notes):

Attached Image

Attached Image

The section following that repeats a similar phrase twice but with a note left out (indicated with blue) and getting more of a 7+6+6+7 note pattern:

Attached Image

The middle 16 bars are 8 bars mirrored on the start of the 9th bar. Only showing the point of the "mirror" here:

Attached Image

So just lots of "remembering" going into it more so than technical practice. Mental and mind practice maybe! Anyway, this is the progress so far in relearning it.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Storm Linnebjerg: Feb 17 2023, 06:25 AM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FreePizza
Feb 17 2023, 04:42 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
This is a great track, Ben. Really dug the drums and bass groove. Did you also do the vocals? The production seemed pretty on point to me, I'm still getting used to building drum tracks and I'll generally do bass lines with a pitch shifter and my guitar lol. Some of the coolest lessons on GMC have such well-done backing tracks, it blows my mind sometimes and makes me wish I was a more well-rounded musician with the ability to add good drums/bass/keys.

That change at 1:11 seems super tricky to me and I love the main riff. Great share!

PS: Off topic (sorry) but I noticed you had done a take of Hand Sync II by Ben Higgins. I have been working on this lesson for quite some time and it has become a daily exercise. The last part though where it speeds up has me super frustrated. I can play it close to speed, but I think it's the change in speed that stumps me. I guess maybe it would be called a speed burst. That change to much faster picking all of a sudden. It just trips me up. Another lesson that trips me up in the same way is Bending & Vibrato by Guido Bungenstock. The last lick speed-bursts half way through and I just fail right at that point.

Your take (Hand Sync II) says "Video is private" to me when I try to view it. I find seeing other students' passing takes on RECs seems to help so if there is a way to make it available that would be appreciated. Any advice really. I have done the slow it down and play it clean thing for quite some time.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 17 2023, 06:52 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (FreePizza @ Feb 17 2023, 05:42 PM) *
This is a great track, Ben. Really dug the drums and bass groove. Did you also do the vocals? The production seemed pretty on point to me, I'm still getting used to building drum tracks and I'll generally do bass lines with a pitch shifter and my guitar lol. Some of the coolest lessons on GMC have such well-done backing tracks, it blows my mind sometimes and makes me wish I was a more well-rounded musician with the ability to add good drums/bass/keys.

That change at 1:11 seems super tricky to me and I love the main riff. Great share!

PS: Off topic (sorry) but I noticed you had done a take of Hand Sync II by Ben Higgins. I have been working on this lesson for quite some time and it has become a daily exercise. The last part though where it speeds up has me super frustrated. I can play it close to speed, but I think it's the change in speed that stumps me. I guess maybe it would be called a speed burst. That change to much faster picking all of a sudden. It just trips me up. Another lesson that trips me up in the same way is Bending & Vibrato by Guido Bungenstock. The last lick speed-bursts half way through and I just fail right at that point.

Your take (Hand Sync II) says "Video is private" to me when I try to view it. I find seeing other students' passing takes on RECs seems to help so if there is a way to make it available that would be appreciated. Any advice really. I have done the slow it down and play it clean thing for quite some time.

Thank you! I did the vocals too, yeah, but I'm not a singer, so it's always a case of doing 200 takes to get something decent. At times it turns out okay of course - though at times I need to pitch correct a bit, but that's not uncommon in singers anyway. I don't even consider myself a singer though.

This is completely without correct (and a very different style):

Here's with a pinch of correction on the cleans, not the growls:

So, half-assed "singers" like me can get away with it a bit.

Drums are programmed (hit by hit) by me using Superior Drummer 3 with the Progressive Foundry expansion, same with bass (Trillian), guitars are played of course and vocals are sung. To be honest, this is from 2020, so I'd probably change and do some things differently today.

And yes, that change is kinda tricky to me still. Ideally I come out of it with the whammy bar and there's an 8th note pick-up from the bar before. I just have to practice that a bit more.

Off topic: don't worry about going off-topic. I did do a take on that, but I think it may have been on an old YouTube account. I'll have to dig it out - I'm not sure the take was all that great, but I do have some advice that I'll record a video about tonight. I just got home from football training, so gonna jump in a shower and then play some guitar tonight - if I forget about this, please remind me again!

Alright, I did a quick video here but I'm struggling massively getting it right. I don't have access to the lesson, so bear with me on this video as I had to just quickly listen to it by ear. It's sort of more the principles behind my thinking on this that I'm trying to explain, while being half asleep. wacko.gif

This post has been edited by Storm Linnebjerg: Feb 18 2023, 12:42 AM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
FreePizza
Feb 20 2023, 03:48 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Storm Linnebjerg @ Feb 17 2023, 05:52 PM) *
Alright, I did a quick video here but I'm struggling massively getting it right. I don't have access to the lesson, so bear with me on this video as I had to just quickly listen to it by ear. It's sort of more the principles behind my thinking on this that I'm trying to explain, while being half asleep. wacko.gif

Thanks very much for taking the time to do this, Ben, Really appreciate it. It's just that change in the speed of picking that kind of gets me, but sometimes I can pull it off. Like anything, practice I guess. After a gazillion times, I am sure it will just come to me lol.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 08:36 PM