2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Buying My First Real Axe
Anese
Jul 18 2018, 07:07 PM
Learning Roadie
Hello everyone

I took look at my ibby rosewood neck just near the window under full light medium and it looked like this.
I didnt notice these little cracks that look like tears before since i always play my guitar with the curtains closed and the ceiling light is not that bright.
And I cant really remember if they were there when I first got this guitar or not.

I had this guitar for almost 3 years and I only oiled the fretboard once with linseed oil. (I cant find any guitar care products around here in Libya, so linseed oil was the only thing available in hardware stores, I may find some other wood products for furniture that may contain wax and orange oils)
so let me know what you think.
do I have a bad fretboard ?
or is this normal and that's the natural looking profile for a rosewood surface?

and what do you recommend to use for someone like me who cant find guitar care products where he lives in order to take care of guitar necks? as i told you i can find products that may contain waxes, orange oil, natural lemon oil that's used for cocking, ahh and lighter fluids..etc
that most thing i felt comfortable about is (linseed oil) usually sued by carpenters around here.

Thanks

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 18 2018, 08:37 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
My Ibby RG1570 looks the same buddy, as do all of my rosewood necks wink.gif It's the grain within the wood. Nothing to worry about wink.gif

Check THIS out.

Cheers

Phil

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Anese
Jul 18 2018, 09:26 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 18 2018, 09:37 PM) *
My Ibby RG1570 looks the same buddy, as do all of my rosewood necks wink.gif It's the grain within the wood. Nothing to worry about wink.gif

Check THIS out.

Cheers

Phil

Thanks a lot Phil your reply was such a relief tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Jul 19 2018, 12:34 AM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Anese @ Jul 18 2018, 06:07 PM) *
and what do you recommend to use for someone like me who cant find guitar care products where he lives in order to take care of guitar necks? as i told you i can find products that may contain waxes, orange oil, natural lemon oil that's used for cocking, ahh and lighter fluids..etc
that most thing i felt comfortable about is (linseed oil) usually sued by carpenters around here.

I believe the fretboard conditioner I use, Ernie Ball, is simply orange oil.

+Quote Post
Anese
Jul 19 2018, 07:52 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Rammikin @ Jul 19 2018, 01:34 AM) *
I believe the fretboard conditioner I use, Ernie Ball, is simply orange oil.

is it natural orange oil? ill try to find this in the grocery
tnx

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 21 2018, 02:10 AM
GMC:er
I would not suggest putting orange oil from the grocery on your guitar. It will make it quite sticky and it will attract bugs. What he is talking about in the previous post I beleive, is a product made by ERNIE BALL just for guitar fretboards. Dunlop makes a handy collection of fluids for upkeep on the guitar including a fretboard conditioner. Here is the link to it.
https://www.jimdunlop.com/product/6500-7-10...pe=&from=fn

Fretboard conditioner/oil is good in that It gives the wood something to keep it from getting too dry. You can get it over the web from any web site that sells music gear. In Europem THOMANN.de is one of the mos popular. Where are you btw? I remember you telling me that you didn't have music stores at all in your area?
Here is a video about using various oils on your fretboard.

Hope this helps smile.gif

QUOTE (Anese @ Jul 19 2018, 02:52 AM) *
tnx

+Quote Post
Anese
Jul 21 2018, 06:38 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 21 2018, 03:10 AM) *
Fretboard conditioner/oil is good in that It gives the wood something to keep it from getting too dry. You can get it over the web from any web site that sells music gear. In Europem THOMANN.de is one of the mos popular. Where are you btw? I remember you telling me that you didn't have music stores at all in your area?
Here is a video about using various oils on your fretboard.

Hope this helps smile.gif

Thanks for the advice Todd
I live in Libya (north africa) you know Gaddafi ? rolleyes.gif
There's like one or two music stores here but all they sell is rubbish, i usually rely on online stores to buy strings and other musical needs, but unfortunately delivering Liquids by mail here is quiet tricky and its more likely your item will be thrown away or ditched.

That's why i have to look for something from around here.

i once used linseed oil (usually used for general carpentry works) and it didnt feel so bad nor it left any kind of unwanted residue and the neck felt good, but i want to know if there's any better options.

Thanks again

This post has been edited by Anese: Jul 21 2018, 07:16 PM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 21 2018, 07:11 PM
I used (natural) lemon oil for sometime, wood not too bad but you really have to rub the frets to get it out. And avoid string contact, so use oil clean nicely wash hands then put strings on.

I used (natural) lemon oil for sometime, wood not too bad but you really have to rub the frets to get it out. And avoid string contact, so use oil clean nicely wash hands then put strings on.

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jul 21 2018, 07:21 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I'd just stick with the linseed oil, I think that is fine. As with any product, you don't need to do it very often. Use a small amount and wipe off all the excess.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 21 2018, 09:07 PM
QUOTE (Anese @ Jul 21 2018, 01:38 PM) *
Thanks for the advice Todd
I live in Libya (north africa) you know Gaddafi ?
There's like one or two music stores here but all they sell is rubbish, i usually rely on online stores to buy strings and other musical needs, but unfortunately delivering Liquids by mail here is quiet tricky and its more likely your item will be thrown away or ditched.

That's why i have to look for something from around here.

i once used linseed oil (usually used for general carpentry works) and it didnt feel so bad nor it left any kind of unwanted residue and the neck felt good, but i want to know if there's any better options.

Thanks again

WOW. Really? I'll assume you are not kidding about this. That's honestly impressive. Not an easy place to be. The bits we get on the news make it look pretty war torn and unstable. I get it now why Music stores are hard to come by and why you are looking for alternatives to the standard commercial products.

I put it another post that I once had linseed go sorta rancid and I didn't like the smell. I've used just simple lemon oil that once might use on furniture. It worked just fine. I used it for years before I found the DUNLOP Lemon Oil that seemed to work better and had a different consistency. It was more like lotion and less like pure oil. It sinks in to the wood and the rest wipes off easy. Both my main guitars are rosewood so I've tried wads of things for rosewood.

Whatever you try, just put on a few frets before doing the entire neck. I learned that lesson the hard way Then give it a few days to dry and see what you think of it.

Todd

I've had linseed oil go rancid on the neck and feel like a plastic layer. I never used it again. I've never had a problem with the fretboard conditioner from Dunlop. It's formulated just for being used on guitar fretboards. In the end, it comes down to the player and what they like, so try a few things on just a few frets to see if you like it and then go with it smile.gif
Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 23 2018, 12:55 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 24 2018, 01:20 PM
Seeing that shipping liquids is tricky, maybe a product called Fast Fret is an option. Its not liquid but a hard impregnated rolled cloth.
https://www.amazon.com/GHS-Strings-A87-FAST...4SSV4TBER7WMQT1

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jul 25 2018, 04:52 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 25 2018, 09:24 PM
I LOVE fast fret smile.gif But it's really not a freboard conditioner so much as it's basically a lubricant for your strings. In the instructions it says to put it on with the strings still on the guitar. In spray or solid form, fast fret helps to reduce the inherent friction between strings and fingers. I used to use it a LOT when gigging as it makes the strings much slicker and makes it a breeze to shift positions.

It will do some degree of fretboard conditioning as a side bonus smile.gif It's sorta lube for strings. smile.gif It's cheap so try a bit and see what you think! There are many folks that just HATE fast fret. Some folks even think it's "cheating" (as if guitar were a card game with rules one can break) but to each his own. smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 24 2018, 08:20 AM) *
Seeing that shipping liquids is tricky, maybe a product called Fast Fret is an option. Its not liquid but a hard impregnated rolled cloth.

Phil

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Jul 26 2018, 05:01 AM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Anese @ Jul 19 2018, 06:52 AM) *
tnx

I don't know if I'd call orange oil "natural", but any orange oil should be fine on your fretboard since it's common to use it on wood furniture.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 26 2018, 10:25 AM
Yeah I know but in his circumstance it's better than nothing. I sometimes slacken the strings and put the block between strings and onto the fretboard when I'm feeling lazy. It does seem to condition the wood a little.

Phil

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 25 2018, 08:24 PM) *
I LOVE fast fret smile.gif But it's really not a freboard conditioner so much as it's basically a lubricant for your strings. In the instructions it says to put it on with the strings still on the guitar. In spray or solid form, fast fret helps to reduce the inherent friction between strings and fingers. I used to use it a LOT when gigging as it makes the strings much slicker and makes it a breeze to shift positions.

It will do some degree of fretboard conditioning as a side bonus smile.gif It's sorta lube for strings. smile.gif It's cheap so try a bit and see what you think! There are many folks that just HATE fast fret. Some folks even think it's "cheating" (as if guitar were a card game with rules one can break) but to each his own. smile.gif

Todd

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 27 2018, 02:29 AM
Good point!!!! it beats a blank. sometimes you gotta make do with whatever is to hand.
Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 26 2018, 05:25 AM) *
Yeah I know but in his circumstance it's better than nothing. I sometimes slacken the strings and put the block between strings and onto the fretboard when I'm feeling lazy. It does seem to condition the wood a little.

Phil

+Quote Post
Anese
Jul 29 2018, 02:57 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jul 21 2018, 08:11 PM) *

Good to hear that, I'll try it on some other guitar next time and see how that goes. Thanks Martay

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Jul 21 2018, 08:21 PM) *
I'd just stick with the linseed oil, I think that is fine. As with any product, you don't need to do it very often. Use a small amount and wipe off all the excess.

I'm glad to hear someone has some experience with this Yoncopin biggrin.gif

first time i heard about it was on a video submitted by Taylor guitars on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbsCnV2XvdM
they recommended boiled linseed oil to condition fret boards.

i dug some more around the forums till I came across these posts on a Les paul forum,

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthre...l-on-Fretboards
https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthre...t=linseed%20oil

nothing is official there but from the conversation between those les paul fanatics it seems that Linseed oil was an option among luthiers and guitar techs back in the old times.
however they mentioned that it not being used anymore since there's a better options that get the job done now days.

So after goin through all of this i can understand that it's safe to apply linseed oil it on rosewood as long as i dont let it set for a long time, in most of the instructions that i found they all recommend to wipe it off after a minute or two maximum.

ill share some pics down so you can see how did that go with me.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 21 2018, 10:07 PM) *
WOW. Really? I'll assume you are not kidding about this. That's honestly impressive. Not an easy place to be. The bits we get on the news make it look pretty war torn and unstable. I get it now why Music stores are hard to come by and why you are looking for alternatives to the standard commercial products.

I put it another post that I once had linseed go sorta rancid and I didn't like the smell. I've used just simple lemon oil that once might use on furniture. It worked just fine. I used it for years before I found the DUNLOP Lemon Oil that seemed to work better and had a different consistency. It was more like lotion and less like pure oil. It sinks in to the wood and the rest wipes off easy. Both my main guitars are rosewood so I've tried wads of things for rosewood.

Whatever you try, just put on a few frets before doing the entire neck. I learned that lesson the hard way Then give it a few days to dry and see what you think of it.

Todd

I've had linseed oil go rancid on the neck and feel like a plastic layer. I never used it again. I've never had a problem with the fretboard conditioner from Dunlop. It's formulated just for being used on guitar fretboards. In the end, it comes down to the player and what they like, so try a few things on just a few frets to see if you like it and then go with it smile.gif
Todd

Hey Todd,

I know that might sound a little surprising but yes that were Im from where I live rolleyes.gif
actually i was quiet comfortable on getting most of my guitar needs online till the turmoil political events started which had a pretty bad effect on our economy and banking services in general.
luckily i got my guitar before that happened *phew*.
hopefully things will get better in the upcoming years so i can waste some more money on gear and more guitars maybe laugh.gif

I took your advice and instead of applying lineed oil on a fret or two on on my ibby i did it on my old yamaha guitar
and waited three days after I applied it to see if anything might go bad.
after all i can say that things were pretty good and I liked the feel of it.

take a look at the pics below that's the ibby btw not the yamaha.

anyhow let me ask you how does it look like when the oil goes rancid ? share some pics
and when you applied Linseed oil did you let set for a long time?
because i read that it has to be wiped off in short time like a minute or two

Thanks again for you help buddy

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 24 2018, 02:20 PM) *

Phil

I'm pretty sure that product will come in handy one day, I really like it
I really appreciate you help man

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Jul 26 2018, 06:01 AM) *
I don't know if I'd call orange oil "natural", but any orange oil should be fine on your fretboard since it's common to use it on wood furniture.

thanks for clarifying that Rammikin i guess ill try that on my old guitar.

Here I took some pics of before conditioning the fret board with linseed oil

Attached Image

Attached Image

I even tried to polish the frets with steel wool, i made a fret guard out of a thick gift card, the results were not perfect but somehow satisfying

Attached Image

Here's after i applied the linseed oil on a paper towel then wiped the fret board with it, then took a clean paper towel and wiped off all the excess oil

Attached Image

Attached Image

Thank you all for all the help and advice that was really appreciated biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Anese: Jul 29 2018, 03:23 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 30 2018, 07:18 AM
It takes real heart to drive on and learn an instrument when things are going crazy in the place you live. I say push on!!!! smile.gif The neck looks good! You can tell if your neck oil has gone rancid just by the smell. If you sniff the board and it smells really bad, it's gone rancid. But if you wipe it off quickly, just enough should sink in to keep the wood feeling spiff.

Todd

QUOTE (Anese @ Jul 29 2018, 09:57 AM) *
Good to hear that, I'll try it on some other guitar next time and see how that goes. Thanks Martay

I'm glad to hear someone has some experience with this Yoncopin biggrin.gif

first time i heard about it was on a video submitted by Taylor guitars on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbsCnV2XvdM
they recommended boiled linseed oil to condition fret boards.

i dug some more around the forums till I came across these posts on a Les paul forum,

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthre...l-on-Fretboards
https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthre...t=linseed%20oil

nothing is official there but from the conversation between those les paul fanatics it seems that Linseed oil was an option among luthiers and guitar techs back in the old times.
however they mentioned that it not being used anymore since there's a better options that get the job done now days.

So after goin through all of this i can understand that it's safe to apply linseed oil it on rosewood as long as i dont let it set for a long time, in most of the instructions that i found they all recommend to wipe it off after a minute or two maximum.

ill share some pics down so you can see how did that go with me.

Hey Todd,

I know that might sound a little surprising but yes that were Im from where I live rolleyes.gif
actually i was quiet comfortable on getting most of my guitar needs online till the turmoil political events started which had a pretty bad effect on our economy and banking services in general.
luckily i got my guitar before that happened *phew*.
hopefully things will get better in the upcoming years so i can waste some more money on gear and more guitars maybe laugh.gif

I took your advice and instead of applying lineed oil on a fret or two on on my ibby i did it on my old yamaha guitar
and waited three days after I applied it to see if anything might go bad.
after all i can say that things were pretty good and I liked the feel of it.

take a look at the pics below that's the ibby btw not the yamaha.

anyhow let me ask you how does it look like when the oil goes rancid ? share some pics
and when you applied Linseed oil did you let set for a long time?
because i read that it has to be wiped off in short time like a minute or two

Thanks again for you help buddy

I'm pretty sure that product will come in handy one day, I really like it
I really appreciate you help man

thanks for clarifying that Rammikin i guess ill try that on my old guitar.

Here I took some pics of before conditioning the fret board with linseed oil

Attached Image

Attached Image

I even tried to polish the frets with steel wool, i made a fret guard out of a thick gift card, the results were not perfect but somehow satisfying

Attached Image

Here's after i applied the linseed oil on a paper towel then wiped the fret board with it, then took a clean paper towel and wiped off all the excess oil

Attached Image

Attached Image

Thank you all for all the help and advice that was really appreciated biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 03:57 AM