Fastfret Makes Sliding Hard?
kaznie_NL
Mar 14 2009, 11:19 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey guys,

I started using FastFret a couple of days ago and.... i have a question wink.gif
First of all, I don't like the fact that it leaves tiny threads in my strings. Second of all.... The little foil it gives on the strings, it makes sliding a lot harder! My fingers run stiffly across the fingerboard when sliding. I'm not sure whether this is because of the FastFret residu, but I also had it earlier, just not as much as now.

Could it also be the callosity on my fingers? I mean the hardened dead skinn...

Hope you guys can help wink.gif

Kaz

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 14 2009, 11:23 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Regarding tiny threads , just blow them off after you apply the fastfret smile.gif
Hmm this is kinda weird because fast fret makes strings slippery so its actually easier to slide on the strings up and down the neck....Sometimes it is harder for me to slide on new "dry" strings (my hands are also dry)...but fast fret really makes them slippery and diminishes a little that "sliding string noise" because there is less friction.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Mar 15 2009, 08:08 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Anyone experience with this? I believe it can also be my fingertips being kidna roug, but it's crazy anoying tongue.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 15 2009, 10:09 PM
Instructor
Yeah it can happen Kaz, specially on treble strings, but it's not that big of a deal really. You will get used to it, and the initial effect goes out pretty quickly. In general it is good to put FF 10 mins before and after practice, from my experience. If you don't like the feel of them during practice, just don't put before practice, and apply FF after practice in the evening.

Another thing, there is no need to put FF 2-3 days after putting a new set of strings, it will only darken the strings nickel coat.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Mar 15 2009, 10:10 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 15 2009, 10:58 PM
Instructor
It is better cause it somehow "eats" the dirt from the strings, specially winded ones, so the strings get a fresher sound. With water it is difficult to clean those small gaps.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 16 2009, 12:35 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Yeah it makes my bass strings (they are wounded) sound almost like "new" ! It saved me a lot of cash so far!
One tub lasts for months(2-3). I don't know how is it in comparison to other cleaning agents but its one of most popular if not the most popular one.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Artemus
Mar 16 2009, 01:18 AM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
Well, I think I know what you may be getting at when you say that sliding etc. feels a little different. The texture gives a certain "feel" but I've actually come to love that

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
sidewas lightnin...
Mar 17 2009, 09:43 PM
GMC:er
The first time i used it I noticed this too
its a great product for everything else it does, and so I just decided to play without slides for a while and after a few minutes, it cleared up a lot.

--------------------
I spelled my username wrong...I didn't even think that was possible!

Look at the topic for my guitar...
Finished Guitar Build

Gear:
Homemade strat (You still need to look at its topic!)
Squier strat (probably going to get rid of it and get another guitar instead) :)
Line 6 spider amp (not actually used for anything, just acts as a speaker)
Digitech Gnx2 (kind of old, but cheap, and sounds amazing!)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:17 AM