2 Pages V   1 2 >  
How To Conquer "i'm Old And Will Never Be..."?
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 3 2016, 04:16 PM
Learning Rock Star
...a talent like Jason Becker was or any of the other famous guitar players that were already prolific guitar players in their teenage years?

I'm having a bit of a crisis today regarding the above laugh.gif I'm seeing all these amazing guitar players, and I'm thinking: "why didn't I practice properly for the last 10 years, so I could be really good today?". Of course there's nothing I can do about it now, except practice properly for the next ten years and become that 37 year old dude who suddenly became good at guitar. I know it's never too late, but just today it's a bit discouraging knowing that players like Jason Becker was 18 and could play like he could at the time, or some other young talents out there. I know they played a lot more than I have done, so there's a logical explanation to it, but you know, sometimes it would be nice to have a time machine to go back and do things over smile.gif

How do you fight thoughts like the above? smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Aug 3 2016, 04:18 PM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Aug 3 2016, 05:09 PM
Learning Roadie
I'm 43 on Friday, think how I feel!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Aug 3 2016, 06:39 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I'm that 37 year old, but you are arguably already ahead of me. You can only go forward so why worry about it? I will add that I often look at people 10-15 years younger than me (especially with no kids) and it frustrates me almost to the point of anger to see how much time is just wasted. I was completely guilty of that, but I'll never get it back. Spend each moment well and focus on where you want to go.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Aug 3 2016, 08:26 PM
Learning Tone Master
Ben , always an optimist. You really think society is going to last 10 wink.gif
are you saying 27 now, you got plenty of time.
man i wish i had that time
you can at least take solace in showing me how close to death 49 is

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Aug 3 2016, 10:13 PM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 3 2016, 03:16 PM) *

I'm no expert, but everyone's life has its own rhythm. Jason's may be different than mine or yours. Not better, just different. That said, frustration is usually a sign of being too attached to outcomes. Music is supposed to be about finding joy in playing. Enjoy the journey and don't fixate on the what's at the end of the road.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 3 2016, 10:19 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Rammikin @ Aug 3 2016, 11:13 PM) *
I'm no expert, but everyone's life has its own rhythm. Jason's may be different than mine or yours. Not better, just different. That said, frustration is usually a sign of being too attached to outcomes. Music is supposed to be about finding joy in playing. Enjoy the journey and don't fixate on the what's at the end of the road.

Of course when I think rationally about it, I agree with what you said. It's not all days that are like this of course. Just sometimes I get that: "DANG! They're really good and I feel like I'll never reach that level!", but as said, there's a logical explanation for that.

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Aug 3 2016, 09:26 PM) *
Ben , always an optimist. You really think society is going to last 10 wink.gif
are you saying 27 now, you got plenty of time.
man i wish i had that time
you can at least take solace in showing me how close to death 49 is

laugh.gif

Are you saying I can't bring my guitar with me when society breaks down? sad.gif

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Aug 3 2016, 07:39 PM) *
I'm that 37 year old, but you are arguably already ahead of me. You can only go forward so why worry about it? I will add that I often look at people 10-15 years younger than me (especially with no kids) and it frustrates me almost to the point of anger to see how much time is just wasted. I was completely guilty of that, but I'll never get it back. Spend each moment well and focus on where you want to go.

I mostly feel this about myself. To anyone else I'd go: "It's never too late, and it's great that you're doing something!". I've been guilty of exactly wasting my time too. And I've had a lot of time in the last few years, but very little motivation, iniative or drive. It's kind of returning though.

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Aug 3 2016, 06:09 PM) *
I'm 43 on Friday, think how I feel!

I knew I'd get a few of these: "I'm older than you, think about how I feel"-posts smile.gif The point was probably more so that it's a thought that can occur at any age. 27 or 43. It's never too late of course, but joining the 27-club of rockstars seems like it's not happening for me. Not that I'd want to join THAT club, but you get my drift.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 4 2016, 07:46 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I feel your frustration Ben.
I have had guitars for twenty five years and I never really got anywhere for twenty two of those. I had all the Troy Stetina books, and loads of other self teaching things. I'd pick up a guitar, noodle for ten minutes, get out a Stetina book do a couple of exercises put it away for a week. Bad practice = lack of progress = lack of inspiration to practice and so the circle continued.
I joined GMC when I was 48 and even though my progress is not quick I know why, mainly because I only have about an hour and a half day to practise. I think there is always an element of natural ability too, this is why there are people like Becker, Vai, Satch, Phil Taylor, Usain Bolt etc but, they still all had to put the hours in. 15 a day in Vai's case.
I had a chat with Gab recently about looking for shortcuts etc and you can read it HERE, I outlined my frustrations and we came up with a new routine that I am now really enjoying.
I now enjoy each note I play, I no longer get frustrated I just accept it for what it is and enjoy the fact that I am moving forward and that is better than the guy down the road with immense amounts of natural talent not progressing because he doesn't apply himself.
It's a bit of a GMC mantra but you have to enjoy the journey, some of us will stop off for longer at various ports of call but nobody reaches the horizon, some just appear to have reached it but when you reach them you realise that they are still on their journey.
You play well Ben, enjoy building on what you've got, appreciate each step as you would watching a plant grow from a seed, it's just as beautiful a process.
Lastly. Check out the cartoon Jason did for me not long after I'd joined. They got me sussed pretty quickly wink.gif
Hope this helps buddy.
Phil smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Aug 4 2016, 07:53 AM
Learning Tone Master
Ben, you are still young. I have 38 years old and guess what...I really don't care about my age. Of course I truly believe that I'm immortal so... the time will not be a problem for me to reach the level that I wish laugh.gif
I never think at the things that I didn't made in the past. If I not made something probably I had a good reason at that moment. So...if I can not turn back the time and do things in other way, why should let these kind of thoughts to grieve me?
I'm very focused in the present and at this moment I know that I dedicate absolutely all my time for practice. If I will be a good guitarist when I will have 50 years I will be happy. If I will never be a good guitarist I will also be happy because I will know that I made everything was possible for this. It's more important and healthy to think what you can do from now on wink.gif

+Quote Post
Tom51
Aug 4 2016, 12:22 PM
Learning Roadie
Ohh Ben biggrin.gif I fully understand what you are saying and I also regret that I never had the courage to start guitar playing when I was that young which was in the 70ies. I much admired rock music as teenager but was never self confident enough to ask my parents to buy me a cheap acoustic.
But hey... there is nothing we can change about it and I am now happy that I started guitar playing at the age of 51!
So in november I will be playing for 2 years now. Sure I will never be a good player but I enjoy my time with the guitar and very slowly get better. I think that is the reason why most of use are here...

This post has been edited by Tom51: Aug 4 2016, 12:23 PM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 4 2016, 12:36 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 4 2016, 08:46 AM) *
I feel your frustration Ben.
I have had guitars for twenty five years and I never really got anywhere for twenty two of those. I had all the Troy Stetina books, and loads of other self teaching things. I'd pick up a guitar, noodle for ten minutes, get out a Stetina book do a couple of exercises put it away for a week. Bad practice = lack of progress = lack of inspiration to practice and so the circle continued.
I joined GMC when I was 48 and even though my progress is not quick I know why, mainly because I only have about an hour and a half day to practise. I think there is always an element of natural ability too, this is why there are people like Becker, Vai, Satch, Phil Taylor, Usain Bolt etc but, they still all had to put the hours in. 15 a day in Vai's case.
I had a chat with Gab recently about looking for shortcuts etc and you can read it HERE, I outlined my frustrations and we came up with a new routine that I am now really enjoying.
I now enjoy each note I play, I no longer get frustrated I just accept it for what it is and enjoy the fact that I am moving forward and that is better than the guy down the road with immense amounts of natural talent not progressing because he doesn't apply himself.
It's a bit of a GMC mantra but you have to enjoy the journey, some of us will stop off for longer at various ports of call but nobody reaches the horizon, some just appear to have reached it but when you reach them you realise that they are still on their journey.
You play well Ben, enjoy building on what you've got, appreciate each step as you would watching a plant grow from a seed, it's just as beautiful a process.
Lastly. Check out the cartoon Jason did for me not long after I'd joined. They got me sussed pretty quickly wink.gif
Hope this helps buddy.
Phil smile.gif

Thanks for the lengthy reply, Phil.

I agree with what you say. I just sometimes feel like I've wasted years where I could have put in a lot of practice time. I've had the time, just not the motivation, and soon I will have less time smile.gif

QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Aug 4 2016, 08:53 AM) *
Ben, you are still young. I have 38 years old and guess what...I really don't care about my age. Of course I truly believe that I'm immortal so... the time will not be a problem for me to reach the level that I wish laugh.gif
I never think at the things that I didn't made in the past. If I not made something probably I had a good reason at that moment. So...if I can not turn back the time and do things in other way, why should let these kind of thoughts to grieve me?
I'm very focused in the present and at this moment I know that I dedicate absolutely all my time for practice. If I will be a good guitarist when I will have 50 years I will be happy. If I will never be a good guitarist I will also be happy because I will know that I made everything was possible for this. It's more important and healthy to think what you can do from now on wink.gif

Thanks for the reply, Monica. As said, it's not that I think these things every day, but sometimes the thought comes to me when I'm not able to parry it away smile.gif

QUOTE (Tom51 @ Aug 4 2016, 01:22 PM) *
Ohh Ben biggrin.gif I fully understand what you are saying and I also regret that I never had the courage to start guitar playing when I was that young which was in the 70ies. I much admired rock music as teenager but was never self confident enough to ask my parents to buy me a cheap acoustic.
But hey... there is nothing we can change about it and I am now happy that I started guitar playing at the age of 51!
So in november I will be playing for 2 years now. Sure I will never be a good player but I enjoy my time with the guitar and very slowly get better. I think that is the reason why most of use are here...

Don't get me wrong, if I don't become the new guitar god, I won't feel totally let down. I know there are reasons.

Also, I'm not saying that it's ever too late, cause I would say to anyone else: "It's never too late!".

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 4 2016, 01:13 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 4 2016, 12:36 PM) *
Thanks for the lengthy reply, Phil.

I agree with what you say. I just sometimes feel like I've wasted years where I could have put in a lot of practice time. I've had the time, just not the motivation, and soon I will have less time smile.gif

I know how you feel Ben, I really do, but, I've come to realise that there is absolutely no point beating yourself up about it. Our yesterdays have gone, learn from them but let them go, make the most of now. What's done is done, no point looking back, look the way you are going and that is forward.

Cheers buddy.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 4 2016, 04:06 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 4 2016, 02:13 PM) *
I know how you feel Ben, I really do, but, I've come to realise that there is absolutely no point beating yourself up about it. Our yesterdays have gone, learn from them but let them go, make the most of now. What's done is done, no point looking back, look the way you are going and that is forward.

Cheers buddy.

That is true of course. Some days it's just harder than others. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toxicity
Aug 4 2016, 04:10 PM
GMC:er
I hear you! I actually quit guitar the first time around when I felt I was 'over the hill' at the grand old age of 23, after watching a college kid playing some incredible Yngwie type licks at a local venue smile.gif

I try not to compare myself to anyone else these days - I just aim to be better tomorrow than I am today, that's all that matters. Besides, in my 40s there are still decades of learning and developing yet - I am kinda looking forward to being a gnarly old kick ass blues player when I am in my seventies smile.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 4 2016, 06:19 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Toxicity @ Aug 4 2016, 05:10 PM) *
I hear you! I actually quit guitar the first time around when I felt I was 'over the hill' at the grand old age of 23, after watching a college kid playing some incredible Yngwie type licks at a local venue smile.gif

I try not to compare myself to anyone else these days - I just aim to be better tomorrow than I am today, that's all that matters. Besides, in my 40s there are still decades of learning and developing yet - I am kinda looking forward to being a gnarly old kick ass blues player when I am in my seventies smile.gif

I can definitely see myself in that. It takes some work to not get pulled down sometimes smile.gif For about 3 years I touched my guitar maybe a total of 2 hours. It was just sitting on the wall, and at one point even in the attic. Now's the time to kick back at it all and get good smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 4 2016, 07:23 PM
Thankfully, in the end, all that matters is the Music. If your good, you can keep playing til your on pension bennies smile.gif Look at Eddie VanHalen, I know, he was good when very young, but getting old certainly didnt' stop him, or Yngwie, or Jeff Beck, or any of them. Being very very young and talented/gifted like Jason Becker, Paul Gilbert, etc. Would certainly be spiff smile.gif But many of those guys have to spend the rest of their lives trying to improve on near perfection that the recorded in their teens. Paul Gilbert was playing about the same as he does now, when he was 17 at Musicians Institute. Some players don't pick up the instrument til much later. Bottom line, if you make good music, it really doesn't matter smile.gif

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 3 2016, 11:16 AM) *
...a talent like Jason Becker was or any of the other famous guitar players that were already prolific guitar players in their teenage years?

I'm having a bit of a crisis today regarding the above laugh.gif I'm seeing all these amazing guitar players, and I'm thinking: "why didn't I practice properly for the last 10 years, so I could be really good today?". Of course there's nothing I can do about it now, except practice properly for the next ten years and become that 37 year old dude who suddenly became good at guitar. I know it's never too late, but just today it's a bit discouraging knowing that players like Jason Becker was 18 and could play like he could at the time, or some other young talents out there. I know they played a lot more than I have done, so there's a logical explanation to it, but you know, sometimes it would be nice to have a time machine to go back and do things over smile.gif

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Aug 5 2016, 08:30 AM
Learning Roadie
As we get older I wonder if we need to re-evaluate what success as a guitarist is to us, redefine our goals or just re-plan our steps to attaining our goals.

It seems both from my experience and others in this thread we put a lot of pressure on ourselves and beat ourselves up.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 5 2016, 12:59 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 4 2016, 08:23 PM) *
Thankfully, in the end, all that matters is the Music. If your good, you can keep playing til your on pension bennies smile.gif Look at Eddie VanHalen, I know, he was good when very young, but getting old certainly didnt' stop him, or Yngwie, or Jeff Beck, or any of them. Being very very young and talented/gifted like Jason Becker, Paul Gilbert, etc. Would certainly be spiff smile.gif But many of those guys have to spend the rest of their lives trying to improve on near perfection that the recorded in their teens. Paul Gilbert was playing about the same as he does now, when he was 17 at Musicians Institute. Some players don't pick up the instrument til much later. Bottom line, if you make good music, it really doesn't matter smile.gif

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's too late, but when I started playing as a 13 year old I practiced a lot in the beginning. And at age 15 to 16 about 2 hours each day. I know some people practiced more. That was 11-12 years ago and it's the last time I for real practiced technique. Sometimes I wonder: "what if I had kept that up? Where would I be today?" smile.gif

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Aug 5 2016, 09:30 AM) *
As we get older I wonder if we need to re-evaluate what success as a guitarist is to us, redefine our goals or just re-plan our steps to attaining our goals.

It seems both from my experience and others in this thread we put a lot of pressure on ourselves and beat ourselves up.

That's good advice.

I think some of it comes down to the fact that we I ever to get (a lot) better and have a bit of a breakthrough on the internet guitar scene or whatever it might be, then you know, it will be "late" in life and not as a teenager or whatever. For some reason it's more impressive if someone is good at age 17 than 27 smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 7 2016, 09:58 AM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 5 2016, 12:59 PM) *
For some reason it's more impressive if someone is good at age 17 than 27 smile.gif

That 17 year old was probably amazing at 12 too Ben. The word prodigy comes to mind with people like Becker. Don't be hard on yourself mate, from what I've seen, your playing is great. It takes as long as it takes,. Just enjoy it. Wow! I've just realised I'm a master of not following my own advice laugh.gif

I found this inspiring and humbling at the same time. This girl has put the hours in and is now one of those 17 year olds you speak of though not, as far as i know, writing her own material yet, or at least she hasn't published any yet.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 7 2016, 10:00 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 7 2016, 01:03 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 7 2016, 10:58 AM) *
That 17 year old was probably amazing at 12 too Ben. The word prodigy comes to mind with people like Becker. Don't be hard on yourself mate, from what I've seen, your playing is great. It takes as long as it takes,. Just enjoy it. Wow! I've just realised I'm a master of not following my own advice laugh.gif

I found this inspiring and humbling at the same time. This girl has put the hours in and is now one of those 17 year olds you speak of though not, as far as i know, writing her own material yet, or at least she hasn't published any yet.

Yeah, it's "do as I say, not as I do!" smile.gif

I've stumbled across Tina S a few times. She's an amazing player smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
KenA
Aug 8 2016, 12:52 AM
That's a good post and subject. I just turned 49 years old and if I could set a date/time when I started on guitar, I could say October 2008 when I got a streamlined acoustic. It's quite a long story to be told, I do have a musical background from my teens (piano and drums), enjoyed all the 80ies, musical scene in LA and NY and so on, but I was a lost boy. (musically and life wise speaking)

I only really started to understand 'life' after 30 something years of age. It's hard to describe, but in sum all the small things I did: travel, work, music, college, etc although at that time they didn't make much sense, in the end that combo showed me several truths about life in general and I started to understand myself better, got more self-steamed, etc Not to forget that I also worked in a car factory in Japan in the 90ies that helped me understand other facets of life I had never saw before.

I believe that for those guitar heroes mentioned in the post, the guitar itself was the vehicle that brought some meaning for their lives and unconsciously they immersed so deeply into guitar playing and ended up, well, we all know how. And not the other way 'round: when we're young there's not much reasoning and strategies, but instead there's an immense passion, plus it's also some kind of scape from reality

So age itself is not the only factor that justifies the 'will never be'. It's a combination of several variables that may eventually determine if one is going to be or not.

--------------------
===KenA===

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:27 AM