2 Pages V   1 2 >  
2009!
Roko
Dec 29 2008, 08:08 AM
GMC:er
This post goes out to all GMCers, whether they be strumming their first power chords, or sweep picking through canon rock. It's a simple two-part question, but one that I really thought about. I think organizing your goals makes them that much easier to attain. So here it is:
1. What have you accomplished in the last year pertaining to guitar, and
2. What do you hope to accomplish next year?
Good Luck in 2009!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Dec 29 2008, 12:25 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
I think this is a great idea!
1. This year, I was able to improve my rhythm playing (I already play rhythm guitar for 14 years) considering fast and galopping metal rhythms and to implement some solo leads into my playing. During the last month, thanks to GMC, I started and quickly improved my solo playing.
2. Next year, I want to improve the soloing further, I especially want to focus on fast alternate picking runs (Petrucci style) combined with legato. When I achieved that, I am going to focus on sweep picking.
I think this will be enough for next year, as I will still have to practice rhythm techniques as well!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 29 2008, 12:35 PM
Instructor
1. I finally bought the basic gear I need.
2. I hope I will create more great songs, broaden my technique and music style range, and get some new gear of course biggrin.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
superize
Dec 29 2008, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
1. I have improved my playing alot on all fronts, Rythm Soloing,theory knowledge etc.......
2. I want to improve my playing further most of all my solo playing and i also want to imrpove my songwriting skill and write some great songs.....

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Zynex
Dec 29 2008, 01:02 PM
1. I improved my soloing and phrasing alot this year. Also my band has been writing many new songs biggrin.gif!
2. I want to improve my right hand technique and hand synchronisation. Also I want to have more gigs with my band this year.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Dec 29 2008, 01:16 PM
1. I improved my vibrato, bends, legato and phrasing this year. I also write better songs than I used to.
2. I want to improve vibrato, bends, legato, phrasing, speedpicking, sweeping and tapping (Daniele Gottardo-style).

(Nice topic by the way smile.gif It's good to write your goals down. We should bump this when 2009 is almost over.)

This post has been edited by SonofDestiny: Dec 29 2008, 01:17 PM

--------------------
Wishlist: the world.

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Dec 29 2008, 01:33 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
1.Im looking to lose the rest of the weight I set out to do a year ago. Total will 55lbs. I am about 20 lbs shy.
2. Not 1 but 2 steps closer to shredsville. I thinki with the 3 months I have been here I have accomplished one step. At that rate Im hoping to be a few more steps closer.
-Improve Theory Understanding
-Improve Overall Technique
-Becoming a bit more faster

Happy New Years! smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
Martin la guitar...
Dec 29 2008, 01:39 PM
1. I have improved my guitar playing (both lead and rhythm). I have improved my palm muting technique and my vibrato aswell as legato.
2. Next year will be my "break through" with the guitar (i hope tongue.gif). I will join a band and I will practice 2 hours with the metronome with different kinds of exercises. I will also start learning theory. I am also going to start studying Metallicas riffs and licks and write my own material inspired by them (When its 2010 i will study Jimi hendrix)

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Dec 29 2008, 01:54 PM
1. Learned to sweep, got my legato pretty mean.
2. I need to learn to tap better! Also I need to work on my rhythm playing alot!

+Quote Post
Iluha
Dec 29 2008, 02:36 PM
QUOTE (Roko @ Dec 29 2008, 09:08 AM) *
This post goes out to all GMCers, whether they be strumming their first power chords, or sweep picking through canon rock. It's a simple two-part question, but one that I really thought about. I think organizing your goals makes them that much easier to attain. So here it is:
1. What have you accomplished in the last year pertaining to guitar, and
2. What do you hope to accomplish next year?
Good Luck in 2009!

1. I really started establishing myself as a musician, finding my playing style and "musical identity"(if that makes sense to you tongue.gif). I also started getting alot of band experience, while until 2008 I didn't play in any band, but this year I was part of 6 diffrent bands, and right now I'm in 3 of those still(1 band as the lead guitarist, 1 cover band as a bassist, and the band I started in which on some songs I'm on guitar, and the others on Bass).

Speaking of Bass, I had my bass guitar lying in my room for 2 years gaining dust, so this year I can mark the accomplishment of playing the bass and getting rather good at it, I don't think I sound like a "guitarist playing the bass" anymore smile.gif

2. I hope to achieve some success with atleast one of the bands, I hope to further develop my playing style.
Equipment wise: I'm planning on buying a new guitar this year, so far my mind is set on a fender custom, but it can change any minute, plus I'm finally gonna buy some stand-alone effects so that I can get Stage Ready.

GMC wise: I'm finally gonna get realesed from the army in about a month(it's been 3 long long years..), so I hope that I will have the time to do the things I started here(my Virtual Band, Practice Groups, my Practice Agenda, and other things), and be more present on the boards in general. plus, I hope to be able to join the MTP program sometime this year, I really need someone to guide me on the more tedious aspects of guitar playing, which for me are generally Alternate Picking and muting while Sweep Picking.

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Dec 29 2008, 02:37 PM
1. Learned to sweep, improve legato, greatly improved acuraccy, greatly improved speed, downpicking speed increased, learned 3 more scales.
2. Need to work on Theory and jazz playing.

This post has been edited by Guitarman700: Dec 29 2008, 02:39 PM

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
Disturbed21
Dec 29 2008, 05:54 PM
1. I've improved my accuracy and speed on the guitar and have gained a lot of theory knowledge
2. I plan to play Raining Blood (Although this song might be a little too much even with improvements next year) and to improve on shred and theory. Maybe even finish up on a few songs I'm writing.
biggrin.gif

--------------------
Enter The Doom And Gloom If You Dare Below This Message

http://www.last.fm/user/Disturbed21

and add if you want...

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Dec 29 2008, 06:12 PM
Learning Tone Master
1. I bought three guitars, each in the range of 1000Euro and I blasted my whole money I earned from Civil service...but I don't regret it^^ I improved my timing and riffing up to the point where I can play all the songs I ever wanted to play on the rythm guitar (Even Slayer^^). I finally started to learn some theory, learned the major and minor scale. I am now able to play shredding runs up an down the neck both with speedpicking and legato, I can sweep pick in a decent speed now. I worked on my damping and dynamic picking motions; I can play guitar standing up with the guitar hanging very low (finally) and I've written my first songs.

I started to play the bass with fingerstyle picking and became quite good at it, I joined a band, I left a band, I had countless jamsessions and I learned to improvise.

2. I need more theory knowledge and I must get myself to learn some chords ( I can play shredding solos but I don't know more than the standard chords and the power chord - what a shame!!!). I want my playing to become even tighter and cleaner. I would like to form/join a metal band on guitar. I will improve my still very bad legato and incorporate tapping into my style. I would like to be able to play my favourite bands solos within the next year and of course: I would like to BUY MORE EQUIPMENT^^

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Paiva
Dec 29 2008, 08:10 PM
1- I got better at vibrato, improvising (learned all the modes and of course pentatonics!), tapping, general soloing, learned some theory, got better on classical guitar, got better on jazz, learned how to use a pick so now I can fingerpicking and normally pick well biggrin.gif sweep picking (not very clean yet!)

2- Need to get my phrasing better using more different techniques, focus more on the rhythm, better timing, write some songs, learn more theory, improve more than last year

This year actually I learned a lot of things and got much better in many ways lets see if I can beat that in 2009 ( I hope so!)

EDIT: Forgot to say that today I started to improve my legato tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Paiva: Dec 29 2008, 08:11 PM

--------------------
GEAR:

Guitars:
PRS SE Custom
Epiphone SG Special
Antonio Pinto de Carvalho Classical Guitar
Fender 12 strings
[/color]

Amp:
Epiphone Studio 10s combo
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe!!!!!!!!!!

Pedals:
Kork AX5G
Boss RC-2

2nd song :) Please go check it and post something ;) (again link below)

+Quote Post
Dreamcatcher
Dec 29 2008, 08:12 PM
1. Found GMC
2. Play without hitting every other string than the one I wanted to hit in the first place!!

This post has been edited by Dreamcatcher: Dec 29 2008, 08:13 PM

--------------------
" Free Your Mind and Your Axe Will Follow" Vernon Reid (Living Colour)

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Dec 29 2008, 09:07 PM
1) I have learned a heck of a lot of theory, at least compared to what I knew before, as well as how to apply it.
2) Be able to play something in my mind without having to think about it! Or at least as little as possible.

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Dec 29 2008, 09:20 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
1:
I have gotten much better at the stuff I already knew, and learned quite a few tricks I didn't know before.
I've got most of the gear I need, but still a few items left smile.gif

2:
I will record an album in 2009, and get even better at guitar smile.gif

+Quote Post
bladzerok
Dec 29 2008, 09:40 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
it was quite a good year for me in terms of electric guitar laugh.gif
so:
1- i got used to play while standing up, i improved my rythm playing, i play cleaner, i learned to improvise over a simple backing, i learned the chords and scale basics(modes, sevents chords, aug.chord etc...) i learned the sweep picking, alternate picking and tapping basics and i learned how to make some cool legato runs. i also joined a band and started composing

2- next year i want to improve sweeps, tapping and string skipping.but before i really want to be able to play perfectly clean before learning lore complicate techniques. i also want to learn a lot more music theory and learn to improvise over more complicated backing (with chord changes).

--------------------
My gears are:
guitars:
-simon and patrick accoustic guitar
-ovation accoustic guitar
-Ibanez S320 electric guitar
-Ibanez RG7321 electric guitar
amp:
-Peavey valveking 112
effects:
-Boss SD-1
-Dunlop crybaby from hell
-Boss GE-7 7-Band Equaliser
-Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor

+Quote Post
jdriver
Dec 30 2008, 08:13 AM
1. Decided to buy a guitar and learn it, found GMC, learned all pentatonic scales, all diatonic scales and modes, and consistent alternate picking habit.

2. Greatly increase speed of playing longer runs and chord changes, and in general learn more ways to diversify my improvising.

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 31 2008, 12:00 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
1. I have played a lot with my band and finally we got our CD released! Finally finished all the the exams I had in college.Practiced bass a lot and met many new friends!
2.Get the remaining gear I really want for quite some time, practice playing a lot more then in previous year and make huge progress towards second album with my bend!

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Dec 31 2008, 12:00 AM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:40 PM