Why Are These So Expensive?
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 27 2017, 02:06 PM
Instructor
I've found this cool new demo of Govan's guitar. The playing and tone on this one are amazing, but my question is:

Why are these so expensive?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Nov 27 2017, 02:10 PM
Learning Tone Master
cause if you buy one , you will sound and play just like him ?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 27 2017, 02:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Nov 27 2017, 10:10 AM) *

Oh! All these wasted years practicing!!! tongue.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Nov 27 2017, 02:55 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Nov 27 2017, 02:10 PM) *

laugh.gif
Well, I hope it works with this one!! I've owned all kinds of Signature models (a JEM, a JS, several 'name' Strats to name a few) over the years and none of them made me sound like the related Artist!! Most notably was probably a Dimebag, didn't make me sound anything like him!!! If anything it actually made me sound worse than I did already!!
That was when I gave up on that plan!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 27 2017, 02:16 PM) *
Oh! All these wasted years practicing!!! tongue.gif

Perhaps you should have bought the Iron Maiden Signature models for that??
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij99dud8-0A

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Nov 27 2017, 02:59 PM

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 27 2017, 03:30 PM
Instructor
hahaha I've never bought a signature model.... laugh.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Nov 27 2017, 04:08 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 27 2017, 03:30 PM) *
hahaha I've never bought a signature model.... laugh.gif

That's because you have your own Signature one now!!!!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 27 2017, 05:12 PM
Looking at spec.s; http://www.charvel.com/guitars/artist/guth...rboard-natural/

Custom PU's; probably hand wound
Caramelizing; Baking term for Charvel, the baking must be very controlled and takes time so the wood won't crack
Compound radious; Fender to my knowledge keeps this feature premium on its models
Inlays; Must be handmade
Bridge; Probably made a limited number (no tunning wheels)
the pictures show a tremel-no

So in reality, its not a Charvel at all biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Nov 27 2017, 05:50 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Signature models are for suckers and always over priced unless your'e the guy who's signature is on it. (Sorry Jonesey) Why anyone would buy a guitar that was built for someone else I'll never know unless you are a collector I guess. You are better off with a custom shop guitar if you don't mind spending the extra coin.

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Nov 27 2017, 05:52 PM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 27 2017, 07:11 PM
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Nov 27 2017, 04:50 PM) *

I'm also not very big on sig. guitars but to my understanding, one takes a guitar player who he/she is a fan of as a school too.

By school I mean trusting the source comletely to take you to the next level, even things that can be desigions. So the personalized guitar can be a part of this, as that guitar player is better/more experienced than the student. The student believes the spec.s are perfect and he must shape himself through it.

It can be cool too, not long ago I played the funny shaped chinese made Paul Gilbert guitar and really liked it (priced resonable). But what turns me off is they frequently change sponsors/gear for more money.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Nov 27 2017, 07:13 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 27 2017, 08:31 PM
I like his tone better than the eric johnson vid to be sure. Both are AMAZING players no doubt. He has more attack and a bit more aggression in his tone. But still, both guys are GODS of the instrument IMHO smile.gif

Those are pricey cause he specd them out with really nice bits and it's got his name on it so they have to pay him for each one they sell.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 27 2017, 09:06 AM) *
I've found this cool new demo of Govan's guitar. The playing and tone on this one are amazing, but my question is:

Why are these so expensive?

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 27 2017, 09:41 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Of course, signature models are not worth the money, and won't make you sound like the signing artist, and nobody really buys them, I mean, look at the Les Paul!!!!!!!! tongue.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Nov 27 2017, 09:58 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 27 2017, 12:41 PM) *
Of course, signature models are not worth the money, and won't make you sound like the signing artist, and nobody really buys them, I mean, look at the Les Paul!!!!!!!! tongue.gif

Hahahaa! Touche'! laugh.gif
So I guess that makes this Les Paul a double signature model, hence the price tag. It is beautiful though isn't it?

Attached Image

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Nov 27 2017, 11:56 PM

+Quote Post
bleez
Nov 28 2017, 07:47 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Nov 27 2017, 08:58 PM) *
Hahahaa! Touche'! laugh.gif
So I guess that makes this Les Paul a double signature model, hence the price tag. It is beautiful though isn't it?

Attached Image

ohmy.gif Its beautiful and perfect. wub.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 28 2017, 02:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Nov 27 2017, 12:08 PM) *
That's because you have your own Signature one now!!!!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Good point! cool.gif

I've always seen signature models as a block to finding our own style / personality on guitar. Don't you think so?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Nov 28 2017, 10:53 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Nov 27 2017, 02:55 PM) *
laugh.gif
Well, I hope it works with this one!! I've owned all kinds of Signature models (a JEM, a JS, several 'name' Strats to name a few) over the years and none of them made me sound like the related Artist!! Most notably was probably a Dimebag, didn't make me sound anything like him!!! If anything it actually made me sound worse than I did already!!
That was when I gave up on that plan!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Perhaps you should have bought the Iron Maiden Signature models for that??
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
[

that's why I have always sucked , being left handed I have never had a signature to buy so I would sound good . Who do us lefties have "Zacky vengence " phh

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 29 2017, 12:18 AM
To some degree, learning cover tunes can have the same effect. It can make you end up sounding like a second rate version of whoever you are playing covers from. However, I'm not saying playing covers is bad, in fact it's a GREAT way to stay motivated as it's fun to play cover versions of songs that you love and fun to figure them out. smile.gif

I don't know if playing a signature guitar would be a stumbling block though? It's just a guitar after all. I don't see how much impact it could have to be honest?

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 28 2017, 09:51 AM) *
Good point! cool.gif

I've always seen signature models as a block to finding our own style / personality on guitar. Don't you think so?

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Nov 29 2017, 01:49 AM
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Nov 27 2017, 05:50 PM) *
Signature models are for suckers and always over priced unless your'e the guy who's signature is on it. (Sorry Jonesey) Why anyone would buy a guitar that was built for someone else I'll never know unless you are a collector I guess. You are better off with a custom shop guitar if you don't mind spending the extra coin.

No offence taken mate! I quite agree with you! Most of the ones I've owned were bought because I liked the instrument in itself or because I got them for less than market value.
Admittedly, if I really wanted a 'Sensible Jones' signature model now I'd just build it for myself! Thinking of which I guess there is a small part of me in every instrument I have built, so all my previous builds have all been SJ Sigs!!
laugh.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 28 2017, 02:51 PM) *
Good point! cool.gif

Absolutely Gab. we all know a JEM or a JS won't make us play like Vai or Satch but using these instruments may help us find the sound we're looking for!
One of the best Signature guitars that I enjoyed playing the most was a Robert Cray Strat (wish I still had to TBH!), at the time I had it and was playing it, it was perfect for making 'me' sound like 'me'!! There are still quite a few I'd like to try out including the Buddy Guy, Bonnie Raitt and the Rory Gallagher one.
smile.gif

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Nov 28 2017, 10:53 PM) *
that's why I have always sucked , being left handed I have never had a signature to buy so I would sound good . Who do us lefties have "Zacky vengence " phh

laugh.gif laugh.gif
Hendrix? Tony Iommi? Kurt Cobain? Tim Armstrong? Thay all have sig models available!!

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Nov 29 2017, 01:58 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 29 2017, 02:48 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 28 2017, 08:18 PM) *
I don't know if playing a signature guitar would be a stumbling block though? It's just a guitar after all. I don't see how much impact it could have to be honest?

I know that it's something personal and subjetive. But everytime I see a guitarist with a signature guitar as his main guitar, my interest or curiosity on his playing decreases. Something in my mind says that I won't find anything special or unique. It mostly happens to me with the most known models, as the white Steve Vai Jem, or Malmsteen Signature. In most of the cases, the guitarists try to emulate their playing too and that makes it boring.

I think that it has a similar impact in other people that at first will think... oh, another Steve Vai wanna be.

Besides this, I think that those guitars are specially designed for one person. In the search of individuality and our own voice, I don't think that getting the signature of our idol can help. Don't you think so?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Nov 29 2017, 08:08 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 29 2017, 05:48 AM) *
I know that it's something personal and subjetive. But everytime I see a guitarist with a signature guitar as his main guitar, my interest or curiosity on his playing decreases. Something in my mind says that I won't find anything special or unique. It mostly happens to me with the most known models, as the white Steve Vai Jem, or Malmsteen Signature. In most of the cases, the guitarists try to emulate their playing too and that makes it boring.

I think that it has a similar impact in other people that at first will think... oh, another Steve Vai wanna be.

Besides this, I think that those guitars are specially designed for one person. In the search of individuality and our own voice, I don't think that getting the signature of our idol can help. Don't you think so?

+1 I couldn't agree more with this. Whats good for Joe or Steve or Kirk or Yngwie etc is not going to be good for us the vast majority of the time. As I said before we would be better off spending the extra money on, or building a custom guitar and putting your own name on it.
The same goes for our playing. It's great to explore the techniques of our guitar idols and emulate that but it's best to spread it around and explore many different artists techniques and styles of playing and composing that we identify with and use them all, or what we find best from those things in developing our own styles with our own names on it. Let people hear the influences in your playing instead of seeing them on the headstock of your guitar or in the guitar itself. Pick up the music of your idols and take it to a new place that is yours and develop new things that may be a combination of many influences including ideas of your own which will naturally come the longer you continue to study and play.
Buying that signature guitar may actually set up a block that limits us from growing and evolving musically to our full potential.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 30 2017, 11:09 PM
Ahh I think I understand now smile.gif Yes, I have had the same reaction many times. I know it's wrong to judge based on just the guitar but it's almost an instinctive reaction. You almost expect them to sound like a second rate copy of whatever signature artists guitar they are playing smile.gif

I suppose it's sort of natural. some of those instruments are really good, but many are just over priced because they have to pay a royalty to someone famous. Every time I see a DIME guitar with the lightning bolt, I expect to hear watered down DIME before they start playing. Sometimes I'm surprised and the playing is good smile.gif Sometimes not. If they have DIME's hair as well as his guitar, it usually is a bad sign smile.gif

I've worked in music retail and seen young players beg parents for the signature model of an instrument when the same instrument can be had for much less without the signature and one or two small differences. I've seen it sell guitars. The buyers often seem convinced that having this one guitar is the thing that will make them a better player. While it may motivate extra practice, at least in the short term, no guitar will "make" you better. Some guitars may be easier to play but you are the musician that you are based on your practice and time spent playing. I quit saying this to new players when they were buying guitars. It seemed to depress them. So when they came in asking for the YNGWIE or VAI guitar, I just pointed them in the right direction. smile.gif Some things we have to learn for ourselves.

Todd

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 29 2017, 09:48 AM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 30 2017, 11:13 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:50 AM