Opinions On Mix And Sound Of Orchestra, Little intro bit I am working on
The Uncreator
Jul 11 2010, 09:03 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Hey guys, I got a slightly older version of EDIROL orchestra from my Uncle, Not the newest or anything, but still way better than what I have. So I spent a good bit of time just messing around with ideas I have had laying around, let me know what you think of it! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Full_Jovian_Intro.mp3 ( 5.19MB ) Number of downloads: 158

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 11 2010, 10:28 PM
Ok, File is now MP3, Much easier to listen to! wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
OzRob
Jul 12 2010, 08:15 AM
GMC:er
The ideas and arrangement are pretty good IMO. Unfortunately the sounds lack realism. When you have the opportunity to use some decent samples such as Kontakt or EWQL you will have a winner here.

--------------------
------------------------
My website (Flash) My other website (non-Flash)
------------------------

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
Jul 12 2010, 09:14 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jul 11 2010, 09:03 PM) *
Hey guys, I got a slightly older version of EDIROL orchestra from my Uncle, Not the newest or anything, but still way better than what I have. So I spent a good bit of time just messing around with ideas I have had laying around, let me know what you think of it! smile.gif

Beautiful composition. Your use of the big Gong in the beginning, combined with the regular pulse of the second violins and the pentatonic use creates a style very much similar to that of the Last Samurai (Hans Zimmer methinks) ... smile.gif Japanese war music, in other words. I believe this has great potential, if you follow OzRob's advice. Also: build up a memorable melody line. With orchestration, I know that pedalling the same lead over descending chords, as you seem to do, as is done in lots of suspensefull trailer music, always sounds nice. But if you add a very distinct melody line that repeats in various contexts (of course, when you get a longer composition), this is what people will remember, and how they will recognise your tune.

Excellent man biggrin.gif Maybe I'm not fit to judge, but I liked it wink.gif

This post has been edited by Alexiaden93: Jul 12 2010, 09:15 AM

--------------------
My YouTube Channel
Lost in all the 2000+ GMC lessons? Check my Lesson Plan

Guitars
Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White body, Maple fretboard, White Pearl pickguard, 21 frets, SSS
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Recording equipment/software
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
Staffy
Jul 12 2010, 09:25 AM
Learning Tone Master
I like this ideas a lot, it really reminds me of a film score. Personally, I would have used the orchestra to play the full chords from the second melody and til' the end rather than just fift's and octaves. The first part where the orchestra plays a rhytmic pattern sounds good though. I also agree to Oz that the sounds lack some realism, but it will do very well as a demo imo. Good work! smile.gif

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 12 2010, 09:48 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
I like the orchestration but think it needs a little work. For an orchestral piece, to me, it sounds too dominated by the mid range and a little life less. I think the first requires some more work on the mix and the latter is probably as Rob says down to the lack of realism in the Edirol.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 12 2010, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the advice guys! It was given to me for free so I'm not complaining about how it sounds, especially compared to what I had laugh.gif

Will work on it and see if I can make some improvements.

+Quote Post
Artemus
Jul 12 2010, 02:57 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
Good stuff man. There are some great ideas to work on and bring out. Perhaps as Staffy suggested, you could fill it out more by expanding the harmonies and adding some colour notes or contrapuntal melodies.
Despite what may be thought, Edirol can be used to create really good sounds. I used it myself before I saved up for EWQLSO.
Here's what I wrote - it's quite a few years old and my orchestration skills are much MUCH better now, but all of the orchestration was done using Edirol.
http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=75900

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jul 12 2010, 03:32 PM
Instructor
I liked the idea a lot,

still EastWest sounds more realistic

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Jul 12 2010, 08:48 PM
Jazz Instructor
This is good musically but with some better samples it would be more real.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 12 2010, 11:48 PM
Well, I am in no position to be spending money on EWQL - Its just not possible for me. So this is what I got, and I think it still sounds great at least. No its not EWQL, But then again my Dean isn't $1000, but it does just fine! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Artemus
Jul 13 2010, 01:31 AM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jul 12 2010, 11:48 PM) *
Well, I am in no position to be spending money on EWQL - Its just not possible for me. So this is what I got, and I think it still sounds great at least. No its not EWQL, But then again my Dean isn't $1000, but it does just fine! tongue.gif

That was exactly the point I was getting at - value for money, Edirol is IMO the best value for money out there and for what you get, you can create some really good convincing sounds. I've heard some amazing compositions done with EWQL, but I've heard many many more worse compositions done with the same program. It comes down to how well you use a program and how effective you are as a composer/orchestrator.

As a general tip to anyone, don't forget to add depth and expression by using volume and velocity envelopes, and play with all the settings such as vibrato amounts etc. It takes lots of time but it's worth the effort.

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
Staffy
Jul 13 2010, 07:27 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jul 13 2010, 12:48 AM) *

Thats what I really meant, most people cant tell the difference anyway - thats why a lot of ensemble musicians are unemplyeed because of such products as EWQL, and other sampling engines as well (dont forget to mention the drummers.....) sad.gif
For a demo edirol works just great, and if the work are sold - rcord it in a top studio and have the buyer to pay, or even better - hire the London Symphony Orchestra. (no sampler gonna beat THAT sound...)

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 13 2010, 01:33 PM
I'm still figuring this stuff out, I just wish there was "make composition be amazing" button.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:07 AM