Building The Perfect Guitar
Cosmin Lupu
May 2 2014, 02:39 PM
Instructor
Guys, I found this very nice speech held by the daddy of the beautiful PRS guitars:

Is there any guitar that you see as the perfect embodiment of the electric guitar? If so, which one would that be and why?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 3 2014, 03:08 PM
GMC:er
That's easy (for me) ...

Telecaster wink.gif But you knew that would be 'my' answer. I've never not been able to get done what I've needed done with a Tele.

*That being said, I am kinda jonesing for a 'Paul's Guitar'.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
bleez
May 3 2014, 05:00 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Its a Les Paul for me smile.gif
I like the shape, the weight, the feel and all the controls are in exactly the correct place wink.gif
Ive seen so many of my favourite guitarists playing them that it has become a really iconic guitar in my eyes, I can still remember just how much of a big deal it was when I bought one myself.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 3 2014, 06:28 PM
BIG SHOCKER for me it's an IBANEZ SUPER STRAT!! smile.gif

I know that's a bit shock right? hehehe. Anyhoo, yeah, to each his own!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 4 2014, 08:48 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ May 3 2014, 02:08 PM) *
That's easy (for me) ...

Telecaster wink.gif But you knew that would be 'my' answer. I've never not been able to get done what I've needed done with a Tele.

I love the tele tone as well, Ken! I would definitely love to have one someday smile.gif

Two nights ago, I had a gig with Days of Confusion and 2 other bands at a festival high up in the mountains. As we were taking care of the soundcheck, I went in front of the stage to listen to the guitar tones. Aside the PRS guitars, we had a Gibson Les Paul and a modded Tele (it had a cumbucker in the neck), both downtuned to drop C. The depth in the clean, sparkle and presence were simply outstanding not to mention the drive in the distorted tone. As amps - a Mesa Boogie Road King boosted with a Zakk Wylde OD and a Mesa Boogie Roadster, boosted with a Seymour Duncan boost pedal (Dan, my mate has a red one, but I don't know the exact model)

For the first time in my life, I was able to draw a live comparison between Les Paul, Tele and other guitars - another band came in with Schechter and an Ibanez - no ill intention, but there's no means of comparison. As Todd said, it's a matter of taste here, but the gap was staggering and the amps were not bad amps - they had LaBoga (Darius knows about them well, as they are Polish and very good).

Could it simply be that our sound engineer is a brilliant dude and knows how to pull a great sound? Were those guys unable to dial in a decent tone on their amps (pretty improbable as they are one of the oldest and most respected metal bands here)? I am sure there's a lot of factors, but the differences were stunning.

+Quote Post
SixStringSamurai
May 6 2014, 08:14 PM
Thanks for sharing that vid, Cosmin. Paul Reed Smith is a great speaker with an amazing mind for both the tone and technical side of building a guitar. I was privileged enough to meet him at NAMM and hear a few of his talks like that one and it blew my mind!!

I don't think there is one perfect guitar for me (no surprises there, I'm such a gear whore, haha) but after playing so many guitars over the years I've definitely come to realise what specs suit me the best, and with that knowledge of yourself you can more easily target guitars that you're likely to be well suited to.

....until your playing/music tastes change, that is, heh. Which is why it's best to have LOTS AND LOTS OF GUITARS.

--------------------
http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for the terminally GAS-afflicted.

Thank you to John at GMC for inviting me to hang out and talk gear with you guys!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 6 2014, 11:36 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ May 3 2014, 04:08 PM) *
That's easy (for me) ...

As a bass player, I don't have many electric guitars.
Actually, I only kept one - a Squier Hollowbody jazz guitar which I like very much.

Now - I've been itching lately to get a nice guitar to have for home recording (I sometimes do guitar tracks for my songs on my own) and I don't know why but I'm extremely drawn to a telecaster. I really like the sound of it, the looks and also ability to play those twangy country solos mmm (would love to learn that!). When we were recording our album, we had most of the tracks done on the tele as it just sounded great for the tracks (in comparison to a strat or les paul).

Hope I get a nice Tele for my collection someday smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 7 2014, 09:23 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (SixStringSamurai @ May 6 2014, 07:14 PM) *
Thanks for sharing that vid, Cosmin. Paul Reed Smith is a great speaker with an amazing mind for both the tone and technical side of building a guitar. I was privileged enough to meet him at NAMM and hear a few of his talks like that one and it blew my mind!!

I don't think there is one perfect guitar for me (no surprises there, I'm such a gear whore, haha) but after playing so many guitars over the years I've definitely come to realise what specs suit me the best, and with that knowledge of yourself you can more easily target guitars that you're likely to be well suited to.

....until your playing/music tastes change, that is, heh. Which is why it's best to have LOTS AND LOTS OF GUITARS.

You are right smile.gif If we, as human beings evolve constantly, we eventually reach a moment in which we become conscious of our needs, in terms of pretty much everything. We learn how to understand what we need and how to satisfy those needs.

I for one, feel that at this moment, PRS is the thing for me. I have no clue if and when things will change, but for now, I am happy - I guess that's what matters!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:54 AM