Are You Getting The Most Out Of Your Instrument?
Daniel Robinson
Apr 22 2008, 07:38 AM
Instructor
I wanted to chime in here and talk about something that is important to me as a player and as an instructor. Playing guitar to me is more then just fretting and picking notes. With that being said are you getting the most out of your guitar while playing.

I find when teaching people that one of the biggest mistakes i see people making is no dynamics in their tone or playing. Subtle or drastic variations in pick attack and where your picking the notes (closer to the bridge ..closer to the neck etc.) Can have a huge impact on the emotional content your trying to convey.

I challenge you to experiment with a simple solo lick (any one will do) and try to play it in as many different ways as you can. Change the accents within the phrase. Try it legato, try it staccato, try it all alternate picking etc. Try moving your picking location to different locations at different places try altering the angle of your pick. Experiment with different vibrato styles. There are near infinite possibilties of how a phrase can be played.

Another thing is play with the knobs on your guitar, i know alot of people whose only adjustment is pickup selection switch. But you have those knobs there for a reason experiement with what you can do with those tone knobs. Turn the volume knob up and down and see what different tones you can get out of your guitar.

All of these things will help you find your own style and sound. When it comes to style there is no "Wrong way". As a player i am constantly working on these subtle things. I will play a new phrase i came up with in all different ways trying to get the most out of it. You may feel a certain way when you compose a lick and it comes out the way your feeling but the next time you play it you may not feel that emotion and it has subtle changes. Take notice of how it has changed it can really make a difference in understanding how you alone approach music as a whole.

Another thing you can experiment with his the angle of your fingers on the string and how heavy or how lightly you touch them. For instance if i want to play a passage that has an ethereal quality to it i will use a very light touch with the very tips of my fingers it creates a sound that seems to have no real pulse but takes on a surreal dream like quality.

On the other hand lets say i want to create a sound thats very matter of fact, i will use more of the pads of my fingers have a heavier touch and pick much more aggressively.

All of these things will help you to start to unlock the style that is unique to you. Don't be afraid to experiement with all different techniques to make them your own.

Daniel

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Apr 22 2008, 07:50 AM
Instructor
Excellent post Daniel! All the things you mentioned are very important stuff imo.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
SamJ
Apr 22 2008, 08:02 AM
GMC:er
Cool, thanks for the advice Daniel.

I'll try some of this stuff out. smile.gif

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Apr 22 2008, 08:16 AM
Get to da Chopper!
Nice advice! Although i do experiment with dynamics alot (paul gilbert fan, what can i say rolleyes.gif ) i rarely change pickup selection, when i know i should be- and honeslty playing with the volume and tone knobs has ever seemed that important to me.

I'll take your advice on board smile.gif

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Apr 22 2008, 08:30 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Excellent post, very true!
I know I could be better at trying variations of my riffs, solos as well as play with the knobs on my guitars...

I even got a little inspired by your post, thanks biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
Apr 22 2008, 08:44 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Apr 22 2008, 03:16 AM) *
Nice advice! Although i do experiment with dynamics alot (paul gilbert fan, what can i say rolleyes.gif ) i rarely change pickup selection, when i know i should be- and honeslty playing with the volume and tone knobs has ever seemed that important to me.

I'll take your advice on board smile.gif

Playing with the tone knob is obvious..it can change the tone. I do on occasion mess with it to get a specific tone. I do however use the volume knob quite often. One of the biggest things you can expect with the volume knob adjustments is it tends to remove alot of the "honkyness" out of the guitar sound. I play with alot of gain for the most part but alot of times i want to have alot of gain but not as much harshness so i will back the volume knob down about halfway. It allows me to maintain the "base" tone that i want but it takes away that honkyness i was talking about. Try it at different levels and see what it does on your guitar.

I would expect all guitars to be different in what it accomplishes it will also depend one if you have passive or active pickups. If you mess with the volume knob on a guitar with active pickups the variation will be more subtle. Passive pickups will have a much bigger change. It will also be even more drastic on a guitar with single coils vs humbuckers.

If you want an example of what the volume knob can do for your sound just check out Andy Timmons, he often has high gain but turns his guitar volume down about half way. He keeps his sound nice and creamy by doing this but still has that gain punch.

Daniel

This post has been edited by Daniel Robinson: Apr 22 2008, 08:46 AM

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Siggum
Apr 22 2008, 08:52 AM
GMC:er
Great post Daniel, and very usefull for all players( all skill levels) smile.gif

--------------------

It dont mean a thing if it aint got that swing

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 22 2008, 09:34 AM
Instructor
Excellent advices Daniel! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 22 2008, 11:31 AM
GMC Founder
Very interesting and informative post Daniel - thanks! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Apr 22 2008, 11:41 AM
Instructor
Daniel, your posts should be put in a stickied section smile.gif
You got some of the most informative and useful posts

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 22 2008, 02:20 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Great post Daniel ! Some really important stuff there ! Thanks ! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Fran
Apr 22 2008, 03:30 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Good advice Daniel, thanks! wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Jad Diab
Apr 22 2008, 03:33 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Zizi Top)
excellent topic wink.gif

--------------------
I endorse Sp custom pickups

Check out some of my work :
Youtube
GMC lessons
Myspace

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:51 AM