2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Ngd, FX8 Testing 1 2 3
AK Rich
Mar 16 2017, 04:42 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Well I finally got one. I spent a few hours last night getting to know her and so far my first impressions are good. Now I have to force myself to read the manual to really get familiar with the all the options for setting it up and quit playing guitar for a bit. biggrin.gif

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Mar 16 2017, 05:08 PM
Experienced Rock Star
I'm glad to see your patience was finally rewarded!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 16 2017, 06:15 PM
GMC:er
I also remember you wanting one a while ago, very happy finally you own one congrats!

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Mar 17 2017, 04:47 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Rammikin @ Mar 16 2017, 08:08 AM) *
I'm glad to see your patience was finally rewarded!

QUOTE (Mertay @ Mar 16 2017, 09:15 AM) *
I also remember you wanting one a while ago, very happy finally you own one congrats!

Thanks guys! Yeah it has been a long time coming and it is finally here. I didn't have to pour over the manual as much as I had thought I would to start figuring this thing out. It is surprisingly easy to navigate, there are so many ways to configure it for my songlist that the biggest issue that I can see is going to be deciding which way to do it.

Yesterday I went thru all the different types of overdrives and distortions. I found a preset that had a nice reverb, delay, compression and a drive and then started trying all the different drives with that preset. I just quickly sampled all of them (some I sampled longer because they just sounded amazing) without tweaking any one individually, some of them probably could have used a tweak to sound a bit better but for the most part they were all really good, most of them are just fantastic. How many drive pedals do you own that have their own eq with high and low cuts and a frequency adjustment for the mids? All 25 of them! Then I disabled the drive and switched to the dirty channel of my Rockerverb and the results were incredible. Pairing the Rockerverb with the fx8 just sounds amazing all the way around.

Rammikin! When you are right, you are right! This thing is friggin awesome and incredibly versatile. So far it has easily exceeded my expectations. I don't know what I was worried about. The quality of the reverbs and delays are just top notch. Even when you run the reverbs on normal quality they are outstanding and running them in high quality they are just incredible. So thanks a lot for all your input in the different threads where we have talked about the fx8, you are the man! I really appreciate it. cool.gif

The bang for your buck is in short, absolutely worth it, even at the original price.
I don't think one could put together a pedalboard of the quality that this unit offers without going over $1000 and this unit offers hundreds of pedalboard configs. A high end reverb alone would cost probably around half of what the fx8 costs. Some high end reverbs may even cost as much or more is my guess.

Most of the testing I have done were at a bedroom, or in my case, a living room volume but I did push the amp a bit for a short while and it was heavenly! Today I am sending my better half Stacie out to go shopping so I don't have to worry about bugging her all day by playing loud. biggrin.gif This unit is so awesome it has made me forget all about politics! wub.gif biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Mar 17 2017, 04:50 PM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 17 2017, 08:55 PM
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Mar 17 2017, 03:47 PM) *
This unit is so awesome it has made me forget all about politics! wub.gif biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 17 2017, 08:58 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Lovely, congratulations. Nice one smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 17 2017, 09:10 PM
Super congrats indeed! Very cool unit and you got the pedal to go with it which expands it even more. Your entire rig is pretty darn impressive, the orange amp/cab, axe fx, prestige ibby, nice. It's a seriously killer setup. Certainly no lack of bass response on the orange which is why so many folks use orange cabs that use axe fx. The only other way to get that kind of low thump wold be to use full range cab or add one of those active sub cab extensions. But with the orange, you really don't need to. Also the tubes in the head will warm the signal a pinch. So all said and done, NICE!

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Mar 17 2017, 10:34 PM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Mar 17 2017, 03:47 PM) *
Rammikin! When you are right, you are right! This thing is friggin awesome and incredibly versatile. So far it has easily exceeded my expectations. I don't know what I was worried about. The quality of the reverbs and delays are just top notch. Even when you run the reverbs on normal quality they are outstanding and running them in high quality they are just incredible. So thanks a lot for all your input in the different threads where we have talked about the fx8, you are the man! I really appreciate it. cool.gif

Glad I could help. Fractal gets a lot of props for their amp modeling, and deservedly so, but a lot of people don't realize their effects are truly stellar. As you've discovered, the delays and reverbs are exceptional. If you haven't already done so, check out The Abyss preset. The distortion and overdrive effects are by far the best digital emulations ever. The attention to detail that went into the FX8 is remarkable. For example, AFAIK, this is the only multieffects device with true bypass.

Next you'll have to think about getting an AxeFX smile.gif.

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Mar 18 2017, 12:21 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Rammikin @ Mar 17 2017, 01:34 PM) *
Glad I could help. Fractal gets a lot of props for their amp modeling, and deservedly so, but a lot of people don't realize their effects are truly stellar. As you've discovered, the delays and reverbs are exceptional. If you haven't already done so, check out The Abyss preset. The distortion and overdrive effects are by far the best digital emulations ever. The attention to detail that went into the FX8 is remarkable. For example, AFAIK, this is the only multieffects device with true bypass.

Next you'll have to think about getting an AxeFX smile.gif.

That's twice now you have mentioned that maybe I should get an AxeFx laugh.gif Maybe so, we will see. I guess if I were to get one it would be because of the recording options. I have been resigned to thinking that to record from now on I will just have to mic the cab and run that into an interface, (No more recording with headphones) but something occurred to me last night and I looked briefly in the wiki and in the Fractal forums but I didn't run across anything about it.
What about running from the Fx8 setup to run as a stomp box where all the fx are in front of the amp to an interface with my laptop , and then use an amp and cab sim or IR in my DAW to complete the rig?
Would the signal from the Fx8 be too hot, and if so, couldn't I reduce the signal strength in the global I/O settings to make it work or bring the signal down at the interface?
Hopefully this isn't a dumb question. I have run straight from a processor in the past (Line 6 bean) or an amp (Vox VT-120) into my old desktop for recording but that was always using a line out or headphone out type output.
It would be nice to be able to record with headphones so that I could record at pretty much anytime.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 17 2017, 11:58 AM) *
Lovely, congratulations. Nice one smile.gif

Thanks Phil! I hope you aren't regretting your recent upgrade and having another GAS attack!

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 17 2017, 12:10 PM) *
Super congrats indeed! Very cool unit and you got the pedal to go with it which expands it even more. Your entire rig is pretty darn impressive, the orange amp/cab, axe fx, prestige ibby, nice. It's a seriously killer setup. Certainly no lack of bass response on the orange which is why so many folks use orange cabs that use axe fx. The only other way to get that kind of low thump wold be to use full range cab or add one of those active sub cab extensions. But with the orange, you really don't need to. Also the tubes in the head will warm the signal a pinch. So all said and done, NICE!

Thanks Todd! No more playing and recording thru a line 6 bean for me. I feel so liberated! biggrin.gif It sounds sooooo friggin' good when you crank her up. wub.gif Speaking of which, I gotta go and take advantage of an empty house.

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Mar 18 2017, 12:24 AM

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Mar 18 2017, 12:27 AM
Experienced Rock Star
That should be doable, but unless I misunderstand, it's simpler than what you've described. Your usual 4CM setup should work fine. The output going back into your amp's fx loop is line level and suitable for running into a computer where you would then monitor it through an IR loader plugin. In other words, take the cable that normally goes back into your amp's fx loop input and plug that into your computer.

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Mar 18 2017, 03:59 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Rammikin @ Mar 17 2017, 03:27 PM) *
That should be doable, but unless I misunderstand, it's simpler than what you've described. Your usual 4CM setup should work fine. The output going back into your amp's fx loop is line level and suitable for running into a computer where you would then monitor it through an IR loader plugin. In other words, take the cable that normally goes back into your amp's fx loop input and plug that into your computer.

Ah I get it, why didn't I think of that? Thanks man! Yeah for some reason I was thinking that I would need to use the pre-out, so in that case I would need to make sure all the fx were in front of the preamp and I didn't even think of using the post out return to the amp.
Sweet! I still need an interface though, and monitors really. The line level signal was my biggest concern.

Oh yeah, and that Abyss preset is pretty crazy, I played with it today at a significant volume using some swells. I may have scared the neighbors, they didn't complain but mentioned that they had heard me. biggrin.gif I had a really good time with the Tap Dot Delay preset too, very "Cathedral."

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 18 2017, 11:20 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Mar 17 2017, 11:21 PM) *
Thanks Phil! I hope you aren't regretting your recent upgrade and having another GAS attack!

Mate I'd have GAS if I owned Abbey Road laugh.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Mar 18 2017, 03:10 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 18 2017, 02:20 AM) *
Mate I'd have GAS if I owned Abbey Road laugh.gif

laugh.gif

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Mar 19 2017, 01:46 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
So I went into Anchorage today fully loaded and with every inyention of pulling the trigger on a new interface and some monitors. I had a Roland Quad Capture picked out and was looking at some JBL monitors when something called me to the back room where the nice amps and cabs are and there was the Orange 2X12 open back cab with Vintage Celestion 30's that I have recently been thinking of ordering. Yeah, you know what I came home with. I needed a smaller cab for some smaller gigs and I figured the open back may be the better way to go as the sound coming out of it is not as directional and will be easier for everyone to hear on stage.
Now I need to find another way or place to hang my guitars. rolleyes.gif

Attached Image

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Mar 19 2017, 03:54 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 21 2017, 02:37 AM
that 2x12 can keep up with full size 4x12 cabs with no problem. It's a very spiff cab with wads of bottom end and plenty of volume. They make some of the loudest 2x12 cabs I've ever seen. Be a shame to get them scuffed up gigging, are you doing to get cab road cases for them? The wheels make them easier to transport as well.

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Mar 18 2017, 08:46 PM) *
So I went into Anchorage today fully loaded and with every inyention of pulling the trigger on a new interface and some monitors. I had a Roland Quad Capture picked out and was looking at some JBL monitors when something called me to the back room where the nice amps and cabs are and there was the Orange 2X12 open back cab with Vintage Celestion 30's that I have recently been thinking of ordering. Yeah, you know what I came home with. I needed a smaller cab for some smaller gigs and I figured the open back may be the better way to go as the sound coming out of it is not as directional and will be easier for everyone to hear on stage.
Now I need to find another way or place to hang my guitars. rolleyes.gif

Attached Image

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Mar 21 2017, 04:11 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 20 2017, 05:37 PM) *
that 2x12 can keep up with full size 4x12 cabs with no problem. It's a very spiff cab with wads of bottom end and plenty of volume. They make some of the loudest 2x12 cabs I've ever seen. Be a shame to get them scuffed up gigging, are you doing to get cab road cases for them? The wheels make them easier to transport as well.

It seems to add some different dynamics running the 2x12 open back with the 4x12 closed back. The 2x12 open back is brighter and more chimey maybe while the 4x12 is more punchy.
I hadn't considered road cases but I do have a cover for the head, and covers for the cabs on the way. The cover for the head from Orange is pretty nice. A good thick 2 ply canvas material lightly padded between the ply's.

And yes, it is loud as hell! I am glad I didn't get the 100 watt head. As it is now, I can't see ever needing to turn this thing up past halfway at full power. I am sure I will biggrin.gif but yeah, unless I start playing with a power metal band with an animal on an acoustic drum kit, I'll never need to go beyond that, and maybe not even then. With the volume set at 9 o'clock it is already pretty damn loud.

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Mar 21 2017, 04:13 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 23 2017, 03:23 AM
SHOCKINGLY loud is how I'd describe it smile.gif I had the little Jim Root head for testing and we couldn't turn it up all the way as the sound booth couldn't restrain it! It kept bleeding in to the mics outside! You couldn't go in that booth without risking your hearing. That was the baby head. The big boys, 50 and above can peel the paint off the walls at high volume.

The Orange cabs are part of it as they are soooo nice and rigid and dense that they focus all the sound energy forward. The open back is a good add on as it will sing during clean and solo bits but not overwhelm the grunt of the 4x12 during rythm bits so good call there! You can mic both as well as having a room mic and get a truly HUGE sound. If you want to go all out and use stereo room mics, you can get an immense sound indeed by I'd take the pets out doors first as their hearing is very sensitive and perhaps warn the neighbors smile.gif

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Mar 20 2017, 11:11 PM) *
It seems to add some different dynamics running the 2x12 open back with the 4x12 closed back. The 2x12 open back is brighter and more chimey maybe while the 4x12 is more punchy.
I hadn't considered road cases but I do have a cover for the head, and covers for the cabs on the way. The cover for the head from Orange is pretty nice. A good thick 2 ply canvas material lightly padded between the ply's.

And yes, it is loud as hell! I am glad I didn't get the 100 watt head. As it is now, I can't see ever needing to turn this thing up past halfway at full power. I am sure I will biggrin.gif but yeah, unless I start playing with a power metal band with an animal on an acoustic drum kit, I'll never need to go beyond that, and maybe not even then. With the volume set at 9 o'clock it is already pretty damn loud.

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Mar 23 2017, 07:02 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 22 2017, 06:23 PM) *
SHOCKINGLY loud is how I'd describe it smile.gif I had the little Jim Root head for testing and we couldn't turn it up all the way as the sound booth couldn't restrain it! It kept bleeding in to the mics outside! You couldn't go in that booth without risking your hearing. That was the baby head. The big boys, 50 and above can peel the paint off the walls at high volume.

The Orange cabs are part of it as they are soooo nice and rigid and dense that they focus all the sound energy forward. The open back is a good add on as it will sing during clean and solo bits but not overwhelm the grunt of the 4x12 during rythm bits so good call there! You can mic both as well as having a room mic and get a truly HUGE sound. If you want to go all out and use stereo room mics, you can get an immense sound indeed by I'd take the pets out doors first as their hearing is very sensitive and perhaps warn the neighbors smile.gif

Yeah those cabs are well made for sure. I think the wood used in the construction may be a bit thicker than some other brands of cabs out there. My 4x12 with vintage Celestion 30's weighs just over 100lbs. And the open back 2x12 with the same speakers weighs in at just over 50lbs.
One of the guys at the music store has told me that I could get some interesting results by placing a mic at the back of that open back 2x12.
Have you (or anyone ) ever mic'ed a cab in this way, and if so what kind of results did you have?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 24 2017, 02:38 AM
Yeah, the orange cabs are built like tanks which is part of why they sound so loud. They don't allow as much bleed as some cabs and the wood is so thick that it forces all the sound waves forward, in the closed back, making it almost a weapon in terms of sonic focus. It's similar to how some loudspeakers are built for military use that have to travel long distances. The Russian Military even tried concrete as a speaker housing as it lets nothing escape/bleed out. They ran low freq singal through it and found out that if you use low enough frequencies, inauble, about 8hz, that you can make folks throw up involuntarily. It was considered for crowd control smile.gif Just a side note.

Yeah, those orange cabs we a freaking TON. Which is why I was suggesting the Wheels. It wouldn't be that hard to throw one's back out carrying 150 pounds of guitar cabs. smile.gif But that's the price you pay for the BIG TONE!

Todd

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Mar 23 2017, 02:02 PM) *
Yeah those cabs are well made for sure. I think the wood used in the construction may be a bit thicker than some other brands of cabs out there. My 4x12 with vintage Celestion 30's weighs just over 100lbs. And the open back 2x12 with the same speakers weighs in at just over 50lbs.
One of the guys at the music store has told me that I could get some interesting results by placing a mic at the back of that open back 2x12.
Have you (or anyone ) ever mic'ed a cab in this way, and if so what kind of results did you have?

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Mar 25 2017, 05:37 AM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Mar 23 2017, 06:02 PM) *

I do that from time to time. It's an interesting sound, but I find it works best in combination with a mic in front. In any case, congratulations on the cabinet. Looking forward to hearing some stoner rock recordings done with that rig smile.gif.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:43 AM