Were Ps1 Graphics....
Ben Higgins
Oct 28 2011, 11:58 AM
Instructor
... really that bad ??

When I was playing the PS1 in its heyday, years ago, I thought the graphics were so amazing.. but when you look at old clips of games on Youtube it's hard to believe that you were so blown away at the time. My memory of the games makes them look better but reality reveals them in a less flattering light ! laugh.gif

I remember thinking Tekken 2 was the most amazing thing I ever saw !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC5GbcApY54

Of course, as technology gets better, older efforts seem less impressive.. but it's funny how our memories play tricks on us ! smile.gif

Have you had any realisations like this with old games recently ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rhoads
Oct 28 2011, 01:16 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Recently I played a few levels from Warcraft 1 and 2. The best strategy games ever made smile.gif

It is normal that we aren't impressed anymore of the old games graphics because it is much advanced now, but that is also one of the main problems in games today. What I mean is that, in the old days, the technology did not permit great graphics so the game developers focused more on the feeling of the game (which is not achieved only with graphics). Now, (with some notable exceptions of course) the game feel is pretty much left behind.

I was obsessed with video games when I was a teenager and to be honest I regret all lot the time that I wasted with them, but there are a few games which bring back wonderful memories smile.gif. Now I only watch some trailers to see what's new and play some old games once in a while smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Oct 28 2011, 02:02 PM
Tone Seeker
Well I think that jumping from 16 bit games (Snes & Megadrive) to 3D games (N64, Ps & Dreamcast) was the biggest "Wow" experience. After that, (Gamecube & Ps2) graphics didn't affect so much (on me).

And every new game you get to play isn't the graphics any more. It's about the gameplay, multiplayer and playthrough time.

And when I was young I had so much time to play...I played Perfect Dark (N64) like over 100 hours wink.gif

But let's say that ex. Super Mario World graphics are ageless.

QUOTE (rhoads @ Oct 28 2011, 03:16 PM) *
I was obsessed with video games when I was a teenager and to be honest I regret all lot the time that I wasted with them, but there are a few games which bring back wonderful memories smile.gif. Now I only watch some trailers to see what's new and play some old games once in a while smile.gif

Dude don't ever regret of playing games cool.gif

This post has been edited by WeePee: Oct 28 2011, 02:18 PM

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Oct 28 2011, 02:20 PM
Instructor
I used to be blown away by Virtua fighter II, let me go watch it again.

I loved Paul in Tekken, that was my favorite, I know, pretty predictable tongue.gif

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 28 2011, 03:03 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Oct 28 2011, 02:20 PM) *
I used to be blown away by Virtua fighter II, let me go watch it again.

I loved Paul in Tekken, that was my favorite, I know, pretty predictable tongue.gif

Oh yeah.. Paul Pheonix rocked ! King was my favourite smile.gif

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Oct 28 2011, 05:23 PM
GMC:er
Nods honestly they where terrible! When I play games like Crysis, Rage, Deus EX HR and Battle Field 3 on max hd graphics with DirectX 11 and a decent graphics card, it makes consoles (even the XBOX360 and PS3) look like a joke. Coming back to the PS1, the jagged low polygon graphics, running lagger, it is amazing how far the gaming industial has gone in graphics and realism.

However, they still do have some really fun arcade style gameplay which you could keep coming back to! Back then they didn't have to worry so much on the looks and just focused on gameplay. Smaller games such as flash games, mobile games, and consoles should really stick to just the good gameplay. Now the big boy games are bigger than the movies and more complex to make, in a make or break.

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Oct 28 2011, 05:27 PM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:58 AM