> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

161 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > »   
Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Phil66
May 16 2015, 09:09 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Gab,

I've had a go at the first part of that lesson but it is too hard. I will try to get a video tomorrow of me just trying to get the harmonics in the first part of Darius's lesson. I have manage to get a slight ringing harmonic with the 7th fret one but the 9th fret one is dead. In fact I have tried to pick a natural harmonic on the 9th fret on all of my guitars and they just don't happen.

Cheers

Phil

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 17 2015, 06:05 PM
Instructor
Well, these are some important tips:

- Tapped harmonics happen when you tap a fret that is one octave (or two) higher than the note that you are playing with your left hand. This means that if you have your left hand finger on fret 3, you'll have to tap on 15.
- The tapping must be slight but aggressive. You don't press the string, you hit it.
- At first, when you are on a practice stage, it's good to use a tone with high drive, and treble. This will make harmonics easier.
- If your strings are too old, harmonics are weaker.

I'll wait for your video.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 17 2015, 09:18 PM
Hello Gab,

I have got them now, I wasn't using enough gain, I went into Todd's video chat for some extra tips too.

Thank you

This post has been edited by Phil66: May 18 2015, 06:57 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 18 2015, 03:48 PM
Instructor
Perfect! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 18 2015, 08:52 PM
Spent my session on the creativity workshop tonight, I've posted there (no sounds yet).

Hope you don't mind me not focusing on our lessons, I got carried away rolleyes.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 19 2015, 04:16 PM
Instructor
It's great to dedicate time to creative tasks! Our mind needs the same training than our fingers. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 20 2015, 08:42 PM
Ear training answers.

WOW, this was so hard, I couldn't do it by ear alone so I used guitar. I think I will go back to the earlier lessons though and see how I get on using only the ear. I have the answers to check. I'm not sure if ANY of these are correct, I really struggled.

1: Major 3rd
2: Major 6th
3: Octave
4: Unison
5: Unison (This one was the hardest)
6: Octave
7: 4th
8: 5th
9: Major 6th
10: Octave

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 22 2015, 02:59 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, good job! Most of them are ok, there are only 3 wrong, could you please re-check this?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 22 2015, 08:19 PM
Hello Gab,

I posted to the timing workshop on Wednesday. Do you think it would be a good idea to pin the timing and creativity workshops at the top where the ear training workout is? Just make things a little easier for us to find wink.gif

Would it be ok with you if I start on the Hive lesson you gave me? HERE. I seem to have a mental block with the Fu Manchu lesson so if it's ok can I put it on the back burner and have another go at another time please?

I have got section one of the Darius beginner solo under my fingers, kind of. I'll get a video to you very very soon so you can tell me how to improve it.

Latest ear training answers: I got more than 3 different answers though rolleyes.gif I may have found my limit of ear skill unsure.gif

1: Maj 3rd
2: Maj 6th
3: Maj 7th
4: Unison
5: Maj 2nd
7: Maj 3rd
8: Unison
9: Maj 6th

Cheers

P.S Did you read my PM about the creativity? wink.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: May 22 2015, 09:08 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 23 2015, 03:33 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! All great things happening here. smile.gif

It's ok if you start The Hives lesson! Every time you feel blocked, it's time to change something on the routine.

I think that it's a good idea to pin the new workouts, I'll ask admins about it and see if they also agree with us.

About the ear training, there are 3 wrong yet. It seems that you changed some that were ok... please re-check it.

I'll check your PM in a moment.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 23 2015, 07:47 PM
Hello Gab,

Can you check my last timing submission please smile.gif

The reason I changed more than three in the last answers for the ear training is that I didn't look at my previous answers until I had posted my last ones. I thought it would be better to post them as they were hoping that if you can see where I am going wrong it might indicate something to you about my ear skills. I have done the same below. Maybe a certain area of interval will keep cropping up showing you where I need to concentrate.

I'm really really struggling with these two notes at once examples wacko.gif I've put down what they sound like this time. Sometimes I noticed that I put down maybe "unison" then when the next one is played I thought "no, that's unison!". So maybe something is happening slowly, very very slowly unsure.gif

1: Unison
4: 5th
5: Maj 2nd (This one is hard because there is a fluctuation that shows the notes are very close to each other. To me it doesn't sound unison or Maj 2nd but I went for Maj 2nd because unison wouldn't have the fluctuation unsure.gif )
7: Maj 4th

I have noticed something about my ear. I struggle to match pitches when the sound is different. For instance, a digital tone from my tuner is something that I struggle to match with my guitar. Maybe this indicates something to you?

Here is my attempt at section 1 of the Darius solo. The tapped harmonics didn't really happen in this take but I had no more time to have another go. Sorry.

First attempt at Hives style:
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/hives-1

Cheers smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: May 24 2015, 09:12 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 24 2015, 09:52 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, good job with the ear training exercise! There is only one wrong on this one and it's the first one, please re-check it because it's not an unison. It's a good decision to re-do the exercise every time I say there are many wrong ones, since you are training your ear more often. I also recommend you to record your own exercises to keep on practicing this type of intervals even when I publish new assignments.

The beginner solo is evolving ok, but you will have to pay attention to details about rhythm and feeling to get the most from the lesson. Pay attention to accents, and the way Darius plays and reaches each note, vibrato and bend. There is a lot to learn from it. I also recommend you to dedicate some time to analyze the note choices, related to the chords sounding in the backing. There is something interesting to learn from this one.

The Hives first riff is played with a different rhythm on the audio that you shared, please listen carefully to the original lesson to be sure that you are going tight with the backing.

Please take care of these things and keep on the good job! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 24 2015, 10:12 PM
Thanks Gab,

The hives piece is ok on the chords but the timing is tricky for me. The solo is something I think I need to get the whole thing under my fingers before I concentrate on dynamics. I find that the best for me. The ear training is hard for me. I think I would get different answers every time.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 24 2015, 11:01 PM
Instructor
Just keep going! You are showing very notable progress, and that's why you've been at the front page. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 25 2015, 08:48 PM
Thanks Gab,

I think I have the rhythm better here. I didn't learn any more but I repeated the pattern.

Hives 2
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/hives-2

I don't understand what you mean "I also recommend you to dedicate some time to analyze the note choices, related to the chords sounding in the backing. There is something interesting to learn from this one." My theory is pretty much zero unsure.gif

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: May 25 2015, 08:53 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 26 2015, 03:34 PM
Instructor
That sounds much better mate!

I don't understand what you mean "I also recommend you to dedicate some time to analyze the note choices, related to the chords sounding in the backing. There is something interesting to learn from this one." My theory is pretty much zero

Well, this is an easy way to do this. Write down the chords from the backing, and check out what notes are played over each chord. Check what grade of the scale is, and if the note that the player focus more is or not part of the chord. If it's part of the chords, try to find out if it's a root, a third, a fifth or a seventh, if not? try to notice what interval it's starting from the root of the chord (we've been working on intervals at the ear training course!).

Once you get this "numbers", use your ears and take your own conclusions. Which notes sound nicer? Which ones create tension? which ones are longer?

Experiment! Make your own theory about this. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 26 2015, 08:24 PM
Thanks Gab,

Another full attempt. This time it seemed a tiny little bit easier, I didn't look at my last answers.

1: Maj 3rd
4 5th
5: Maj 2nd
6: 8th
7: Maj 4th
10: 8th

Well, this is an easy way to do this. Write down the chords from the backing, and check out what notes are played over each chord. Check what grade of the scale is, and if the note that the player focus more is or not part of the chord. If it's part of the chords, try to find out if it's a root, a third, a fifth or a seventh, if not? try to notice what interval it's starting from the root of the chord (we've been working on intervals at the ear training course!).

Once you get this "numbers", use your ears and take your own conclusions. Which notes sound nicer? Which ones create tension? which ones are longer?

Experiment! Make your own theory about this. smile.gif

This is something I need to do at the weekend when I have a little bit more time I think. Thanks for the info wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 27 2015, 02:20 PM
Instructor
Awesome! It's perfect now!! Great job Phil. This shows that your ear is becoming more precise.

Keep on the good job!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 28 2015, 09:14 PM
Posted in the timing workshop mate smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 29 2015, 02:35 PM
Instructor
Ok! Thanks Phil. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

161 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:23 AM