When Writing...
gitarcitolga
May 1 2012, 07:08 PM
Learning Chord Basher
Okay so when you're writing a solo or a melody on a scale, do you think about time values at all? Or you just make the solo/melody in your mind and try to fit it into your progression with a suitable time value. Right now I'm trying to improvise on a scale but when I play it,I dont know how to fit it or write i down with correct form especially with the correct time values. How do we successfully get this over with the music in our mind vs writing it down. I guess I got a problem with this: I know the time values but when they all get together, I cant write them.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Cheers,
Tolga

-Life is beautiful-
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
May 1 2012, 07:44 PM
Learning Roadie
Does this help?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: May 1 2012, 07:47 PM

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
gitarcitolga
May 1 2012, 10:54 PM
Learning Chord Basher
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ May 1 2012, 06:44 PM) *
Does this help?

these are gold info man thanks a lot. Paul is awesome and I can see that he is down to earth as well. He is a legendary man

--------------------
Cheers,
Tolga

-Life is beautiful-

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 2 2012, 12:55 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I wouldn't even think about it, play it in your head first. Like Steve Vai says, imagine yourself playing it perfectly, flawlessly - Then do it. Just play what feels right, dont concern yourself with such things as time values, those are merely descriptors for after the fact.

+Quote Post
TuckerG
May 2 2012, 08:07 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ May 1 2012, 06:44 PM) *
Does this help?

Man, I'm kind of a noob on guitar right now, but I had no idea Paul Gilbert was that good! Wow, haha biggrin.gif Great videos

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 3 2012, 09:05 AM
Instructor
Paul's videos - especially the last one biggrin.gif with the humming and singing, are very good as an answer to your question. I haven't been working otherwise since 2008 or 2009 I think. I try to sing first and then transpose everything on the guitar smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 3 2012, 12:46 PM
Instructor
I always recommend to think of the many different note values you can use when soloing but I also think it should be done in a way that is natural. You don't necessarily need to know that it's a quarter note etc, just feel the different pace changes smile.gif

I try to explain this concept in my lesson here

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Set-The-Pace/

I agree with The Uncreator smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:58 AM