Stuck For Riffs?, .. no problem, just nick a good one!
Artemus
Apr 11 2009, 01:43 AM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
Hey there folks!
I dug out an album I hadn't listened to for a while; Burning Bridges by Arch Enemy and one of their songs grabbed me because I couldn't help think, "I've heard this riff somewhere. It sounds so familiar.."
I just couldn't think where I'd heard it and was quietly going insane for a few moments until it clicked. "Aha!.." (as in an exclamation of realisation, not the group famed for Take On Me..) "I know where I've heard this before"

Seed Of Hate by Arch Enemy:

Bark At The Moon by Ozzy Osbourne (riff in question is at 1:20):

I am not bashing Arch Enemy - I like them and I like the Amott bros. Furthermore I've done this myself on a few occassions. I really have something in my head, write the riff and then someone will tell me I've ripped off such and such a band. Or even deliberately take someones riff that I enjoy and play around with it a bit to create my own - although I try not to do this too much of course

I've had this de ja vu quite a few times but I can't think of any others at the moment. Post some more songs that have striking similarities

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Artemus: Apr 11 2009, 01:44 AM

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sigma7
Apr 11 2009, 02:02 AM
GMC:er
it is funny how these things work out...it is just psychological and u relate to the emotions it gave u. The mind is capable of remembering such things and it is the same part of the brain that is believed that controls supernatural abilities like telepathy and telekinesis

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Apr 11 2009, 07:33 AM
Sometimes a good riff gets passed around. As long as it's a bit different (which these are), it's all fine to me.

Good ear man. I'm going to have to get into these Arch Enemy characters more, I've never heard much of them and this is a good song.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 11 2009, 09:55 PM
Instructor
It's not unusual to have similar riffs in songs, people are influenced by other people, and sometimes it's just a coincidence I guess.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
sted
Apr 12 2009, 12:04 PM
Learning Rock Star
Copying riffs and stuff can get you into some trouble though!!

This also has some theory lessons in there as well guys!!

+Quote Post
Artemus
Apr 12 2009, 03:00 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
Grrr. Sorry to anyone that likes Coldplay - I can't stand them!
Here's another example I found of them ripping off another song by Kraftwerk:

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
sted
Apr 12 2009, 04:48 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Artemus @ Apr 12 2009, 03:00 PM) *
Grrr. Sorry to anyone that likes Coldplay - I can't stand them!
Here's another example I found of them ripping off another song by Kraftwerk:

OMG! ohmy.gif Thats even more blatant than the first one! How do they get away with it?

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 12 2009, 10:48 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I guess these similarities are bound to happen from time to time...Musician can't listen to all the songs in the world to see if he made an original one...But when this happens with very famous songs that most of us are familiar with (and surly artists that made similar songs) its a questions what happened ? Also when it comes to rhythm guitar (riffs and chord progressions) similarities are bound to happen because we all tend to use proven progressions that sound pleasing to our ears smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
29a
Apr 13 2009, 12:33 AM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Apr 12 2009, 11:48 PM) *
I guess these similarities are bound to happen from time to time...Musician can't listen to all the songs in the world to see if he made an original one...But when this happens with very famous songs that most of us are familiar with (and surly artists that made similar songs) its a questions what happened ? Also when it comes to rhythm guitar (riffs and chord progressions) similarities are bound to happen because we all tend to use proven progressions that sound pleasing to our ears smile.gif
*Signed*

I think as long as it's just riffs or progressions that are being copied, it's ok. I think it's not ok to sample stuff. And if you cover a song then call it a cover and not your own.

I wonder what would happen to blues if blues players sued each other for every lick copied :huh

Jonas

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy." - Phil Zimmermann

+Quote Post
DaniHel
Apr 13 2009, 03:02 AM
Learning Tone Guru
Paul Gilbert at the VIP thing in Portugal said "It´s ok to steal riffs, or rhythms from other bands" lol and then proceded to show and exemple of how to rip off bands xD

--------------------

+Quote Post
sted
Apr 13 2009, 10:17 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (29a @ Apr 13 2009, 12:33 AM) *
*Signed*

I think as long as it's just riffs or progressions that are being copied, it's ok. I think it's not ok to sample stuff. And if you cover a song then call it a cover and not your own.

I wonder what would happen to blues if blues players sued each other for every lick copied :huh

Jonas

Yeah its hard to justify a law suit for the same chord progression, there arent an infinite amount after all! Same with riffs, but these are examples of blatant copying by a massively global band, i think its pretty shoddy to copy the progression, melody, time signature and tempo and call it your own!
Good point about blues though, I mean the elmore james song Dust my Broom can be traced even further back than that version and smokestack lightning (Best known version by Howling Wolf) has been covered by loads of players. Thing with the blues is that it started all modern music and the songs date back to slaves bringing them as work songs on the slave ships and then into the cotton fields of Southern USA, it would be impossible to prove ownership of any blues tune because they all came from this generic origin, strictly speaking modern popular music has its origin in the blues so how can anyone lay claim to any song?!?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:30 AM