Reintroduction
sevenstarsfall
Jun 28 2011, 10:12 PM
GMC:er
Hello everyone (for the 2nd time around). I joined a couple years ago and was off to a good start practicing everyday, but that only lasted a month or two before I stopped playing altogether. Before that I had a guitar in my teen years and only picked it up every now and then, so I really didn't get anywhere. I feel much more commited now than I did when I was younger and although it has only been 3 weeks since I have started, I feel confident that I will stick with it this time. I am currently practicing Todds alternate picking lesson series (just started lesson 2), using warming up with Lian and warming up with Marcus, finger independence 1 with Danilo, and beginners corner with Bear. Besides music, my favorite hobbies are snowboarding and working/racing cars. I am currently going back to school to get a degree in accounting and a minor in economics.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jun 28 2011, 10:58 PM
Learning Roadie
Awesome to have you back! Welcome, and pleased to meet you. I'm sure you will stick with it this time. wink.gif

Brandon

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 29 2011, 08:27 AM
GMC Founder
Great intro - good to see you back Sevenstarsfall!

With the risk of sounding cynical - do you have a plan for what you would do if you should loose motivation again?

I am asking because it's much easier to think of that now when you have good flow. If you prepare yourself for the bad times - they won't be as bad if/when they come!

So in other words - what got you inspired to practice now? How will you be able to recreate that feeling?

Personally I like to think of my goals and guitar heroes - and that can get me back on track again.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 29 2011, 09:11 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Welcome back to guitar! smile.gif
You have some awesome hobbies there.
It is sometimes hard to keep practicing even when days come when you are not in the mood.
I always tend to have a overview/plan and try to play at least 30 minutes every day.
I pick up a nearly reachable goal and work towards it.
I see that you are practicing mostly exercise lessons so far - if you enjoy that type of practice that is awesome as that way you will make progress very fast. I personally like doing metronome/strict exercises practice for technique - they are very rewarding and show results fast.

See you around! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 29 2011, 09:20 AM
Instructor
Welcome to GMC once again! smile.gif

I've found that a great way to stay focused and motivated is to keep yourself connected with community. Here are some activities that can help you achieve you goals:

1. REC program (board where members learn GMC lessons, play them, record themselves with webcams, and put it on youtube. Then instructors comment and give grades. Once you go through a number of lessons, your status in the community rises, and you get yourself a title based on the number of lessons you've done and difficulty level)

2. Collaborations (you will find lots of collabs on GMC, audio and video collabs. The idea behind them is to get members to participate in creating songs or playing over backing tracks created by instructors. Later on, instructors comment on the takes, and put video mixes on youtube, where members are featured and present themselves as hard working GMC community figures)

3. Forum (excellent place to share your problems, knowledge, questions or anything at all with the community! Very addictive, since it's all positive energy! smile.gif )

4. GMC Video Chats (click on the GMC banner, and scroll down to check out calendar. Try to participate some video chats - you can learn a lot, and ask questions to instructors in real time! )

5. GMC Scale Generator (generate the patterns for practice and displaying examples and problems to the community)

6. Search Option (be sure to use this, as forum and lesson archive hide some very interesting things! )

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 29 2011, 09:30 AM
Instructor
Welcome back to GMC ! smile.gif

The other guys have said some great stuff so I'll just ask about your car racing hobby... do tell me more ! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
nikeman64
Jun 29 2011, 04:23 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey man,

Welcome (back) to GMC. Motivation is key for progress I think you should surround yourself with people, music, environments and every other aspect of life that inspires you, makes you feel good and gives you desire and energy to study guitar. Go for reachable goals and don't be too hard on yourself if you have a bad day, but like Bogdan wrote : try to keep a more or less stady pattern in your studying, and above all : be patient. Rome was not build in one day, my friend !!!

Have fun, Nico !!!

--------------------
Experienced Tone Seeker

+Quote Post
sevenstarsfall
Jun 29 2011, 10:22 PM
GMC:er
Thanks for the welcomes and the ideas of how to stay motivated.

And to answer Kristofers question, I plan to keep myself motivated by staying active on here and making myself part of the community instead of just a passerby. If I do lose motivation during tough times I plan to atleast play excersises for 15-30mins each day until (hopefully) I get back into a groove. I also plan to take a guitar course or two while I am completing my other course work to obtain my degree.

Ben, I just drag race my car (00 Trans Am WS6) on occasion and plan to buy a 62-65 Nova to build (after I graduate and have a place to do so).

Is there a good thread on how to create the videos for "REC" program?? I've never made a video and am interested in possibly buying a camera and some recording gear to keep track of my progress as well as get some tips on my technique.

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jun 29 2011, 10:51 PM
Instructor
Great to have you back ! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stephane Lucarel...
Jun 30 2011, 11:02 AM
Instructor
Welcome back man!
smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:41 AM