New Song!, Demons
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 30 2017, 05:32 PM
Learning Rock Star
EDIT5:

Took down the other versions, but still have them on the computer, still think this is better though.

Probably nearing final edition:

-------------------------------------------

Felt a bit productive last night and started working on something for an hour or so, then put another 3-4 hours into it today and this is the result, still raw, not mixed properly and just...a composition:

Quick home-made lyrics video too:

Still need to work on more vocal parts, harmony and melodies smile.gif

Let me know what you think smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Nov 1 2017, 11:27 PM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 31 2017, 03:30 AM
Instructor
My thoughts can be found here: Mentoring program

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 31 2017, 07:17 AM
GMC:er
Very Impressive indeed! It's just great to see you grow like this as a musician and as a song writer. In the end, that's what all of this is about. To get you guys to a place where you can express yourselves musically, through songs. They don't have to have vocals of course, but it sure doesn't hurt if they do smile.gif After all, the vocal is the part of a song that 95 percent of people connect most strongly with. The other 5 percent are guitar players of course smile.gif Not to say we don't connect with the vocal, we do! But as also can connect with just a good melody the way that non musicians connect with a vocal line.

Great also to see you embrace singing! For many guitar players, it's just out of the question. I used to sing a LONG time ago, as you may have noticed in the tracks I shared in another thread you were active in. This was back when my voice was MUCH higher. The voice gets deeper as men age and keeps getting that way over time. As such, it gets harder to hit high notes the older a guy gets. But your lower register will always be with you so it's worth spending time to get your low tones right. Taking a few vocal lessons might not be a bad idea just to learn how to keep from injuring your voice. I had a few way back when and it helped me not wreck my vocal chords. smile.gif

Back to the Song!! The composition is very solid as is the performance on all fronts. Bringing every instrument to life and making them work together isn't an easy thing and you do it quite well here. The production quality is also top notch. FAR above my own production quality when I was first recording songs. The mix is pleasing to the ears, each instrument can be heard, nothing is "too" loud. A trap many guitar folks fall in to is mixing the guitar waaaaay up front. This is an easy way to wreck a mix. Good news is that you avoid that smile.gif

I would suggest (as we have talked about) trying to double the vocal when you can. I think you can pull it off with relative ease. With a bit of practice you could be doing it with very little effort IMHO. It also adds some cool depth/variance to the vocal performance. Also, perhaps a bit of harmony vocal on bits that sorta serve as a chorus section to make them stand out a bit more than the rest. Folks ears are sorta tuned to expect something to change during the most important bits in a tune, e.g. the chorus or whatever is serving as the chorus.

Just some thoughts smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Oct 30 2017, 12:32 PM) *
Felt a bit productive last night and started working on something for an hour or so, then put another 3-4 hours into it today and this is the result, still raw, not mixed properly and just...a composition:

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 31 2017, 07:20 AM
Learning Rock Star
Awesome feedback, Todd! I really appreciate it! Thanks for listening!

Sorry for the short reply, apparently sleep is not for me and one hour of sleep has left me a little tired.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 31 2017, 07:52 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
this is sounding really good, Ben. Even as a raw demo. Really cool song, I look forward to hearing it when you've added the extra vocal parts, its going to be killer.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 31 2017, 08:56 AM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks, Bleez smile.gif I've already done them this morning, just rendering now smile.gif

EDIT: New version up in first post smile.gif

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Oct 31 2017, 09:04 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Oct 31 2017, 02:03 PM
Great work Ben!! I really liked that!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 31 2017, 04:16 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks, Sensible Jones! I really appreciate it smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 31 2017, 09:18 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I really like it Ben, I know it's only a rough cut but the one thing I would look at is the sound of the vocal, it is kind of like an old transistor radio to me. I guess you're already looking at that. Otherwise, I love it, I love the lyrics too.

Thanks for sharing.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Oct 31 2017, 09:56 PM
Learning Roadie
I really love it !!!

good job Ben !

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 31 2017, 10:18 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks, Phil and Fzalfa smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 1 2017, 02:51 AM
DEMO 2 has gone away! I can't see it? I can see the one above it but that one seems to have changed the mix a bit
from the first one. For some reason, the high hat seems to be the loudest thing in the mix when played back at lower
volumes. It's always a good thing imho to test your mix at the lowest possible volume to see what the loudest thing in the mix actually is. At full volume, it's hard to tell. in the vid that is still playable, the high had seems way louder than the initial mix. It may be a bit to loud imho as it can distract from everything else. I'm having trouble hearing the background vocal bits in the vid that is still showing as part 2, or maybe that's the wrong one?

Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Oct 30 2017, 12:32 PM) *
EDIT2: Fixed a few more things:

EDIT: Here's Demo2 with backing vocals, let me know if it's too strange:

-------------------------------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Nov 1 2017, 03:00 AM
Learning Rock Star
Backing vocals are still there in demo3, as for hi hats, not sure why they've gone up. I've not touched drums, but could be some plugin though that has raised from frequencies.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Nov 1 2017, 04:38 AM
Learning Rock Star
Uploaded yet another mix!

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Nov 1 2017, 09:21 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
dude, that new mix is great. Just a really excellent song. Might be some of your finest work!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Nov 1 2017, 02:55 PM
Learning Rock Star
I changed the final vocals for more of a climax!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Nov 1 2017, 08:42 PM
Learning Rock Star
It never ends! Changed some things at the end:

https://soundcloud.com/benjamin-storm-linnebjerg/demons-okay-this-is-final-i-think

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Nov 1 2017, 08:43 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 2 2017, 01:43 AM
High hats may be a pinch aggressive but that a small thing. Overall I'm digging this one the best. Well done!

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Nov 1 2017, 03:42 PM) *

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:01 AM