> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Bjarturn's Guitar Practice, for Gab's Army
BjarturN
May 16 2018, 10:35 PM
GMC:er
Here is my take on Beginner solo again smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by BjarturN: May 16 2018, 10:35 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 17 2018, 04:41 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (BjarturN @ May 16 2018, 06:05 PM) *
Hi! Here is my take on the alternate picking exercise smile.gif

Hi mate! Thanks for the videos!

There is something related to your right hand movement when doing alternate picking that doesn't convince me. I'd like to suggest to try to do a smaller motion, to get used to it, and to try to avoid that "dancing" circular motion that can be seen in this video. Sometimes you don't have an anchor point, mostly when you play the lower strings, and that can be a problem with precision and faster licks.

Please compare your hand with instructors like Darius, Kristofer, Ben and also myself.

The overall doesn't sound bad, but fixing this can be a good thing for the future. There are some unwanted noises here and there but nothing serious. You can also work a bit more on vibrato and bending.

QUOTE (BjarturN @ May 16 2018, 06:35 PM) *
Here is my take on Beginner solo again smile.gif

Nice! This lesson is a bomb. It combines many techniques in the same solo at an average level. I would call it more than "beginner" solo but that's how the instructor called it.

This one shows similar issues than the previous lesson, there are unwanted noises so work on your muting skills (we have a lesson based on it here), the alternate picking thing, your vibrato, and in this one your bending issue is more notorious. I would dedicate some time each day to the first exercise of this video:

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
BjarturN
May 18 2018, 07:49 PM
Great thanks smile.gif. I've been practicing a lot lately, Currently on the alternate picking thirds workout. While keeping in mind about my right hand not being so lively, and keeping the strings muted. I've found that if i don't make a fist, its easier to to mute and keep it still, but it takes some getting used to. I've also been doing the bend exercise a lot.

I find it easier to do the other alternate picking workout now, and it sounds a little better. Still not perfect though.

Also, I've learned Bens Land of legato, i can play that no problem. I get really tired though and have problems playing it all in one go.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 19 2018, 04:04 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! All great news!

I'm glad to know that you can note important improvements in your playing and also that you are very focused and motivated!

I'd like to see a video of you playing all those things in a few days, is it possible?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
BjarturN
Dec 21 2021, 06:23 PM
Sure! Here is a video of me practicing the the "Alternate Picking - Thirds". let me know wht you think smile.gif

When I did the "Alternate picking workout, you said that my hand was too lively. Now i found that I use my litlle finger and ring finger as an anchor point. This, i feel gives me more control. About the unwanted noises, im not sure if it has gotten any better. I know my timing quite bad.

When i do Ben's Land Of Legato my main problem is endurance.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 22 2021, 03:11 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Nice to hear from you! It's been a while! smile.gif

QUOTE (BjarturN @ Dec 21 2021, 02:23 PM) *
Sure! Here is a video of me practicing the the "Alternate Picking - Thirds". let me know wht you think smile.gif

Good! This is a great exercise that you need to keep in your daily practice. You are getting closer but there are still sync issues and missed notes here and there. The problems appear mostly in the second half so this can be related to endurance, and the only solution is more practice (and economize movements even more).

When I did the "Alternate picking workout, you said that my hand was too lively. Now i found that I use my litlle finger and ring finger as an anchor point. This, i feel gives me more control. About the unwanted noises, im not sure if it has gotten any better. I know my timing quite bad.

Well done! This one has improved a lot! I can see that your left hand fingers are closer to the fretboard and that the whole lesson sounds better. There are some sections that can sound cleanner like for example the passage at 00:43, or at 01:02, but this one is very close.

The more you practice the previous lesson and this one, the more precise your picking will be.

When i do Ben's Land Of Legato my main problem is endurance.

Yes, and timing. This lesson seems to be easier than it is. I think that you need to work on smaller blocks every day to get used to this pattern. It's important to try to keep your left hand relaxed and avoid doing too much pressure.

I think that you will find usefull my new course: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/lessonser...hnique-Builder/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
BjarturN
Jan 11 2022, 03:22 PM
Hi Gabriel, and thanks for the reply!

Yes, it's been a while haha and i am glad that you are still here. I've decided to start up my guitar practice again, hopefully i can practice consistently this time wink.gif .

I am currently working on your technique builder couse and the "Alternate picking - Thirds".
I have recorded a video of me practicing lesson 2 from your course. Here, my main problem still is endurance even though it has gotten alot better since the "Bens' land of legato" video. I do focus keeping my left hand relaxed, but i'm not sure if do it right.
Let me know what you think.

I also have recorded myself playing the "Beginner solo in D" again, let me know what i need to improve, hopefully my fast alternate picking, and bending has gotten just a little better

As requested (three years ago), here's me practicing the bend exercise smile.gif

This post has been edited by BjarturN: Jan 11 2022, 03:25 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 16 2022, 04:42 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! I hope that you are doing great!

QUOTE (BjarturN @ Jan 11 2022, 11:22 AM) *
Hi Gabriel, and thanks for the reply!

Yes, it's been a while haha and i am glad that you are still here. I've decided to start up my guitar practice again, hopefully i can practice consistently this time wink.gif .

I am currently working on your technique builder couse and the "Alternate picking - Thirds".
I have recorded a video of me practicing lesson 2 from your course. Here, my main problem still is endurance even though it has gotten alot better since the "Bens' land of legato" video. I do focus keeping my left hand relaxed, but i'm not sure if do it right.
Let me know what you think.

This workout is a great choice for you. You need to practice this one every day to train your left hand so it gets more familiar with the shapes, patterns, and also gets endurance.

One thing that I notice is that you tend to also tap the 2nd string when tapping the 3rd one with your fourth finger. You need to fix this issue which is not a big problem for this lesson (because you are muting with your right hand the other strings), but it can be a problem when playing solos or improvising.

Practice using the slower backing track and polish your hand posture, and minimize your movements. Get used to them and then get back to the whole workout backing.

I also have recorded myself playing the "Beginner solo in D" again, let me know what i need to improve, hopefully my fast alternate picking, and bending has gotten just a little better

Cool! Your bends are very good here. You are reaching the right pitch, well done! The alternate picking section is also better. You need to continue practicing this section to polish the sync between both hands (and also check out the technique builder AP lessons!).

The parts that need attention now start at around 00:40. There are timing issues, missed notes, and the tapping section needs to be polished. Work on these sections as isolated exercises but also continue practicing the whole thing.

As requested (three years ago), here's me practicing the bend exercise smile.gif

Based on the previous video (beginner solo), I can say that this one was effective. Your bends have improved a lot mate. There are just a few bends off here (00:21, 00:27, 00:38), but most of them are perfect. You can continue working on your vibrato technique to make it look and sound more consistent. Try to emulate the instructor's technique (You can play over him a few times to do it).

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Jan 16 2022, 04:38 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
BjarturN
Jan 25 2022, 05:40 PM
Hi Gab, and thanks for the tips! I have been practizing wink.gif

Left hand I:
My endurance has gotten ALOT better, i can now play the whole "Left hand I" exercize without endurance being a problem. Think my technique also has alot to do with that i can play the whole thing.

Here's a clip with me playing at 120bpm.

Right hand II:
Still working progress. I can feel that this has helped my guitar playing alot. I struggle little with getting clean notes. But my biggest problem is with timing, between 0:41 - 1:01, I really struggle finding the timing here. Even at low bpm, i struggle getting it right

Here's a clip of me playing at 100bpm.

Overall:
When i practize, i start by doing the warmup in your course, then i play the alternate picking workout once and then the Beginner solo in D once, just to really get warmed up.
Then i my main focus are "Right hand II" and "Alternate picking - Thirds". I also do the bend exercize and "Left hand I" But not as much as the others.

I want to ask if this is a good routine?
Also, what do you want to see next?

Again, thank you.
- Bjartur

I know its pretty bad. But this is the first time that i have ever managed to play The Altarnate picking - Thirds all the way through. Had me quite exited as you probably can tell by my wise words at the end laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 26 2022, 02:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (BjarturN @ Jan 25 2022, 01:40 PM) *
Hi Gab, and thanks for the tips! I have been practizing wink.gif

Left hand I:
My endurance has gotten ALOT better, i can now play the whole "Left hand I" exercize without endurance being a problem. Think my technique also has alot to do with that i can play the whole thing.

Here's a clip with me playing at 120bpm.

Hi mate! This is awesome. You've improved a lot since the last update. This new video sounds much cleaner and more consistent. The unwanted noises are much less and your fingers look more comfortable. This is the way to go! You need to continue practicing like this so you keep training your hands and polish all the details. And then you can also continue increasing tempo. (and moving forward with the following Left hand lessons).

Great job!

Right hand II:
Still working progress. I can feel that this has helped my guitar playing alot. I struggle little with getting clean notes. But my biggest problem is with timing, between 0:41 - 1:01, I really struggle finding the timing here. Even at low bpm, i struggle getting it right

Here's a clip of me playing at 100bpm.

Great! The only thing that I notice here is that you have some sync issues here and there (besides the timing), and you can also put some focus on dynamics. Accentuating the first of each group of note values can make a sound different. For example, when playing the chromatic section, try accentuating a bit the first of each group of 4, and when playing triplets, try to emphasize the first of each group of 3.

Maybe you can add to this work out two alternatives:

- Practicing the whole thing at a slower tempo.
- Working on shorter sections at faster tempos. You can take 1 position/pattern and repeat it as a loop. Does it make sense?

Overall:
When i practize, i start by doing the warmup in your course, then i play the alternate picking workout once and then the Beginner solo in D once, just to really get warmed up.
Then i my main focus are "Right hand II" and "Alternate picking - Thirds". I also do the bend exercize and "Left hand I" But not as much as the others.

I want to ask if this is a good routine?
Also, what do you want to see next?

Again, thank you.
- Bjartur

Yes, this sounds like a good routine and I can say that the results can be seen in your progress and videos. In addition to the technical work, it would be good to add some improvisational stuff. Learning improvisation/harmony concepts and practicing over backing tracks... what do you think?

I know its pretty bad. But this is the first time that i have ever managed to play The Altarnate picking - Thirds all the way through. Had me quite exited as you probably can tell by my wise words at the end laugh.gif

hahah good choice! keep this one in your daily routine. You'll notice improvements after some weeks of practice. The next goals should be to put your hands in sync and improve the overall sound of this one. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
BjarturN
Jan 28 2022, 01:50 PM
Hi Gab! I'm not really sure how to quote, would really help here haha.

Right hand II:

Yes, it does make sense. I try to practice at a tempo where I can play every note clean,
And loop some shorter sections, to try to push myself?

About the sync issues, is it something that I actively need to work on, or is it something that gets better as a practice the other things ?

Overall:

Great! I will continue like this. I will also try to get further in your Technique builder course, when I feel comfortable? Maybe i can send a progress video, so i know when i can take on the next lesson.

Yes, being better at improvising is something that i really would like, because i feel that it is an area where I'm lacking. At this stage my improvising basically is just playing over pentatonic scales. I feel it gets pretty repetitive.

I am not sure what you mean by harmony concepts.

My music theory knowledge is really limited.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 30 2022, 11:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (BjarturN @ Jan 28 2022, 09:50 AM) *
Hi Gab! I'm not really sure how to quote, would really help here haha.

Hi mate! How are you? I'm going to record a video to explain how to do it.

Right hand II:

Yes, it does make sense. I try to practice at a tempo where I can play every note clean,
And loop some shorter sections, to try to push myself?

Yes, repeating very short loops is the way to go if you want to build speed (Check out the last lesson of the course).

About the sync issues, is it something that I actively need to work on, or is it something that gets better as a practice the other things ?

You need practice at a slow tempo and be sure that your hands are going synchronized, and that your movements are small and effective. It's difficult to improve sync at an uncomfortable tempo. These exercises are usually recommended to work on hand sync so you are practicing the right things.

Overall:

Great! I will continue like this. I will also try to get further in your Technique builder course, when I feel comfortable? Maybe i can send a progress video, so i know when i can take on the next lesson.

Yes, this sounds good. Let's do this.

Yes, being better at improvising is something that i really would like, because i feel that it is an area where I'm lacking. At this stage my improvising basically is just playing over pentatonic scales. I feel it gets pretty repetitive.

I am not sure what you mean by harmony concepts.

My music theory knowledge is really limited.

Ok, you can check out my songwriting course in order to learn a bit about harmony and theory. And I think that Kris's Jam School has many cool lessons to get into improvisation.

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Jan 30 2022, 11:29 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 06:49 PM