18 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Get A Personal Gmc Learning Plan, This will speed up progress and give you structure
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 16 2013, 07:39 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (mad @ Sep 15 2013, 10:04 PM) *
First week is going great! I think having a plan to organize my practice time will
become essential for improving my playing. But we have to fine-tune the plan for the next weeks,
because last week showed I spent about 3h a day - maybe I could even improve a lot faster biggrin.gif

Thank you!

Glad you like it so far Marc, indeed, the plan we created at first was designed for less time/ day, but hey, who says we can't upgrade? Once you draw the conclusions - I invite you to post the video you plan on doing here as well if you'd like - we can see how you are faring and upgrade to a full 3h/ day plan. Do we have a deal, my friend?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
uncguy4321
Sep 17 2013, 06:13 AM
GMC:er
Cosmin, I'd love this. Id actually like to start my own thread with this...where I can answer the questions, you could give a plan, and I can report back to you in the same thread throughout the process. Or should I just stick to this thread? Ill make a vid tomorrow when I get sun light.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 17 2013, 08:07 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (uncguy4321 @ Sep 17 2013, 05:13 AM) *
Cosmin, I'd love this. Id actually like to start my own thread with this...where I can answer the questions, you could give a plan, and I can report back to you in the same thread throughout the process. Or should I just stick to this thread? Ill make a vid tomorrow when I get sun light.

Hey man! Great to have you biggrin.gif You can post your answers here and after that I will build you a thread of your own in which we can work together - how does that sound?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 19 2013, 09:01 AM
Instructor
Hey guys! How's everyone doing? With some of you, I have kept a fluid communication line through private messages, but it would be nice if as many of you would post their conclusions and thoughts on progress after using the schedules smile.gif In this way, we can improve faster and I will be able to help you even better smile.gif

+Quote Post
sblack82
Sep 19 2013, 11:30 PM
cosmin.....

just found this thread and messaged you about a plan. I would be more than happy to go back and forth with you here in the thread as far as progress on a plan and feedback. love the idea and couldn't help but leap at the opportunity for some direction.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 20 2013, 06:50 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (sblack82 @ Sep 19 2013, 10:30 PM) *
cosmin.....

just found this thread and messaged you about a plan. I would be more than happy to go back and forth with you here in the thread as far as progress on a plan and feedback. love the idea and couldn't help but leap at the opportunity for some direction.

Hey Steven! I am reading your message and I will post the schedule I thought up for ya in this thread here smile.gif Stay tuned!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 20 2013, 09:20 AM
Instructor
Hey again Steven, here's what I have in mind regarding a possible schedule for you:

We will focus on two lessons a week, one based on rhythm and one based on lead. The goal is to be able to understand, learn and play them as well as possible, so that at the end of that week, you will know what you have learned and later on, use the concepts in your own musical creations if you wish to wink.gif We can also focus on theory if you wish, but you let me know, ok?

Day 1 - 2 - Rhythm: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Blues-Rhythm-Guitar/

The process should go like this: listen to the lesson and try to get as familiar as possible with the structure and each part. Read the theoretical explanations and ask me anything that sounds strange or difficult to understand. Learn and rehearse each part slowly and then practice it against the metronome. After that, put the parts together as the structure of the lesson dictates and try to play them clean and with good timing, against the slowest backing track available. Theoretically, you have 4 hours for this (2 days/ 2 hrs each)

Day 3 - 4 - Lead: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/blues_...ntasy_in_g-min/

The same process applies in this case as well!

Day 5 - Break - your brain needs a bit of rest to settle things down. Don't neglect this aspect, aye? wink.gif

Day 6 - 7 - Revision and conclusions - rehearse both lessons with the available backing tracks, focusing on reaching the full speed and paying attention to play clean, with good timing and being attentive to the details.

At the end, it would be great if you could write your thoughts about your experience in this thread smile.gif What say you?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
sblack82
Sep 20 2013, 01:17 PM
I like it!! as someone still on the beginner level I can definitely see why you would organize my schedule of practice the way you have. both of those lessons will allow me to not only have a great place to start but more importantly, have a foundation to begin to understand why the music is structured the way that it is......which is something that has evaded me as I didn't know where to start. I will keep a journal for myself to write down what I learn on the musical structure and theory part of it so that I can ask questions without having to worry about forgetting anything and also so that I have a reference to look back to and build from.

as for the playing.....as I get thru each lesson and get to the point where I can play it cleanly with the full speed backing track, I will post videos to be graded so that we also have a video reference of how my playing has progressed. I figure that way if I have any repetitive playing or technical sloppiness that could lead to bad habits, we can correct those issues before they develop into bad habits.

I think this whole concept is rockin' as understanding a little bit of theory in each lesson isn't going to overload the brain (especially if it builds in a logical way over time), AND being able to play it cleanly at full speed with a backing track is both a short term goal and challenge.

only question I have is this.......thus far, aside from jumping from video lesson to video lesson, I have a few videos that are technical exercises that I have gotten into to help accuracy and moving around the fretboard without having to think so much. like some of the alternate picking videos and some right hand exercise videos so that I'm playing something that isn't just straight scales over and over again. should I keep up with those exercises or should we throw those in later? I figured I could go thru 2 or 3 exercises as a warm up for the session of the day that you have prescribed in my schedule above. I can make a separate post with the 3 or 4 video links that I have been doing if you'd like, that way you can tell me if they are going to be complimentary to what you have me doing in my plan.

thanks again form letting me jump on this opportunity!

keep it loud!
-steven

This post has been edited by sblack82: Sep 20 2013, 01:34 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 20 2013, 05:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (sblack82 @ Sep 20 2013, 12:17 PM) *
I like it!! as someone still on the beginner level I can definitely see why you would organize my schedule of practice the way you have. both of those lessons will allow me to not only have a great place to start but more importantly, have a foundation to begin to understand why the music is structured the way that it is......which is something that has evaded me as I didn't know where to start. I will keep a journal for myself to write down what I learn on the musical structure and theory part of it so that I can ask questions without having to worry about forgetting anything and also so that I have a reference to look back to and build from.

as for the playing.....as I get thru each lesson and get to the point where I can play it cleanly with the full speed backing track, I will post videos to be graded so that we also have a video reference of how my playing has progressed. I figure that way if I have any repetitive playing or technical sloppiness that could lead to bad habits, we can correct those issues before they develop into bad habits.

I think this whole concept is rockin' as understanding a little bit of theory in each lesson isn't going to overload the brain (especially if it builds in a logical way over time), AND being able to play it cleanly at full speed with a backing track is both a short term goal and challenge.

only question I have is this.......thus far, aside from jumping from video lesson to video lesson, I have a few videos that are technical exercises that I have gotten into to help accuracy and moving around the fretboard without having to think so much. like some of the alternate picking videos and some right hand exercise videos so that I'm playing something that isn't just straight scales over and over again. should I keep up with those exercises or should we throw those in later? I figured I could go thru 2 or 3 exercises as a warm up for the session of the day that you have prescribed in my schedule above. I can make a separate post with the 3 or 4 video links that I have been doing if you'd like, that way you can tell me if they are going to be complimentary to what you have me doing in my plan.

thanks again form letting me jump on this opportunity!

keep it loud!
-steven

Hey man! So glad you like it! By all means, show me all you've done as vids, it will help me help you smile.gif Post them here, or send me a PM, as you feel comfortable, ok? If you have good results with them, keep them and use them as a warm up smile.gif

+Quote Post
sblack82
Sep 20 2013, 05:57 PM
alright.....first day of practice and all is well. 1st question, and you can either respond or give me a link to read that will explain it. first off, I recognized the basic 12 bar blues structure as soon as I heard the lesson's main video. I can play on that rhythm but have only played with chord shapes as opposed to individual notes (example....E5, A5, B5 type stuff).

I have watched plenty of videos on the site, and the lesson you asked me to do is easy enough to follow, but in this lesson as well as many others I have watched, I see the chord names and then watch the guitarist take the shape and do slides to different spots and sometimes (other videos), do some single note riffing and all it says is the chord name. why is it that when he does some fancy fingering or a slide with the same shape, or a different shape entirely, it is still the same chord that appears on screen? I'm well aware of the fact that there are different ways to make the same chord in various spots on the fretboard but I'm not sure if that's all I'm seeing or why when the guitarist does a single note riff it just shows the chord name. is it just playing something fun from the major blues scale of the key that the piece is composed in to complement the 1,4, 5 progression of the chords, or even a relative minor or pentatonic riff in the same key? and if it is, then why does it just show the chord name?

help me see the light

I hope my questions makes some kind of sense.

keep it loud
-Steven

This post has been edited by sblack82: Sep 20 2013, 08:49 PM

+Quote Post
Nava
Sep 20 2013, 06:16 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I see some real cool lessons here which I never seen before biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Awesume!

--------------------
If it sounds good, it IS good! And if you think its good then there is gonna be someone else in the world that thinks its good:)Wise words from former instructor Marcus Lavendell.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 20 2013, 10:41 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (sblack82 @ Sep 20 2013, 04:57 PM) *
alright.....first day of practice and all is well. 1st question, and you can either respond or give me a link to read that will explain it. first off, I recognized the basic 12 bar blues structure as soon as I heard the lesson's main video. I can play on that rhythm but have only played with chord shapes as opposed to individual notes (example....E5, A5, B5 type stuff).

I have watched plenty of videos on the site, and the lesson you asked me to do is easy enough to follow, but in this lesson as well as many others I have watched, I see the chord names and then watch the guitarist take the shape and do slides to different spots and sometimes (other videos), do some single note riffing and all it says is the chord name. why is it that when he does some fancy fingering or a slide with the same shape, or a different shape entirely, it is still the same chord that appears on screen? I'm well aware of the fact that there are different ways to make the same chord in various spots on the fretboard but I'm not sure if that's all I'm seeing or why when the guitarist does a single note riff it just shows the chord name. is it just playing something fun from the major blues scale of the key that the piece is composed in to complement the 1,4, 5 progression of the chords, or even a relative minor or pentatonic riff in the same key? and if it is, then why does it just show the chord name?

help me see the light

I hope my questions makes some kind of sense.

keep it loud
-Steven

Cheers Steven! Your questions make perfect sense and because of that, I will make a video in which I will talk to you about these things - far easier than typing tongue.gif You'll have it tomorrow posted here in this thread!

Cheers!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
sblack82
Sep 20 2013, 10:54 PM
awesome cosmin!!! thanks so much....surely I'm not the only person who has scratched their head about this.

keep it loud
- steven

This post has been edited by sblack82: Sep 20 2013, 10:54 PM

+Quote Post
sblack82
Sep 21 2013, 01:56 PM
was working on the day 1 and 2 lesson and am having a blast but I have noticed that I need some work (perhaps a technical exercise) in using a pedal like in the 3rd section of my day 1 and 2 video.....hitting the 4th string while going down the neck hitting the double stops took me a bit to work out and get coordinated. I have also noticed a similar weakness when working up the neck in a chromatic scale and having to skip strings (like 4th and 6th) while I move the shape down the neck.

I did get it worked out but it did shine light on a weakness i would like to improve upon.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 21 2013, 09:24 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (sblack82 @ Sep 20 2013, 09:54 PM) *
awesome cosmin!!! thanks so much....surely I'm not the only person who has scratched their head about this.

keep it loud
- steven

Hey mate - I've been battling a nasty headache today and I am burned out. I will get a good sleep hopefully and get back at ya first thing in the morning smile.gif Thank you!

+Quote Post
sblack82
Sep 21 2013, 09:27 PM
no worries mate!! its always better to be sharp....just gives me more practice time

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 22 2013, 09:13 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (sblack82 @ Sep 21 2013, 12:56 PM) *
was working on the day 1 and 2 lesson and am having a blast but I have noticed that I need some work (perhaps a technical exercise) in using a pedal like in the 3rd section of my day 1 and 2 video.....hitting the 4th string while going down the neck hitting the double stops took me a bit to work out and get coordinated. I have also noticed a similar weakness when working up the neck in a chromatic scale and having to skip strings (like 4th and 6th) while I move the shape down the neck.

I did get it worked out but it did shine light on a weakness i would like to improve upon.

Hey mate - here's the video - I hope it clears things up a bit, but as I said, it's a matter of understanding theory and I can help you with things further if you wish:

Regarding the exercise - in order not to shift the focus from the lesson - you can isolate that part and work on it slowly with the metronome. I can also think about some additional exercises, if you wish to develop skills in this area smile.gif What say you?

+Quote Post
sblack82
Sep 22 2013, 01:23 PM
cosmin..

first off, I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better. secondly, thank you for the video. it cleared things up and makes total sense. as for the theory side of things, I would definitely like to learn it BUT I wouldn't want it to make your ideas for.my personalized plan secondary. I want to play and become a more.proficient player technically and have been tentative about diving into theory because if I wasn't any good at applying it to the guitar then what's the point in knowing it?? I will probably start to dive into then theory side more in depth in "the professors guide to theory" section of the forums and start at the beginning of that as it seems pretty organized. ideally, the way I would like to learn it would be to study a concept and then learn to play a piece that applies it so that I understand how it works in a hands on manner (which is my best way to learn).

if you want to recommend something along those lines as an addition and secondary to backup what you already prescribe as my playing develops and the plan evolves, I would definitely be up for that.

as for exercises, I did go back thru and work on the subsection slowly and that may be the only way for me to develop that skill (repition). it is what I have always done in pieces that I wanted to learn.......just do it slowly until it starts to click. it just takes more time for certain things. I wouldn't mind a string skipping exercise though. I only think it would make me stronger, and it wouldn't take the place of working through the primary lessons. it would be something to help me develop more as I get the prescribed lessons to the point that I can play them fluidly and relaxed and want to put an extra half hour into my session just to push myself a little. I also think that being as technically sound as I can with my playing will only aid me in learning new pieces and make my playing more clear

I know we are talking about a lot but I would rather keep it simple and organized and the theory and technical exercises would not be something I would let take the place of my main lessons as I think that trying to do too much at once will only make it where I'm okay at a few things but master of none......and that would be counter productive.

as I have questions on the theory I will definitely run the ideas by you for discussion and as I get my lessons and playing cleaned IP I will post videos for grading and critique. thanks again for all your help in going out of your way for me.

keep it loud
-steven

This post has been edited by sblack82: Sep 22 2013, 02:07 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 23 2013, 08:33 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Nava @ Sep 20 2013, 05:16 PM) *
I see some real cool lessons here which I never seen before biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Awesume!

Hey mate - are you in for a plan as well? Let me know and I can set you up wink.gif

QUOTE (sblack82 @ Sep 22 2013, 12:23 PM) *
cosmin..

first off, I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better. secondly, thank you for the video. it cleared things up and makes total sense. as for the theory side of things, I would definitely like to learn it BUT I wouldn't want it to make your ideas for.my personalized plan secondary. I want to play and become a more.proficient player technically and have been tentative about diving into theory because if I wasn't any good at applying it to the guitar then what's the point in knowing it?? I will probably start to dive into then theory side more in depth in "the professors guide to theory" section of the forums and start at the beginning of that as it seems pretty organized. ideally, the way I would like to learn it would be to study a concept and then learn to play a piece that applies it so that I understand how it works in a hands on manner (which is my best way to learn).

if you want to recommend something along those lines as an addition and secondary to backup what you already prescribe as my playing develops and the plan evolves, I would definitely be up for that.

as for exercises, I did go back thru and work on the subsection slowly and that may be the only way for me to develop that skill (repition). it is what I have always done in pieces that I wanted to learn.......just do it slowly until it starts to click. it just takes more time for certain things. I wouldn't mind a string skipping exercise though. I only think it would make me stronger, and it wouldn't take the place of working through the primary lessons. it would be something to help me develop more as I get the prescribed lessons to the point that I can play them fluidly and relaxed and want to put an extra half hour into my session just to push myself a little. I also think that being as technically sound as I can with my playing will only aid me in learning new pieces and make my playing more clear

I know we are talking about a lot but I would rather keep it simple and organized and the theory and technical exercises would not be something I would let take the place of my main lessons as I think that trying to do too much at once will only make it where I'm okay at a few things but master of none......and that would be counter productive.

as I have questions on the theory I will definitely run the ideas by you for discussion and as I get my lessons and playing cleaned IP I will post videos for grading and critique. thanks again for all your help in going out of your way for me.

keep it loud
-steven

Hey Steven, my friend smile.gif

Regarding The Professor's theory subjects - that's exactly what I had in mind smile.gif Picking up one which seems most interesting to you and after reading through it, I would select a lesson that involves that particular concept.

I say we do it like this: finish the first week schedule and then we can start working as above (lesson and some extra exercises to help you on your way) - deal?

Repetition is always helping, the idea is to practice with mindfulness and not let yourself dragged astray by various sources of distraction (phone, hunger, internet smile.gif) Being technically proficient is ok, but just being technically proficient and not knowing what and why you are doing, is like imitating a language perfectly without having any clue on what you are saying smile.gif So, in my opinion, learning things in the context of applying a theoretical concept is the best way to learn and understand.

The more you show me, the more I am able to help out, so by all means when you feel ready, share your conclusions with me, ok?

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Sep 23 2013, 08:34 AM

+Quote Post
sblack82
Sep 23 2013, 02:46 PM
cosmin.....

yes, we are on the same page for sure. one thing at a time. this week is going pretty well. days 1 and 2 were pretty good and I am going to work later in the week on bringing it up to full speed and post a video. the lessons are easy to follow and I ended up getting about 3 hours each day in, instead of the two I originally planned. my fingers are also beginning to get memory for the riffsand that is definitely making things easier. I am also starting the second video lesson today and have made extra time tonight so that I can really get on it (plus its fun so the time just flies by). I hope to have a video up of both lessons over the next 4 days or so. sooooooo happy you are helping me on my journey!! smile.gifsmile.gif

keep it loud!
-steven

This post has been edited by sblack82: Sep 23 2013, 02:54 PM

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 06:17 PM