New Recording Interface
zeus
Dec 26 2012, 06:07 AM
GMC:er
Hello again friends, it's been too long!

I am looking to buy a new recording interface for my PC to use with Guitar Rig 5. I currently have an M-Audio Moblie Pre, and I cannot seem to get a good sound out of it no matter what settings I try. I'd like to sound like to have the quality of the recordings that the instructors have in their lessons. From my understanding, I can just have a guitar, plugged into the audio interface, and then use Guitar Rig 5 as the preamp right? I can get a pretty good quailty recording from that right?

My budget is $250-$400. I only really need a couple of inputs - one for guitar and one for the mic if I'm using it.

Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Patrik Berg
Dec 26 2012, 12:29 PM
Presonus are pretty good and focus rite are supposed to be really good.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
When your fingers bleed you're getting somewhere

+Quote Post
zeus
Dec 26 2012, 07:48 PM
I will look into that, thanks.

I was also thinking about getting an M-Audio ProFire 610. Would that make a huge difference between that and my MobilePre?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 26 2012, 11:28 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (zeus @ Dec 26 2012, 07:48 PM) *
I will look into that, thanks.

I was also thinking about getting an M-Audio ProFire 610. Would that make a huge difference between that and my MobilePre?

I don't know much about Mobile Pre, but isn't that quite a good external sound card?
It should be perfectly fine for recording with Guitar Rig 5 and you should be able to get some cool sounds out of it.

I'm not sure you are going to hear much of a difference (unless you are shooting for professional studio grade recordings and have excellent monitoring setup) by upgrading a sound card interface.

The thing with Guitar Rig 5 is that - its very hard to tweak and get decent tones from it (as with any modeling software).
It takes a lot of practice until you can dial in THE TONE you like. Have you looked into other software as well like Amplitube?

You should be able to use the sound card your already have (as input/preamp) in your Guitar Pro 5 software.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
fluff191
Dec 27 2012, 03:08 AM

Your interface has nothing to do with the tone you are getting. The tone is all happening in Guitar RIg. Spend some more time with it and start with just a single amp model and get it sounding the best you can before adding any effects on top of it.

FWIW, I use all Presonus stuff in my recording rig and even though other companies have good interfaces, few companies have the experience and support in the driver department that Presonus do.

--------------------
Schecter Guitars | DV Mark Amps | Kemper Profiling Amp | Logic Pro 9

YouTube Channel: Riffs, Beards & Gear

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Dec 27 2012, 11:13 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Dec 26 2012, 10:28 PM) *
I don't know much about Mobile Pre, but isn't that quite a good external sound card?
It should be perfectly fine for recording with Guitar Rig 5 and you should be able to get some cool sounds out of it.

I'm not sure you are going to hear much of a difference (unless you are shooting for professional studio grade recordings and have excellent monitoring setup) by upgrading a sound card interface.

Pretty much this. Until you go above @1000 Euros the quality of DA/AD on tconsumer level cards is pretty similar - what you pay extra for are the number and types of i/o, possibly better preamps and possibly more/better vst, etcs. Where the card does affect the tone is in how it is used so that signal is correctly gainstaged. Far too many people record hot and get a thin, weak and distorted tone.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
zeus
Dec 28 2012, 01:41 AM
Ok thanks for the feedback. I've done some tweaking on Guitar Rig but still havent dialed in a great tone, but i will continue to work on it.

I am having latency issues still though, and I have ASIO4ALL. So would that be an issue with the audio interface or something else?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 28 2012, 02:09 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (zeus @ Dec 28 2012, 01:41 AM) *
Ok thanks for the feedback. I've done some tweaking on Guitar Rig but still havent dialed in a great tone, but i will continue to work on it.

I am having latency issues still though, and I have ASIO4ALL. So would that be an issue with the audio interface or something else?

I think that you should not be using asio4all driver rather install drivers that come with your m-audio sound card that are specifically made for it and will reduce latency to optimum level.
You can download them from here : http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support&tab=driver

Make sure you are connecting your guitar to m-audio mobile pre interface directly and that you have that audio interface selected in Guitar Pro settings for audio device/input. You should see something like ASIO Mobile Pre or similar which will indicate your audio card.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
ConnorGilks
Dec 28 2012, 03:54 AM
I couldn't get a good sound out of that interface when I had one either.

I recommend either one of the cheaper Pre-Sonus interfaces or one of these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/n...omplete-audio-6

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 11 2013, 08:21 AM
Todd here smile.gif I do pretty much all my recording using emulators/sims so I feel your pain! Building good presets can honestly take serious time. It took me forever to build sounds I finally liked. The good news is, you can download these patches and try them yourself smile.gif They are in GUITAR RIG 4 format but are compatible with 5. Just import them and BINGO!!!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=37629

Also, as some others have said, below about 1,000 euro, most of the interfaces are somewhat similar in terms of quality. So spending more on an interface won't get you very far. Sounds like you just need better presets at this point.

Todd

+Quote Post
zeus
Jan 12 2013, 04:12 AM
Cool thanks for the info!

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 11 2013, 01:21 AM) *
Todd here smile.gif I do pretty much all my recording using emulators/sims so I feel your pain! Building good presets can honestly take serious time. It took me forever to build sounds I finally liked. The good news is, you can download these patches and try them yourself smile.gif They are in GUITAR RIG 4 format but are compatible with 5. Just import them and BINGO!!!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=37629

Also, as some others have said, below about 1,000 euro, most of the interfaces are somewhat similar in terms of quality. So spending more on an interface won't get you very far. Sounds like you just need better presets at this point.

Todd

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:30 PM