Riffs And Bpm
Outlaw2112
Mar 28 2009, 07:29 PM
GMC:er
I come up with riffs all the time and i was wondering whats the best way to figure out the bpm you are playing it at?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Wabba
Mar 28 2009, 07:47 PM
Learning Guitar Lord
Well, I open the Metronome, then choose a random bpm and try to play my riff into it. If the metronome's bpm doesn't match the riff's bpm, I change the metronome's bpm until it matches.
Oh by the way, that metronome that I linked may not always work correctly. When I use linux, It's double the speed that it shows (I mean that If it says "45 bpm", It's actually 90).

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 29 2009, 03:07 AM
Instructor
Thats a really good question right there !

It depends what kind of riffs are you writing. Is your rhythmic pulse Quarter, Eight note , 16ths or what ?

Here is a thing...

Lets say I have some riff that has rhythm all 8th notes ok ? In one bar of 4/4 time signature I get 8 8th notes.
Lets say that I figure out my tempo is 100 bpm by using metronome and randomly moving up and down.

Now check this out ! What if over that riff I actually have a 8th note feel everywhere ! Drums, Bass and all the rest.
Now listener will register 8th note pulse as being quarter note pulse !!!

That means that instead of having 8 8th notes at tempo 100 bpm , now we have 16 quarter notes at 200 bpm.

Its all about time feel.

To make things easier for you ... As you practice more and more with metronome, your ear will start to register different tempos and you will lock your favorite tempos "in you" so to say. So every time without metronome you will shift to your favorite tempo. Its pretty easy to figure out tempos actually, but just like with everything it takes time !

Let me give you one final and really cool tip !

60 bpm tempo is actually = 60 beats per minute ! What else is 60 beats per minute ? Well obvious answer would be they way Clock works !
So if you have a riff and play it , try to compare it with clock and notice how it relates to seconds moving. If you have 8th notes and more then 2 happen in ONE SECOND , then your tempo is HIGHER then 60bpm. If less then 2 8th notes happen in one second, your tempo is lower. 60 bpm happens when you play 2 8th notes during one second evenly of course smile.gif

Hope that helps smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 29 2009, 01:40 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Lots of good ideas here...Usually you can feel the tempo by tapping your foot and/or using Tap tempo function on your metronome.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Mar 30 2009, 06:05 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I also use the tap tempo method, very simple and effective.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 30 2009, 08:07 PM
Instructor
Just tap your foot on the floor/metronome man wink.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:46 AM