Yet Another Recording Gear-thread
PanicProne
Jul 7 2008, 06:20 PM
GMC:er
Allright. Here's the deal. I've been saving up for some new gear. I'll be buying a new guitar but that I think I can handle on my own. Where I need help is where it comes to recording gear.

I will be buying a mac with garage band on it (which is probably the program I'll be using). What else should I get?
I want to be able to record rough demos of my own songs/ideas (guitars, bass, and hopefully some vocals too. a nice drum machine on the comp will be allright for drums).

My budget is somwhere between 1000 - 1500 euros.

Now I don't want a lot of stuff I don't need. And yes, I'll be using it as a media (mostly music) computer only.
No games and so on.

Whaddya you smartasses out there reckon? tongue.gif Whcih mac? What gear and so on.
Feel free to comment, criticise me and help me. and oh. I want a laptop computer. Not a truck-sized one.

Thanks.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by PanicProne: Jul 7 2008, 07:29 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PanicProne
Jul 8 2008, 05:35 PM
Weell. this thread really paid off didn't it? tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 8 2008, 05:42 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (PanicProne @ Jul 8 2008, 06:35 PM) *
Weell. this thread really paid off didn't it? tongue.gif

Yeah, it's burning hot! laugh.gif

If you already have a windows laptop, say, that might do the trick for you already. I was also going for a Mac when I noticed that switching sound interfaces did the trick for me. that brought new life to the computer aswell.

So my humble suggestion will be pretty much what I have biggrin.gif

- POD X3 Live, works for recording vocals, guitar and bass. As a sound interface.
- Addictive drums or EZdrummer - a matter of taste but this plug in if any is worth the money. Bring so much life to the music.
- Broomstick bass
- A MIDI keyboard

and with that I think you're pretty much set to rock and record wink.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 8 2008, 05:53 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Yeas I would also suggest such interface as POD , I personally use line 6 toneport ux2 and it works well for every basic recordings needs..Also I think it works both on mac and win platform...You just hook it up through USB fire up the included software (for amps simulations etc) and you are good to go...
When it comes to Mac , its a great platform but you may not need it that much if you have another powerful laptop..

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
PanicProne
Jul 8 2008, 07:33 PM
Okay. thanks for your thoughts so far. But the thing is I haven't got a computer of my own. And I'd really like one for media handling (mainly music) and I've heard mac and garage band is the way to start off.
So any specific suggestions for what mac I should get.

About the POD X3 thing. I don't really feel I need all the sounds and stuff since I get most of my sound from my pedalboard.
Is the line 6 toneport a better option in that case?
(As far as vocals I suppose the SM58 will be allright huh?)

What about sound cards and stuff? I really know nothing about recording so what is the basic stuff you need except the actual instruments?

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Jul 8 2008, 08:19 PM
Singing Instructor
Well if you are using laptop,you will need an external sound card(E mu 1616) I recommend this card heres an some of the good things about here and your case

High-quality laptop audio interface with up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution
E-MU's new 1616 Laptop Digital Audio System brings the same powerful DSP effects, zero-latency monitoring and pristine 24-bit/192kHz A/D and D/A converters of E-MU's best selling PCI digital audio systems to your laptop. The E-MU CardBus card can be used standalone for its DSP power and studio-quality headphone amp/line output, or plugged into the MicroDock for a total of 16 inputs and 16 outputs plus two sets of MIDI I/O.

Here is the link to the whole specifications http://www.midi-store.com/product.php?productid=17899

And for the MAC,I would go for Mac pro laptop.smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 8 2008, 11:18 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
You may be able to get a Mac pro with an MBox 2. The MBox is a good interface for the Mac and will integrate well with Pro Tools. On the Mac many users migrate from Garageband to either ProTools or Logic once they have experience of using a sequencer and DAW.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 9 2008, 12:07 AM
SM58 is fine for vocals..Well toneport does pretty much the same things as pod..And there is always option to bypass all software effects to capture true tone from your pedalboard...I recommend it for its price and versatility and ease of use smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
PanicProne
Jul 9 2008, 08:18 AM
Okay so this is what I've gathered so far:
- I need a laptop (obviously) preferably a macbook or macbook pro.
- One of the following: Toneport/Mbox2/E mu 16 16.
- Mic for vocal recording (allready have an SM58 and it's said to be allright)
- Additional software (EZ Drummer for example)

And that's about it huh? Hopeully it will fit my budget .Was it really that easy or have I got everything wrong?

This post has been edited by PanicProne: Jul 13 2008, 05:53 PM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 9 2008, 08:41 AM
Learning Rock Star
As far as I can tell it should be able to get you started well, yeah! wink.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
PanicProne
Jul 9 2008, 08:49 AM
Cool. One last question though before I start harassing my local dealer for some money off:
At the moment, I dn't need to be able to record more than one instrument/channel/whateverstheappropriattermforit at a time.
But if I in the future say, wanted to do drums. Would be enough just to get another soundcard or would I have too reschedule an awfull lot?

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 9 2008, 05:57 PM
QUOTE (PanicProne @ Jul 9 2008, 09:49 AM) *
Cool. One last question though before I start harassing my local dealer for some money off:
At the moment, I dn't need to be able to record more than one instrument/channel/whateverstheappropriattermforit at a time.
But if I in the future say, wanted to do drums. Would be enough just to get another soundcard or would I have too reschedule an awfull lot?

Well to record drums you will need about 8 channels so interfaces like toneports would not be useful for that (you could maybe buy a mixer and than do a stereo mix of drums and record it then to toneport)...Recording drums is a real hustle and you need really good recording conditions for that (mics , room etc)..So for that will only work a professional sound card like Emu1616 (I don't really know if that model supports expansion to record 8 channels)...

The list you mentioned before will allow you to record good quality demos at home.

--------------------

+Quote Post
PanicProne
Jul 11 2008, 01:02 PM
Allright allright. Thanks fer all the help then guys. First stop tomorrow: music store. I'll try posting something when I got it recored. Or at least, now I'll be able to join a virtual band! biggrin.gif

Well well. Thanks again. And off course, if anybody wants to add something to the thread please do.

+Quote Post
PanicProne
Jul 17 2008, 11:10 PM
Here I am again replying my own post.
Anyone got a suggestion for a good midi-keyboard? I'd like one that's not too expensive (off course) and preferably 4 octaves at least but doesn't take up too much space.
And yeah, in case you guys wanted to know I'll be going for a Line 6 Toneport UX2 and a macbook pro.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 18 2008, 02:14 AM
Instructor
For starters you can use any cheap MIDI keys, that has only 49 keys on it with no controllers.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 12:13 PM