2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Copyright, where do you copyright your music
Outlaw2112
Jan 5 2009, 04:38 AM
GMC:er
Ive got some new original stuff ive been working on that im excited about and wanted some opinions on it...

I wanted to copyright my music, but it seems to cost $59 dollars to copyright it..and takes up to 6 weeks to hear back from them

Where does everyone get their stuff copyrighted and how much do you pay?

also is there any place that does it faster than 6 weeks and $59 dollars is too much if you ask me

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Jan 5 2009, 04:50 AM
Do you really need to copyright it?

I mean how many people are going to listen to this?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Jan 5 2009, 05:06 AM
QUOTE (Tjchep @ Jan 5 2009, 04:50 AM) *
Do you really need to copyright it?

I mean how many people are going to listen to this?

true... but it would suck to have someone take your ideas and make money on them

I found this site its a little cheaper...

http://bandmatesnetwork.com/index.cfm?fuse...FTOKEN=88095660

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Jan 5 2009, 05:18 AM
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Jan 5 2009, 05:06 AM) *
true... but it would suck to have someone take your ideas and make money on them

I found this site its a little cheaper...

http://bandmatesnetwork.com/index.cfm?fuse...FTOKEN=88095660

smile.gif I guess, are you planning on selling these?

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Jan 5 2009, 05:28 AM
no... but it never hurts to be safe

i see other people on here that have their stuff copyrighted

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 5 2009, 09:54 AM
GMC Founder
Good news:

You already own the copyright to your material. If there ever should be a situation where you need to prove you were first, then you can send a letter to yourself with the cd. Do that right away and don't open the letter, the post stamp will make this your piece of evidence.

The old fashioned way of doing it in other words! biggrin.gif

PS I hope you will rock the world with this material.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Martin la guitar...
Jan 5 2009, 10:02 AM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 5 2009, 09:54 AM) *
Good news:

You already own the copyright to your material. If there ever should be a situation where you need to prove you were first, then you can send a letter to yourself with the cd. Do that right away and don't open the letter, the post stamp will make this your piece of evidence.

awesome advice Kris!

+Quote Post
wrk
Jan 5 2009, 10:06 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 5 2009, 09:54 AM) *
Good news:

True, i completely forgot about this .. thanks Kris
Years back we used to do this with my band in strong believe that our material was so "hot" and we need to be careful laugh.gif laugh.gif

It cost nothing and you have at least something in your hands in case someone needs a prove.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 5 2009, 10:07 AM
You can copyright stuff easily. I tabbed out all of my songs as sheet music and put them in a big envelope that I had date stamped at the post office and I keep them with the owner of intellectual property at Loughborough University so if anybody copies my work I have proof of when I wrote the song. I have all the lyrics written on them also so that is copyright. Paying those places is conning you in a way as you don't need to do that. The fact you have recorded a song gives you ownership of that song as long as it isn't copied of course. Copyrights are only needed for big corporations with copyrighting names etc.

This post has been edited by OrganisedConfusion: Jan 5 2009, 10:08 AM

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Rain
Jan 5 2009, 10:58 AM
How does one deal with the issue of music becoming so global that at least someone has some form of "your" music? Remember the Satch incident (it was him right?) who sued Coldplay for the viva la vida song because it was the same chord progression/timing? I mean, I get that one can have the idea "first" and such, but the idea of protecting that first (unless people are using the same lyrics and everything) seems a little shaky...

I guess music is only really protected if it's a "hit"?

Thoughts?

--------------------
Galneryus [SYU / YUUTO-LEDA] - the GazettE - Sonic Syndicate - Versailles - Sadie - Takayoshi Ohmura - Steve Vai - MintJam - Sex Machineguns - Gentaro Satomura - CYCLE - Paul Gilbert - X Japan - Disturbed

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jan 5 2009, 12:49 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Never thought about that really, but I'll have to copyright the songs on my forthcoming album smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 5 2009, 01:24 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
We have a local copyrights agency and its free to protect the songs..When I say protect it means that you label artist credits for it and deposit the song so after when song gets played on radio/tv you get royalties for it! Better to be safe then sorry..

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Fran
Jan 5 2009, 01:37 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Interesting info in this thread. I wonder if the law is the same in every country regarding copyrights though.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
utak3r
Jan 5 2009, 04:26 PM
QUOTE (Fran @ Jan 5 2009, 01:37 PM) *
I wonder if the law is the same in every country regarding copyrights though.

not really.... not so long ago (15 years? maybe more...) here in Poland there was no real copyrights law - and there were so many companies producing MC cassettes - and they were fully legal! Fortunately, it's over now.
I'm pretty sure there still are some countries which are like this....

As for music, graphics and such - properties are yours automatically, the problem that could arise is a proof of that wink.gif So those advices given above are really cool and effective.

--------------------
Machines don't bleed that easily...
utak3r.pl

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Jan 6 2009, 12:03 AM
I wonder if music is posted in these forums since it is dated at the time of posting it would stand up in court...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 6 2009, 12:07 AM
Instructor
I enjoyed reading this thread , lots of useful info in it !

I have a friend in my town who works in organization Bogdan mentioned in Serbia. From time to time I give him my recordings and he copyrights all the things. All you need to do is feel a form where you would describe style of your music and duration. You can go more into it and describe instrumentation, number of bars and whole bunch of other things if you want to as well.

Somebody told me when I was in USA of website that you can use that copyrights your material. You upload things online they give you contract to keep for your personal use if you ever need it. I think it was payed website - I will ask around see what info I can get on it smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Canis
Jan 6 2009, 12:18 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Jan 6 2009, 12:03 AM) *
I wonder if music is posted in these forums since it is dated at the time of posting it would stand up in court...

I'm curious about this as well.. I guess it shouldn't be a problem since the server is stamping the date on the posts?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Jan 6 2009, 02:29 AM
QUOTE (Canis @ Jan 6 2009, 12:18 AM) *
I'm curious about this as well.. I guess it shouldn't be a problem since the server is stamping the date on the posts?

I think you can forge a lot of things with forums and whatnot, so I think mailing it you to yourself and not open the letter is by far the best thing you can do. It's cheap and waterproof.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Jan 6 2009, 02:50 AM
just found out about this place.... free copyrights

http://myfreecopyright.com/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Jan 6 2009, 01:44 PM
this free site seems cool..... and free

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 08:08 PM