Stompbox Chat, Advice Needed!
Hardtail
Aug 23 2007, 07:59 AM
GMC:er
Okay everyone I need some open discussion on a Stompbox choice I need to make. I am looking for a great clean Overdrive pedal. Since I already run my amp in warm saturation I am looking for a pedal to push it just into Blues Crunch for heavier chord voicing and solos.

I purchased a Rick Franklin Modded Boss SD-1 Super Distortion recently and like it a lot. BUT, it is more suited for thicker compressed rock-n-roll distortion and is not transparent enough at low gain.

So I am between these two pedals:

Fulltone Fulldrive 2 "Mosfet"

Keeley Modded Boss BD-2 Blues Driver

I have heard the Keeley BD-2 and it sounds great but the extra boost switch on the Fulldrive 2 makes it almost seem like two pedals in one. The reviews for both are outstanding so I would like to know what you guys think. Anyone get to play both and compare? Let me know your thoughts!!!

Hardtail

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 23 2007, 08:39 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Not quite Hardtail. However I have both a Keeley and a Fulltone OCD. Both are wonderful imo but I find the ocd has a bit more range and colouring/difference in voicing. Another way of saying that though is the Keeley is more subtle but that's with the tone on the Keeley set between 9:30-11:00. Much beyond 12 and it gets a bit mushy for me. The OCD here has more usable range but is less subtle over the usable range (if that makes sense).

Both pedals are transparent, both clean up if you drop the guitar volume and even on full you can play chords that are recognisable and recognise your guitar. Both are dynamic and respond to your playing style and attack. I find it slightly easier to push the OCD in to feedback but the Keeley is perhaps a touch more 'musical'.
What is nice is feeding one into the other.

If either was lost I'd replace without a second thought - both are great. However if I could only have one I'd have both - no wait can't do that sad.gif - ok the Keeley but only just.

I use both btw to feed a tube amp set on clean from a twin humbucker fitted electric. You might find the ocd is voiced a bit bright for a strat - usual caveat, you need to try the pedal in a similar rig to yours. And maybe look a a few others - the Hermida Zen Drive is supposed to be particularly good.

Cheers,
Tony

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 24 2007, 09:11 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Tony,

Does the Keeley modded BD2 have true bypass? Have you noticed any tone suckage with it if it doesn't?

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 24 2007, 11:08 PM
Seems to be true bypass to me Andrew; or at worst as close as you can get, I haven't noticed any problems.
Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 24 2007, 11:52 PM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Aug 24 2007, 06:08 PM) *
Seems to be true bypass to me Andrew; or at worst as close as you can get, I haven't noticed any problems.
Cheers,
Tony

Cool - I'm thinking of getting a Weeping Demon, Keeley BD2 and a 4 know Keeley compressor soon to use with my new tube amp smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 25 2007, 12:06 AM
Sounds good Andrew biggrin.gif - and I'm sure it will sound good biggrin.gif . My comp is the simpler 2 knob one. I like simplicity as it requires much less thought from me. As my wife says I can only manage one thing moderately well at a time, to many knobs and switches and I'd get confused laugh.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 25 2007, 12:27 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Aug 24 2007, 07:06 PM) *
Sounds good Andrew biggrin.gif - and I'm sure it will sound good biggrin.gif . My comp is the simpler 2 knob one. I like simplicity as it requires much less thought from me. As my wife says I can only manage one thing moderately well at a time, to many knobs and switches and I'd get confused laugh.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

laugh.gif I want the 4 knob as I figure you need it to get that really "plinky" attack kind of sound which I have used on occasion.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Aug 27 2007, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the info Tony but the Fulltone OCD is different from the Fulltone Fulldrive 2. I would still like to hear from someone else if they have tried them both side by side...

I am gonna buy the Keeley BD-2 off of ebay since I see one for super cheap but I may still buy a Fulldrive 2 if i can ever find one for a decent price and a/b them :-)

Hardtail

--------------------

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post
Evan
Aug 27 2007, 11:36 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 24 2007, 04:11 PM) *
Tony,

Does the Keeley modded BD2 have true bypass? Have you noticed any tone suckage with it if it doesn't?

In my experience, no Boss pedal with a stock appearance is likely to have true bypass. Boss pedals use transistors both as a switch between dry and wet and as an amplifier to buffer the signal -if the battery runs out, no signal will pass through the pedal. I've seen several instances where someone had drilled a hole in the top of a Boss pedal to install a standard DPDT switch to add true bypass. You could also modify the switching circuitry of the pedal to include a DPDT relay to provide true bypass without losing the stock appearance, but I've never personally heard of anyone actually doing this.

I think that although the Boss pedals don't have true bypass, their system is well regarded by most guitarists and I've seen many un-modded pedals in pro rigs. I personally noticed some slight compression in the high freqs. with some attenuation of the very highest freqs. on these pedals. On guitars with active or very high output pickups I noticed more compression across the whole frequency spectrum -the result of driving the buffering circuit hard. I think the importance of the side-effects of buffering are subjective, but I'll say that to me, they were perceptible, and I'm fairly sure you'll notice the effects as well, I guess you'll just have to decide whether the small difference is important in your setup.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 28 2007, 12:04 AM
QUOTE (Evan @ Aug 27 2007, 06:36 PM) *
In my experience, no Boss pedal with a stock appearance is likely to have true bypass. Boss pedals use transistors both as a switch between dry and wet and as an amplifier to buffer the signal -if the battery runs out, no signal will pass through the pedal. I've seen several instances where someone had drilled a hole in the top of a Boss pedal to install a standard DPDT switch to add true bypass. You could also modify the switching circuitry of the pedal to include a DPDT relay to provide true bypass without losing the stock appearance, but I've never personally heard of anyone actually doing this.

I think that although the Boss pedals don't have true bypass, their system is well regarded by most guitarists and I've seen many un-modded pedals in pro rigs. I personally noticed some slight compression in the high freqs. with some attenuation of the very highest freqs. on these pedals. On guitars with active or very high output pickups I noticed more compression across the whole frequency spectrum -the result of driving the buffering circuit hard. I think the importance of the side-effects of buffering are subjective, but I'll say that to me, they were perceptible, and I'm fairly sure you'll notice the effects as well, I guess you'll just have to decide whether the small difference is important in your setup.

Thanks - I should get the Keeley BD-2 in the next week or two, I'll put up a review smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Nick325
Aug 28 2007, 12:11 AM
whats the difference between the boss bd2 and the keeley bd2.

i had the boss bd2 before and didnt like it but not i think i should get it again.

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Aug 28 2007, 01:22 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 27 2007, 07:04 PM) *
Thanks - I should get the Keeley BD-2 in the next week or two, I'll put up a review smile.gif

Me too... we'll have to race to review it tongue.gif

So nobody out there is using the #1 rated overdrive pedal in the world?!?!? huh.gif
Somebody out there has to have some first hand experience with the Fulldrive 2. I want to hear from you! hehe

Hardtail

This post has been edited by Hardtail: Aug 28 2007, 01:23 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Aug 28 2007, 01:36 AM
QUOTE (Nick325 @ Aug 27 2007, 07:11 PM) *
whats the difference between the boss bd2 and the keeley bd2.
i had the boss bd2 before and didnt like it but not i think i should get it again.

Keeley goes through and switches out a lot of the transistors and resistors and whatever to higher grade stuff. He also adds a "Phat Switch" which boosts the signal. My guess is it increases the bass response but I will better tell you once mine comes in (hopefully this week).

Overall, his mod increase the frequency range of the pedal thus correcting the compression Evan mentioned AND making the non-true bypass of the BOSS pedal even better than it already is. His mod also apparently reduced the "fuzz" factor of the pedal giving you more attack response at higher Gain settings.

Hardtail

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 06:15 PM