Guitar Setup, How do I do it?
Iluha
Dec 11 2007, 10:40 PM
GMC:er
The topic preety much says it all, Iv'e looked it up in google and I got to a good site but it had this huge list of tools which turned me off, so if anyone can simplify it a bit for me, like which tools exactly I should get, and what the hell do I do with them, I'm all ears(or eyes) smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RobM
Dec 11 2007, 11:25 PM
QUOTE (Iluha @ Dec 11 2007, 04:40 PM) *
The topic preety much says it all, Iv'e looked it up in google and I got to a good site but it had this huge list of tools which turned me off, so if anyone can simplify it a bit for me, like which tools exactly I should get, and what the hell do I do with them, I'm all ears(or eyes) smile.gif

You can try here:

http://www.chicagoluthiers.com/From%20old%...e%20Setup1.html

Here:

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/pro1.htm

Or here is you own an Ibanez:

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

Good luck, hope I helped you.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 11 2007, 11:32 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well guitar setup is doing the neck , string action and intonation, pickups raising and lowering...Thats pretty much it! You don't need a lot of tools for that at all..Have you got with your guitar the key (tool) for tightening the neck ? Also one for bridge saddles ?? I got these 2 keys and thats enough for doing the setup..

Intonation of strings is done on bridge by moving saddles left or right (and fingering 0 and 12th fret - they should be the same on tuner exactly same)..
You have to do this every time when you change strings if you want your guitar to be in perfect tune..
For action (distance between strings and fretboard) you adjust the bridge saddles (raise or lower them)...

I'll write more in detail procedure on this tomorrow wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
skennington
Dec 12 2007, 12:55 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
hey mods, how bout a stiky on this subject. If any of you guys care to write an in-depth instruction post on set-up, I think alot of us would benefit from it. Most of it I can handle but the truss-rod I'm a little worried about. I need ( or so I think I need ) a new guitar set-up. It would really be helpful to know the things to look for on a guitar straight out of the box. Not to mention tuning a floating bridge. I know to start with the low E and tune up so the next string brings it back down ect. but any and all info would be greatly appreciated!

-Steve

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 12 2007, 01:11 AM
Moderation Policy Director
If someone writes it up we'll certainly sticky it smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
skennington
Dec 12 2007, 01:15 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Dec 11 2007, 07:11 PM) *
If someone writes it up we'll certainly sticky it smile.gif

Thanks Andrew!

Bogdan, You listening? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Iluha
Dec 12 2007, 10:32 AM
QUOTE (Bogdan @ Dec 12 2007, 12:32 AM) *
Well guitar setup is doing the neck , string action and intonation, pickups raising and lowering...Thats pretty much it! You don't need a lot of tools for that at all..Have you got with your guitar the key (tool) for tightening the neck ? Also one for bridge saddles ?? I got these 2 keys and thats enough for doing the setup..

Intonation of strings is done on bridge by moving saddles left or right (and fingering 0 and 12th fret - they should be the same on tuner exactly same)..
You have to do this every time when you change strings if you want your guitar to be in perfect tune..
For action (distance between strings and fretboard) you adjust the bridge saddles (raise or lower them)...

I'll write more in detail procedure on this tomorrow wink.gif

All I got with my guitar was that key for the floyd rose, which I lost by now lol, and I have no idea what saddles are and I don't even see how I can tight the neck, so if you could elaborate it would be much appriciated smile.gif

QUOTE (RobM @ Dec 12 2007, 12:25 AM) *

Wow man, that link to the Ibanez site looks really helpfull, has alot of topics, gonna dig into it today, thanks wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crazyfret
Dec 12 2007, 10:41 AM
Learning Roadie
The simple stuff I can handle but had to take my guitar to a guitar technician for a refret this week!!

I'm looking forward to getting it back cause he promised it will sound better than ever!!

--------------------
"I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order." Eric Morecambe

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 12 2007, 01:08 PM
Since I'm a bass player I just realized that I won't be very helpful on this topic (I don't know anything about floyd bridges etc) sad.gif

SOOO , I googled one site that has a very good detailed description of how to do it (with pictures) - LINK Just scroll down and click on desired tutorial.. wink.gif cool.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan: Dec 12 2007, 01:09 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Iluha
Dec 12 2007, 01:46 PM
Yeah that's the link I was talking about, it has a list of 10 tools and about half of them I have no idea what they are and where to get them sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 12 2007, 02:03 PM
Well you don't need all of them.This one is maybe the most important (which I use to do stuff on my bass) -
LINK
You can buy them in any hardware store , they are cheap and come in sets (so you will later see what dimension is needed for your guitar..

What exactly do you want to do on your guitar ? String intonation, action ? Neck adjustment?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Iluha
Dec 12 2007, 02:15 PM
I want to learn how to do all of those, maybe even get some cash out of it in the future heheh tongue.gif but that's probably ain't gonna happen.

That's the wrench I got with my guitar but I lost it.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:36 AM