Another Picking Problem
Marek Rojewski
Oct 29 2010, 05:24 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Well, most probably the question was answered already once upon a time, but I don't know for sure, and the problem is quite irritating...

The problem is -- sometimes when I play faster stuff, the pick begins to move between my fingers. By moving I mean that the tip of the pick, which we use to pick the string is moving. At the beginning the tip of the pick is directed to the headstock of the guitar, or perpendicular (is this the right word:/) to the guitar. After playing few fast licks the tip of the pick is directed more to the bridge of the guitar and playing becomes gradually more and more difficult.

Don't know if it is a very strange problem, or a "normal" one. Maybe I am plucking the strings to hard, or something in my hand position is wrong, I don't know:/ Maybe the problem is that I am using a large triangular shaped stone pick?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Oct 29 2010, 05:40 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Marek Rojewski @ Oct 29 2010, 05:24 PM) *
Well, most probably the question was answered already once upon a time, but I don't know for sure, and the problem is quite irritating...

The problem is -- sometimes when I play faster stuff, the pick begins to move between my fingers. By moving I mean that the tip of the pick, which we use to pick the string is moving. At the beginning the tip of the pick is directed to the headstock of the guitar, or perpendicular (is this the right word:/) to the guitar. After playing few fast licks the tip of the pick is directed more to the bridge of the guitar and playing becomes gradually more and more difficult.

Don't know if it is a very strange problem, or a "normal" one. Maybe I am plucking the strings to hard, or something in my hand position is wrong, I don't know:/ Maybe the problem is that I am using a large triangular shaped stone pick?

This is exactly what I am struggling with , except my pick moves the other direction
i have found that as the pick slips my thumb pinches against the side of hand\ index finger and that all the pressure is there instead of at the tips off my fingers
so i have been slowing down to where i can control the pick --this is the problem - i have to slow down so much 60 bpm , yes and these are whole note- and just recently i have found that after about 15 minutes of practice my hand is to tired to hold it correctly
so i am trying to stop then , so as not to strain my fingers , hopefully they will start to get stronger and quicker
hope this helps
This is coming from someone that has played for many years and am trying to re-teach my fingers

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mate Nagy
Oct 29 2010, 06:19 PM
GMC:er
It is a usual problem.
What I can say is to hold the pick harder . . . .smile.gif It sounds simple but I don't really know other solutions.
There are some picks that have surface with more cohesing hold, so they are easier to hold them in the correct position . . .

This post has been edited by Mate Nagy: Oct 29 2010, 06:20 PM

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Oct 29 2010, 07:26 PM
GMC:er
I now curl my index finger around fully (previously I struggled to do this) but it slots the pick in much nicer without any movement what-so-ever with just light pressure of the thumb to clamp it in place. This is optional however, do what's comfortable.

Place the pick using the side of the index finger, not the underneath.

Alway ensure the pick isn't angled at all up or downward (bad habit). Some people angle slightly towards the bridge for better grip, if you do this and play flat picking style make sure it doesn't keep rotating back. Most importantly just use the tip to play.

Alternate and fast picking is best done rotating the pick almost perpendicular up to 90% to the string (thumb faces down or reveresed upward if prefered). This gives a much better attack angle, chung sound, and smoother cutting through the strings. You can play with fingers at slower speeds but lock the fingers and use the wrist when playing fast for much more boost and control. I was always limited to slow/medium speeds until I learnt this! Previously at speed the pick would force against the fingers, now without movement of the fingers and just using the tip of a thick pick which doesn't flex much you should be able to shred for hours on end without it moving around.

It took me a while to relook and retrain the picking hand, focusing on one hand, then the other, then both working together in sych. I had a close look at other guitarist like Paul Gilbert picking style, and join the lessons with Todd here at GMC and picked my own style learning off multiple sources. However, it's well worth it in the long run, I was surprised by all the small changes and muscle memory which makes a huge difference.

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Oct 29 2010, 07:43 PM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:57 AM