Amp Noise
gibsonmatte
Jul 23 2010, 09:49 AM
GMC:er
Hi!

When playing my Peavey 5150 through a Marshall 4x12 all is good in terms of noise when using the "clean" channel. However the amount of noise on the "gain" channel is crazy. We also play quite loud and I notice that if I turn the volume up to approx 3 I can't go close to the amp without getting lots of unwanted noises smile.gif So, is there any way to minimize this? Since it's dead quiet on the clean channel a BOSS NS-2 wouldn't work right since this is used for pedal noises, right? But what about EQ's? Inserting other effects/pedals in the effects loop, will this help?

I have only tried with one guitar, my Gibson LP Customs, but perhaps the mics on this guitar adds some extra noise?

Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Last FM page
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Staffy
Jul 23 2010, 10:05 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (gibsonmatte @ Jul 23 2010, 10:49 AM) *
Hi!

When playing my Peavey 5150 through a Marshall 4x12 all is good in terms of noise when using the "clean" channel. However the amount of noise on the "gain" channel is crazy. We also play quite loud and I notice that if I turn the volume up to approx 3 I can't go close to the amp without getting lots of unwanted noises smile.gif So, is there any way to minimize this? Since it's dead quiet on the clean channel a BOSS NS-2 wouldn't work right since this is used for pedal noises, right? But what about EQ's? Inserting other effects/pedals in the effects loop, will this help?

I have only tried with one guitar, my Gibson LP Customs, but perhaps the mics on this guitar adds some extra noise?

Thanks!

The LP should be one of the quitest guitars around in my opinion. Have You checked for ground problems???
Eg. You can get Yourself grounded by holding a radiator or something that is really grounded. Then You can see if the noise
disappears. Same goes for the guitar & amp......
Otherwise it seems like You need a noise gate.....

//Staffay

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
gibsonmatte
Jul 23 2010, 10:25 AM
QUOTE (Staffy @ Jul 23 2010, 11:05 AM) *
The LP should be one of the quitest guitars around in my opinion. Have You checked for ground problems???
Eg. You can get Yourself grounded by holding a radiator or something that is really grounded. Then You can see if the noise
disappears. Same goes for the guitar & amp......
Otherwise it seems like You need a noise gate.....

//Staffay

Thanks Staffay!

Should the noise gate then go in the effects loop? Do you think the BOSS NS-2 will cut it? ( I know my local dealer here in Malmoe got one in stock smile.gif )

/Matte

--------------------
My Last FM page

+Quote Post
Staffy
Jul 23 2010, 10:51 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (gibsonmatte @ Jul 23 2010, 11:25 AM) *
Thanks Staffay!

Should the noise gate then go in the effects loop? Do you think the BOSS NS-2 will cut it? ( I know my local dealer here in Malmoe got one in stock smile.gif )

/Matte

Hmmm, good question.... Personally I would have used it before the amp, otherwise it can cut effects like delay & reverb (if used).
But a noise-gate is a simple thingy, and I think You can find a cheaper one than BOSS NS-2, which seems to be a little more than just a simple gate... I dont really face this kind of problems - when You're playing live You never stands that close to the amp anyway.
There's also the Gary Moore version - use the neck pick-up as kill-switch. Eg. the volume is 0 at the neck pick-up, and then he just switches on the bridge pickup when he actually plays........

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jul 23 2010, 10:52 AM
Learning Tone Master
What kind of noise are you talking about?
Is the humming of the amp that's annoying you or are you getting a lot of feedback noise from the amp?

If you want to cancel out the buzzing coming from the amp in the lead channel then put your noisegate in the FX-loop.
If you want to reduce feedback noise then put the noisegate in front of the amp (I do it like this)

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
gibsonmatte
Jul 23 2010, 11:13 AM
Thanks for all the tips so far!

The noise I'm trying to describe (I'm a bit lame when it comes to describing stuff like this) is the one I get when using the lead channel on the 5150. The amp is making this "humming" sound when I enable the lead channel. I guess I can also reduce this by either turn down the volume or the amount gain but that's not an option smile.gif
I actually use the Gary Moore approach now and switching between the pickups but sometimes that doesn't do it when I play rhythmical stuff (with extremely short "pauses" between the licks/riffs).

I guess a gate/noise suppressor can help me somewhat. I think I will take a longer lunch break today and run down to the store and get me one of those.
Do I have to worry about the gate being "true bypass" or not?

--------------------
My Last FM page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jul 23 2010, 11:29 AM
Learning Tone Master
The boss one doesn't have a true bypass but the gate will always be on so there is no need to worry about it draining tone when not used... The best pedalsize noisegate is the ISP Decimator but it's also more expensive than the Boss NS-2...

--------------------

Gear:

- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
gibsonmatte
Jul 23 2010, 12:43 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jul 23 2010, 12:29 PM) *
The boss one doesn't have a true bypass but the gate will always be on so there is no need to worry about it draining tone when not used... The best pedalsize noisegate is the ISP Decimator but it's also more expensive than the Boss NS-2...

I bought the BOSS during my lunch break and hopefully this should do the trick. I asked the staff at the store and described my issues and one the guys told me to try the following regarding FX loop or not:
If the amp is "humming", remove the guitar from the input and if it stills "hums" then put the NS-2 in the FX loop. Otherwise try it in the "normal" signal chain. Perhaps not that much of advice but along with all your tips I'm hoping I can get some results tomorrow.

Thanks again!

--------------------
My Last FM page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 23 2010, 12:58 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
If the noise comes from the preamp itself the NS won't do any good in front of the amp. Ideal if you have for example 50 cycle hum and a squeely preamp is to have one NS before the amp and one in the loop.

If I remember right ISP has a rack unit that has two gates built in for this purpose.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jul 23 2010, 01:08 PM
Learning Tone Master
Or the Decimator G-String Pedal (even more expensive). It has two inputs and two outputs so you can put it in front of the amp AND in the loop at the same time...No more noise!

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jul 23 2010, 05:46 PM
Instructor
The guys in Black Dahlia Murder used the Boss pedal in their gig here, in front of the amp ...and just the Mesa's distortion, that's it....killer tone!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
gibsonmatte
Jul 26 2010, 11:13 AM
Update:

Most of the noise disappeared with the NS-2 which is awesome! I got some minor noise left when using the gain channel but I think that's probably due to some crappy cables somewhere in the signal chain. It's more of a "scratching" sound and not like the humming I got when the NS-2 isn't used.

Thanks for all the input and help guys!

/M

--------------------
My Last FM page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jul 26 2010, 11:38 AM
Learning Tone Master
Just don't turn up the gate too much or otherwise it will start to shut down too early, killing your sustain and harmonics!

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 7 2010, 01:11 PM
Instructor
Yeah, NS2 will fix this problem indeed. Try to tweak the settings a bit, and as you said, use the best quality cables. Often people neglect the importance of these.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:56 AM