Sinisa Cekic
Nov 29 2011, 12:28 AM
Instructor
Have you ever wondered:
Are the "Folkers" narrow-minded ?
Are the "Jazzers" really coo l?
What does "Classicists" have in mind ?
What are the "Metalheads" in the soul ?

Very extensive research was conducted in 2008. with the aim of establishing links with the preference of musical genres personality traits. Even 36,000 participants from around the world participated in this study, led by Professor Adrian North, of Heriot-Watt University. It is also the largest study ever conducted on this topic ...

The results obtained are, as expected, and so surprising. In any case, one thing is indisputable - with so many large sample of people interviewed, this study can certainly be regarded as sufficiently reliable and valid. Keep this in mind when reading the results ...

BLUES - fans of this musical genre characterized by the following traits: high self-esteem, creativity, openness, gentleness and relaxation.

JAZZ - people who prefer this music genre are: high self-esteem, creative, open and relaxed.

CLASSICAL MUSIC - they are characterized by: high self-esteem, creativity, introversion (focus on their feelings, closeness) and relaxation

RAP / HIP-HOP - people who like this are high self-esteem and open to other people.

COUNTRY / FOLK - people who love this genre are: a working, open minded, conservative views.

INDIE (independent alternative rock) – low self-esteem, creative, not gentle, they do not like to work.

ROCK / HEAVY METAL - low self-esteem, creative, don't like to work,soft and relaxed.!!! hahah omg

FUNKY / SOUL - high self-esteem, creative, open, gentle, relaxed

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 29 2011, 12:41 AM
GMC:er
ROCK / HEAVY METAL - low self-esteem, creative, don't like to work,soft and relaxed.!!! hahah omg

that's me, yep. laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 29 2011, 01:08 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Anyone else see a bias laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 29 2011, 02:40 AM
Instructor
hahah great research! so metalheads don't like to work... laugh.gif

hahah great research! so metalheads don't like to work... laugh.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Nov 29 2011, 09:35 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hmmm. Metal, Indie, and Classical. I guess my medium level self-esteem is balanced from all this.

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Nov 29 2011, 10:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Nov 29 2011, 01:28 AM) *
COUNTRY / FOLK - people who love this genre are: a working, open minded, conservative views.

open minded, conservative views?

there's a big contradiction there in my opinion,

Also I know very high self steem metal heads, but it's true it's not the norm biggrin.gif

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 30 2011, 02:36 PM
Instructor
I like them all biggrin.gif what does that make me? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Dec 1 2011, 02:50 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 30 2011, 01:36 PM) *
I like them all biggrin.gif what does that make me? tongue.gif

a weird person ph34r.gif

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Dec 1 2011, 02:50 AM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 1 2011, 03:19 AM
Here is a slightly different wording from an american Psych site.

Blues fans have high self-esteem, are creative, outgoing, gentle and at ease
Jazz fans have high self-esteem, are creative, outgoing and at ease
Classical music fans have high self-esteem, are creative, introvert and at ease
Rap fans have high self-esteem and are outgoing
Opera fans have high self-esteem, are creative and gentle
Country and western fans are hardworking and outgoing
Reggae fans have high self-esteem, are creative, not hardworking, outgoing, gentle and at ease
Dance fans are creative and outgoing but not gentle
Indie fans have low self-esteem, are creative, not hard working, and not gentle
Bollywood fans are creative and outgoing
Rock/heavy metal fans have low self-esteem, are creative, not hard-working, not outgoing, gentle, and at ease
Chart pop fans have high self-esteem, are hardworking, outgoing and gentle, but are not creative and not at ease
Soul fans have high self-esteem, are creative, outgoing, gentle, and at ease

Same idea. Basically CLASSiCAL and HEAVY METAL folks are the same but in all but age. Metal Heads are Younger, typically. But as the article pointed out, many Metal Heads dig the classical works of Wagner for the same reason they like metal. It's big, brash and has a bit of drama to it.

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Nov 28 2011, 06:41 PM) *

that's me, yep. laugh.gif

Lazy, creative, relaxed Metal Heads UNITE! smile.gif And stop working! wink.gif

hehehe.

Seriously though, very interesting study. I wonder if there is a Good/Evil variable?

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 1 2011, 03:26 AM

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 1 2011, 02:10 PM
Instructor
Hehe, the results are kind of what I expected to see.

There's basically either one of 2 possible personality types according to this research... any musical taste apart from metal and indie is basically the same, give or take a few words. I don't quite believe that somehow wink.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 1 2011, 02:19 AM) *
Here is a slightly different wording from an american Psych site.

Blues fans have high self-esteem, are creative, outgoing, gentle and at ease
Jazz fans have high self-esteem, are creative, outgoing and at ease
Classical music fans have high self-esteem, are creative, introvert and at ease
Rap fans have high self-esteem and are outgoing
Opera fans have high self-esteem, are creative and gentle
Country and western fans are hardworking and outgoing
Reggae fans have high self-esteem, are creative, not hardworking, outgoing, gentle and at ease
Dance fans are creative and outgoing but not gentle
Indie fans have low self-esteem, are creative, not hard working, and not gentle
Bollywood fans are creative and outgoing
Rock/heavy metal fans have low self-esteem, are creative, not hard-working, not outgoing, gentle, and at ease
Chart pop fans have high self-esteem, are hardworking, outgoing and gentle, but are not creative and not at ease
Soul fans have high self-esteem, are creative, outgoing, gentle, and at ease

Ha ! This stuff is sure amusing though isn't it, whether it's true or not smile.gif I'm sure we could add some possible personality traits on to these ourselves if we have a think about it. Let's see..

Country & Western - are they also small minded, homophobic rednecks with a fear of being different ?
Rap - do they also have a tendency towards misogyny and the acquisition of material wealth ?
Opera - Do they all talk posh and drive Jags ?

I am joking of course, I don't really mean this ! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Dec 1 2011, 03:11 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Dec 1 2011, 01:10 PM) *
Hehe, the results are kind of what I expected to see.

There's basically either one of 2 possible personality types according to this research... any musical taste apart from metal and indie is basically the same, give or take a few words. I don't quite believe that somehow wink.gif

One of my old friends is a social psychologist and he would be scathing of this type of work.

There's a great book by a social historian, Nik Rose, called 'Governing the Soul' that takes apart the whole 'objective' claims of research such as this. Rose looks at the more industrial/work psychoogy and the rise in 'performance measurements' and employment based on the (quasi-)science of 'matching' personality profiles to emplyment etc. Another study (can't remember who by though - think it was David Guest) demonstrated that studies like this are about as accurate as astrological horoscopes for typing people - and in this case at least a horoscope would lead to 12 types as well rather than 2 biggrin.gif

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 1 2011, 04:20 PM
Instructor
That one about rappers which Ben mentioned is notoriously true laugh.gif

I would post some examples but GMC is NOT to be smothered with such stuff biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:42 AM