3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Why Aren't You Playing Guitar...
AK Rich
Nov 8 2018, 07:12 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 7 2018, 12:28 PM) *
All the best with this Rich, I hope all goes well buddy. I've read a lot of good things about immunotherapy treatment.

Stay strong.

Peace.

Phil

QUOTE (Adam M @ Nov 7 2018, 12:36 PM) *
I hope you get well!

QUOTE (klasaine @ Nov 7 2018, 03:25 PM) *
Get well Rich.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 7 2018, 06:46 PM) *
Very sorry to hear about this sad.gif As you know my Mom passed from Cancer and it is still so painful to think of that I can barely talk about it. I will pray for you and all of those around you as I know how hard it is for everyone involved. Take care of yourself. I'm sure I speak for the entire GMC community when I say we look forward to seeing you healthy and playing with your band!!

QUOTE (Mertay @ Nov 8 2018, 07:33 AM) *
My uncle recently had his final medication even though I just observed his experience from a distance, its not easy. Just wanted to say I wish the best for you.

Thanks a lot everyone. I really appreciate it. I remain optimistic that I can beat this and continue to do the things that I love, including playing guitar and making music.
Best of luck to everyone that is battling any kind of setback that is keeping them from playing music or doing anything else that they may love.
Rock on everyone! cool.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Nov 8 2018, 07:15 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 12 2018, 07:46 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Nov 8 2018, 11:47 AM) *
I say absolutely do it. Take a week even! I know you love playing, I know how inspiring and how good your playing is, but that also means you're not gonna lose it by taking a break. smile.gif

I've taken long breaks lately, hardly played to be honest. I miss it, but it left me with a lot of frustration due to the fact that I couldn't concentrate fully and long enough. Playing Minecraft and streaming keeps my attention and focus as one of the only things these days, so I've been spending quite some time on that, hoping at some point I can convert that energy and focus back to guitar playing smile.gif

Fingers crossed for you mate!

After aprox two weeks I do start to notice an improvement in my left hand, so hopefully I will get back on it soon!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 13 2018, 03:35 AM
GMC:er
I'm glad to hear your hand is feeling better! After I went through physical therapy I swore I'd never go through all that again. I feared I"d be unable to play ever again when it started hurting worse each day. I've been a big fan of stretching before and after ever since. I still ice down the underside of my forearm/wrist where I used to get the pain on the left side. I take alleve (something like paracetamol sp) in europe after a long session to reduce swelling.
I hope it clears up soon!!!

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 8 2018, 05:36 AM) *
The pain in my finger is not that bad, but enough to have me concerned. I am not even 100% sure it is playing related (high likelihood though). I feel it more when grip heavy stuff than when I play.. so maybe it related to weight lifting.

I do stretch yes. But maybe I have been in a rush and not warmed up properly when trying to do stretchy legato. That stuff has hurt me before.

And that old collab is a classic for sure - so many veteran GMCers in there!

+Quote Post
creesenator
Dec 28 2018, 02:15 AM
Learning Apprentice Playe
I find I get overwhelmed with so much stuff to practice and what I should be practicing to become a great guitarist. I also never feel like I progress as fast as I would like to.

Both of these create discouragment and make it tough to stay motivated. I set goals and practice really hard for several weeks then I get discouraged and my practice really drops off.

I have a job that allows for several hours of practice throughout the day between meetings so if I could find a way to stay motivated I could easily get several hours a day in(4-5 hours) and I am sure I would see some great progress.

Finally at times i ask myself why am I spending so much time practicing and what is my end goal. My end goal is to be an amazing player and often I believe this is an impossible task so I get discouraged and stop practicing. I then remind myself it is about the journey and start practicing again.

This post has been edited by creesenator: Dec 28 2018, 02:17 AM

+Quote Post
Adam
Dec 28 2018, 04:43 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (creesenator @ Dec 28 2018, 02:15 AM) *
I find I get overwhelmed with so much stuff to practice and what I should be practicing to become a great guitarist. I also never feel like I progress as fast as I would like to.

Both of these create discouragment and make it tough to stay motivated. I set goals and practice really hard for several weeks then I get discouraged and my practice really drops off.

I have a job that allows for several hours of practice throughout the day between meetings so if I could find a way to stay motivated I could easily get several hours a day in(4-5 hours) and I am sure I would see some great progress.

Finally at times i ask myself why am I spending so much time practicing and what is my end goal. My end goal is to be an amazing player and often I believe this is an impossible task so I get discouraged and stop practicing. I then remind myself it is about the journey and start practicing again.

My main advice is to stay headstrong. For years I've been trying to lose weight and getting miserable results (yet positive!) was discouraging. But if you add up small progress, it becomes massive. Also, I faced the biggest obstacle from my closest family who didn't believe I would succeed in music. Today they support me. It means world to me.

The biggest change I went through started in my mind. I stopped saying "If I become a virtuoso..." and started saying "When" or "Once I become It".

Also, make short-term goals as well as long-term ones. Make short-term goals something in your reach within 2 weeks up to a month. Build your musical confidence from it and make sure you enjoy what you do. Take a break if you need to, a day or two to cool down, to avoid burnout which could set you back months, years maybe.

Fun fact: Jason Becker had a small guitar while driving a car to practice while waiting for the green light at crossroads. Now that's an efficient time management wink.gif

TL;DR It all begins in your head.

This post has been edited by Adam M: Dec 28 2018, 04:44 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 28 2018, 09:48 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Great last part,
I'm a lot like creesenator only difference is I currently only get an hour and a half practise time 4 or 5 evenings a week. I too get overwhelmed with how much needs to be done. I've startied a new regime with Gab now though and when I get back from my new year break I'm just going to be completely in his hands letting him guide me 100%.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 30 2018, 06:59 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 28 2018, 10:17 AM
Learning Rock Star
It's a funny old world. I wish I had the energy/motivation/concentration/initiative to practice 1½ hour 4-5 times a week. I easily have that time. I could probably practice 5 hours a day or more, as for me time is not the issue.

While I hate making mental health related struggles an excuse, it definitely is a hindrance and a struggle. And even NOT making it an excuse is a hindrance in itself. It can be difficult to sometimes accept the situation you are in or the circumstances that have brought you there.

Might as well make it clear, as I'm starting to come to terms with wanting to be open about this, despite my mom saying I should not tell anyone. I was diagnosed with schizophrenia about 6 years ago or so, probably suffering with symptoms for a longer time of course. It's not only a struggle with yourself, which is probably the biggest struggle, it's also been a struggle with the world around you in finding understanding, breaking down wrong notions (I'm not dumb, I'm not a wacko mass shooter and I do not have several personalities (schizophrenia is often confused with split personality disorder)) and the system (job center, local authority/municipality). If I wasn't already drained by myself, all these things around me just eat up an already small amount of energy. That's just one side of it of course, but the one relating to music and energy to practice/play the most.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 28 2018, 10:35 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 28 2018, 09:17 AM) *
It's a funny old world. I wish I had the energy/motivation/concentration/initiative to practice 1½ hour 4-5 times a week. I easily have that time. I could probably practice 5 hours a day or more, as for me time is not the issue.

While I hate making mental health related struggles an excuse, it definitely is a hindrance and a struggle. And even NOT making it an excuse is a hindrance in itself. It can be difficult to sometimes accept the situation you are in or the circumstances that have brought you there.

Might as well make it clear, as I'm starting to come to terms with wanting to be open about this, despite my mom saying I should not tell anyone. I was diagnosed with schizophrenia about 6 years ago or so, probably suffering with symptoms for a longer time of course. It's not only a struggle with yourself, which is probably the biggest struggle, it's also been a struggle with the world around you in finding understanding, breaking down wrong notions (I'm not dumb, I'm not a wacko mass shooter and I do not have several personalities (schizophrenia is often confused with split personality disorder)) and the system (job center, local authority/municipality). If I wasn't already drained by myself, all these things around me just eat up an already small amount of energy. That's just one side of it of course, but the one relating to music and energy to practice/play the most.

Well done for sharing Ben, it may remove some of the energy stealing burdon now you've put it out there. Obviously only a very small amount but better than nothing, you will know that we all understand which may help you.
All the best buddy.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 28 2018, 09:26 PM
Let me share something I posted in another thread that applies.

It's hard to learn to enjoy the journey at first, since it's packed with frustration and work. We all want to skip to the end as fast as humanly possible to get to that place where we can play guitar without any apparent effort. Just like the players we see doing it like Vai, Satch, etc. The old saying 'True Skill is Effortless" applies. It's only natural to want that. Also only natural to say " I want to know the best possible plan/route for getting from here to there as efficiently as possible, what is that exact plan please." Of course, as any experienced player can tell you, no such plan exists. Though many folks try to sell you one if you google it. It's a scam. There is no way to escape the long road. That's what makes being a good guitar player, or any instrument really, such a special thing. It can't be bought, inherited, etc. It's got to be earned. Every student is unique in terms of how they learn and how they progress. Finding out how you you learn best is part of that journey. Being able to push forward when it's difficult is a life skill that will serve you for the rest of your days. When it's hard, you know your doing it right. if it's too easy, push harder. As you take the journey you'll learn about yourself and your instrument. The journey never ends. All of the Instructors here, including myself, are still walking the same road. We are just further down the path.

The good news is, once you've earned your skills, they can't be taken away from you. They are yours. You can be proud of them for the rest of your days as you've earned them. One step at a time. One foot in front of the other. Pity those that don't have the heart to take the journey. They will never have anything in this life that is truly theirs.

Todd
QUOTE (creesenator @ Dec 27 2018, 09:15 PM) *

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 28 2018, 11:33 PM
Instructor
I find videos like this very motivating.

Here you can see Kiko Loureiro reacting to his 19 years old video clinic. The most amazing thing of this is that he started playing when he was 16 years old so this shows only 3 years of progress based on very well organised practice. From what he says, it doesn't mean that he played a lot of hours each day, but he was very disciplined with the structure of his practice.

As Todd said, each person is different and what works for some, can not for others. So maybe, we could not be the guy to have a very disciplined and balanced routine. The secret is to find the way to have fun, and enjoy it, while learning, if not, it will become a nightmare and you rarely achieve positive results.

Watch the whole thing, it's very inspiring! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 29 2018, 02:54 AM
Well said!! smile.gif The true key to staying on the path is finding a way to make the journey itself enjoyable. If you cant find a way to make it fun, make it something you look forward to, then you will probably get disinterested at some point and just quit. This happens to countless players. They just get fed up with running scales to a metronome or whatever they are doing and just stop playing. One has to find a way to make it worth coming back to. For me, in the start, I enjoyed learning songs from bands that I liked. I learned them all by ear alone. I would just listen and move my hand around the guitar to find it note that matched. No tablature. Just ear. This was my "ear training" that served me well and allowed me to create solos by listening to a backing. Developing ones "ear" is critical. There are wads of ways to do it. There are endless ways to create your own path so that it's enjoyable. It should not be a chore. If it's a chore. You may just quit. Just stopping practice is the one thing that assures you won't ever get better. You gotta find a way to make your practice something fun. That's not something anyone can teach you. It's something one has to find out through a lot of trial and error. Once you find it. You are on the path :)Todd
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 28 2018, 06:33 PM) *
I find videos like this very motivating.

Here you can see Kiko Loureiro reacting to his 19 years old video clinic. The most amazing thing of this is that he started playing when he was 16 years old so this shows only 3 years of progress based on very well organised practice. From what he says, it doesn't mean that he played a lot of hours each day, but he was very disciplined with the structure of his practice.

As Todd said, each person is different and what works for some, can not for others. So maybe, we could not be the guy to have a very disciplined and balanced routine. The secret is to find the way to have fun, and enjoy it, while learning, if not, it will become a nightmare and you rarely achieve positive results.

Watch the whole thing, it's very inspiring! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Dec 29 2018, 10:05 AM
Experienced Rock Star
I've tried many times over the years to play more guitar and only recently I found out what is at least part of the reason for me to have kinda quit so many times, including from GMC regular activity.

I've been diagnosed with OCPD (Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder). In short, it has made me a lot more rigid and demanding than most people naturally would, even those who claim to be perfectionists. This "disease" is way beyond what normal people think perfectionism really is. I expected so much from my playing, from my activities related to music that it got to so many points that I would naturally just shut down, disappear and not pick up the guitar for a long time.

Luckily, I've always had passion, which is something that's also rare for OCPD people to experience since it's more about achieving rather than enjoying the process.

Since it's something that I've only discovered quite recently because other aspects of my life pushed me to therapy I can't say it won't happen again or that I'm at a point where I can fully manage it.

In an ironic twist, GMC's subscription was tied to my PayPal account and not my bank account so I got a renewed subscription this December without actually wanting it. It did, however, give me the boost that I needed to return to this community and actually pick up my practice again and I've been enjoying it a lot more now.

Hopefully, I can come to say that the reason I wasn't playing guitar as much as I wanted was just that of how much I wanted to be better and how much I was expecting me to do unrealistically.

That and because of my other affairs at Uni of course. smile.gif

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 30 2018, 01:46 AM
I'm a bit ocd myself and I found that repeating tasks, such as running scales, actually helped me to calm my mind and reach a sort of Zen state. For some people the repetition is just torture. Thankfully, for me, it wasn't. I've always found it rather relaxing to engage in tasks that require repetition to the point where my mind can actually let go of what I"m doing and I can just be calm and in the moment. This allow me to get to the spot where I am now which was handy smile.gif Each one of us is built differently. Each of us has to find the path that fits best for us. Where we can leverage our individual gifts/curses toward a positive goal. If your up for it, I'd say try some of my quick licks and maybe even Bootcamp! See if it works for you smile.gif

Todd
QUOTE (Rated Htr @ Dec 29 2018, 05:05 AM) *
I've tried many times over the years to play more guitar and only recently I found out what is at least part of the reason for me to have kinda quit so many times, including from GMC regular activity.

I've been diagnosed with OCPD (Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder). In short, it has made me a lot more rigid and demanding than most people naturally would, even those who claim to be perfectionists. This "disease" is way beyond what normal people think perfectionism really is. I expected so much from my playing, from my activities related to music that it got to so many points that I would naturally just shut down, disappear and not pick up the guitar for a long time.

Luckily, I've always had passion, which is something that's also rare for OCPD people to experience since it's more about achieving rather than enjoying the process.

Since it's something that I've only discovered quite recently because other aspects of my life pushed me to therapy I can't say it won't happen again or that I'm at a point where I can fully manage it.

In an ironic twist, GMC's subscription was tied to my PayPal account and not my bank account so I got a renewed subscription this December without actually wanting it. It did, however, give me the boost that I needed to return to this community and actually pick up my practice again and I've been enjoying it a lot more now.

Hopefully, I can come to say that the reason I wasn't playing guitar as much as I wanted was just that of how much I wanted to be better and how much I was expecting me to do unrealistically.

That and because of my other affairs at Uni of course. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Dec 30 2018, 02:55 AM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 30 2018, 01:46 AM) *
I'm a bit ocd myself and I found that repeating tasks, such as running scales, actually helped me to calm my mind and reach a sort of Zen state. For some people the repetition is just torture. Thankfully, for me, it wasn't. I've always found it rather relaxing to engage in tasks that require repetition to the point where my mind can actually let go of what I"m doing and I can just be calm and in the moment. This allow me to get to the spot where I am now which was handy smile.gif Each one of us is built differently. Each of us has to find the path that fits best for us. Where we can leverage our individual gifts/curses toward a positive goal. If your up for it, I'd say try some of my quick licks and maybe even Bootcamp! See if it works for you smile.gif

Todd

Hey Todd, glad that worked out for you. smile.gif

Just wanted to clarify that OCPD is not the same as OCD. It's a common mistake but the overall idea of going about it is the same for everyone, with OCD, OCPD, something else or nothing at all. Exactly as you said, it's about finding the path that fits us best.

I might take you up on that but as part of my therapy, I need to not put myself into positions where I will demand more from myself so for now, I'm going about it just playing some lessons I like without stating to myself that I need to stick with them or practice them. We'll see in the future. wink.gif

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 31 2018, 02:53 AM
We are here to help smile.gif That's what is so great about the GMC community.
Todd
QUOTE (Rated Htr @ Dec 29 2018, 09:55 PM) *
Hey Todd, glad that worked out for you. smile.gif

Just wanted to clarify that OCPD is not the same as OCD. It's a common mistake but the overall idea of going about it is the same for everyone, with OCD, OCPD, something else or nothing at all. Exactly as you said, it's about finding the path that fits us best.

I might take you up on that but as part of my therapy, I need to not put myself into positions where I will demand more from myself so for now, I'm going about it just playing some lessons I like without stating to myself that I need to stick with them or practice them. We'll see in the future. wink.gif

+Quote Post
fkalich
Dec 31 2018, 07:19 AM
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Nov 7 2018, 01:13 PM) *
Battling Stage 3B Lung Cancer (Adenocarcinoma). It's been a over a year since I started feeling sick and I was finally diagnosed in late July. I haven't played much at all in the last 9 months but have started to pick it back up a bit lately after having completed Chemotherapy And Radiation Therapy and have started to recover from those treatments.
I am now a month and a half into a years worth of Immunotherapy treatment which is fairly new and promising. The plan is to woodshed and rehearse this winter to come back strong next summer so that I can return to my old blues band and also a rock band with a singer and old friend that I used to be bandmates with years ago.
Really looking forward to playing as much as I can next summer and will fight hard to make sure that it happens.

Sorry to hear that. Good news is that they have come a long way in recent years in treatment, hope for the best for you.

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jan 1 2019, 07:14 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (fkalich @ Dec 30 2018, 10:19 PM) *
Sorry to hear that. Good news is that they have come a long way in recent years in treatment, hope for the best for you.

Thank you, fkalich.

+Quote Post
bleez
Jan 1 2019, 09:02 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Nov 7 2018, 06:13 PM) *
Battling Stage 3B Lung Cancer (Adenocarcinoma). It's been a over a year since I started feeling sick and I was finally diagnosed in late July. I haven't played much at all in the last 9 months but have started to pick it back up a bit lately after having completed Chemotherapy And Radiation Therapy and have started to recover from those treatments.
I am now a month and a half into a years worth of Immunotherapy treatment which is fairly new and promising. The plan is to woodshed and rehearse this winter to come back strong next summer so that I can return to my old blues band and also a rock band with a singer and old friend that I used to be bandmates with years ago.
Really looking forward to playing as much as I can next summer and will fight hard to make sure that it happens.

really sorry to hear that, Rich. Best wishes on your recovery, buddy.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jan 3 2019, 07:06 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (bleez @ Jan 1 2019, 12:02 PM) *
really sorry to hear that, Rich. Best wishes on your recovery, buddy.

Thanks, Bleez

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Jan 4 2019, 10:17 PM
Not posted on GMC for a while but still visit regularly. A have always suffered pain for along time in all my body and recently its got alot worse. The pain preventing me from playing guitar the way I would like to mainly stems from my shoulders down my full arms and into both hands . I have constant tension and sharp pains in my arms. My both hands have become constantly swollen and extremely tight feeling. Trying to straighten my hands out a can feel a lot of resistance. My hands seize up and also get sharp and throbbing pains in them.A struggle to sleep at night with how bad the pain gets. Then in the morning getting up for work I struggle to get out of bed because my full body is in pain. I work with tools for my job so this makes everything worse for my hands. Sometimes at work I struggle to open my hands properly.

Being going to the doctors and getting loads of blood tests. Am seriously hoping a can get something sorted in 2019 and enjoy playing guitar without being restricted. Am only 28 and used to exercise regularly and be in good shape .Now after doing a days work a come home and sit on the couch and struggle to get up of the couch and always feel tired.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:08 AM