> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

161 Pages V  « < 101 102 103 104 105 > »   
Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Phil66
Jul 17 2019, 08:19 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks for that Gab,

I've added it to my revision folder. It's a lot more difficult to apply to chords though. Because the shape is tricky to hold, the whole hand itself becomes rigid and set into the chord shape. In order for all notes to ring out, particularly on the index finger, I tend to have to push my whole hand harder because it's hard to isolate different strings underneath the index finger

I know it's just a case of more hours on the neck though, I just tend to give in too easily after half an hour and forearm ache with no noticeable improvement.

Must try harder wink.gif

Cheers buddy.

UPDATE:

I CAN do it. I've just sat here for a while fretting the dominant 7 chords at the 5th fret, root on 6th string and root on 5th. I sat with the tuner on and the notes weren't sharp. I must have fretted 50 chords and plucked each string individually. It's just a matter of less aggression; attention to detail and focus. Now I have to work on keeping it that way when playing. I think 20 minutes each night should help. Aaaaaaargh even more to squeeze into my 60-90 minutes. I'm already trying to fit two hours into one and a quarter hours laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jul 17 2019, 09:00 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 18 2019, 08:35 PM
Instructor
hahaha that's great mate! You are on the right track. wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 19 2019, 07:14 AM
Thanks Gab, I need an app that slows down real time wink.gif

I'm in the south of France from tomorrow buddy, going to the airport hotel this afternoon.

I'll be on the forum, and I'll be ear training while on holiday wink.gif

Cheers

Speak soon

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 19 2019, 04:53 PM
Instructor
hahaha we all need that app!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 23 2019, 05:04 PM
Talking of apps, I didn't want to be singing intervals in my hotel room so I looked for some apps. Found a great one called "Perfect Ear". It's available in Android and ios, it covers lots of stuff even rhythm, it also has interval singing tests and a fretboard trainer.

I've just done some major and minor seconds tests. I got 100% on the ascending, 90% on the descending and 80% on the harmonic. As they were early stages each pair had a common tone, obviously this will get harder.

It's worth checking out, I know you don't need it but you might want to pass it on to your private students if you have any.

Speak soon

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jul 23 2019, 05:14 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 24 2019, 01:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 23 2019, 01:04 PM) *
Talking of apps, I didn't want to be singing intervals in my hotel room so I looked for some apps. Found a great one called "Perfect Ear". It's available in Android and ios, it covers lots of stuff even rhythm, it also has interval singing tests and a fretboard trainer.

I've just done some major and minor seconds tests. I got 100% on the ascending, 90% on the descending and 80% on the harmonic. As they were early stages each pair had a common tone, obviously this will get harder.

It's worth checking out, I know you don't need it but you might want to pass it on to your private students if you have any.

Speak soon

Nice! Thanks for recommending it. Sounds like a cool tool. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 24 2019, 04:26 PM
I've just done some more ear training and had a go at the rhythm training, I didn't do very well in the ryhtm but it can only help me plus I can do it anywhere, except around the pool, people will think I've gone crazy tapping rhythms out on my tablet laugh.gif I think you'd enjoy the rhythm tapping section buddy, this is almost like a game and you get points etc.

The hardest intervals for me at the moment are identifying major and minor seconds, is this normal?

I paid the £3.99 for the full set of exercises/tests as it seems worth it. wink.gif

Cheers

Phil

By the way I'm @philgmc on Insta wink.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jul 24 2019, 04:55 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 25 2019, 02:03 PM
Instructor
I'm now following you at INSTA!

Great to know that you are enjoying your vacation but also training your ear and rhythm skills mate! I'll check that app.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 25 2019, 02:50 PM
Great, let me know what you think wink.gif

Is also training my immediate memory because I'm having to hold the first interval in my head. This is another area that let's me down, remembering what I've just heard.

I'm going to post it in the forum if Kris says it's okay to.

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jul 25 2019, 03:36 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 27 2019, 04:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 25 2019, 10:50 AM) *
Great, let me know what you think wink.gif

Is also training my immediate memory because I'm having to hold the first interval in my head. This is another area that let's me down, remembering what I've just heard.

I'm going to post it in the forum if Kris says it's okay to.

Cheers

Sure! It's ok mate to share apps that can help students!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 27 2019, 07:30 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 27 2019, 03:54 PM) *
Sure! It's ok mate to share apps that can help students!

Thanks buddy, Kris said it was OK. I never like posting educational stuff without asking. It wasn't a popular post anyway. I thought a lot would have appreciated it but only two replies, one from Todd and one from Adam.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 28 2019, 04:34 PM
Hello Gab,

I've got to the section now where I have to detect the larger interval of two, they are diminished fifths and perfect fourths, wow its hard, I only got 50% first time and some of those must have been lucky. Really enjoying this app smile.gif

I'm hoping I can get to the stage one day where I can recognise the interval and not just which interval is the largest wink.gif

Cheers

Phil

UPDATE:
Ten minutes practise and I got to 100% there must have been some lucky guesses which is why I go back to earlier tests and will keep on doing so until I consistently get 100% which will prove it's skill and not luck. I'm going to earn this Gab. I'm also going to stop looking for shortcuts and sidesteps for playing improvement and just earn it.

"And where does this new thinking come from Phil?" you may be thinking, well watch Paul's answer to the Captain's question at 20:50. Paul seems almost offended, as though the Captain has belittled his skill. The Captain crawls back though laugh.gif
https://youtu.be/1PxX7plLKIc

Here's another great Paul Gilbert interview. He talks a lot about the blues at the beginning. At 10:10 it's basically what you told me when you gave me the A major pentatonic and told me not to use the position 1 shape shifted down the neck.
https://youtu.be/kr0SI0FSJpM

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jul 28 2019, 05:37 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 28 2019, 07:46 PM
Instructor
Paul is very inspiring. I'm glad to read what you are saying Phil. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 29 2019, 03:43 PM
Thanks Gab, Paul is so passionate when he talks about playing it ignites something inside me. No doubt there will be times I need to change something to freshen things up but it won't be a search for a shortcut, just some spice wink.gif

Today I added a couple of interval identification and major/minor scale identification tests. The intervals played were major & minor seconds and unisons, i don't see the point in the unisons really but never mind, the scales were random major and minor scales and I had to decide which were major and which were minor. I got 80% in both tests which I found surprising.

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jul 29 2019, 04:48 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 30 2019, 04:53 PM
Instructor
Great Phil!! It's very important to watch those videos that keeps us positive and motivated. smile.gif

Keep going!!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 30 2019, 07:22 PM
Thanks Gab

ALWAYS EARNED, NEVER GIVEN!! cool.gif

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 31 2019, 02:33 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 30 2019, 03:22 PM) *
Thanks Gab

ALWAYS EARNED, NEVER GIVEN!! cool.gif

Phil

smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 31 2019, 04:13 PM
Hello buddy,

I have a question if you don't mind. Is it common to be able to identify major and minor 2nd on the unwound strings easier than the sound strings? They sound much more obvious to me in the higher registers.

I really need to work on my rhythm, I'm nearly always well ahead of the beat, even when I think I'm holding back it shows that I'm ahead of the beat. I find it's my first strike of a strike after a gap that is most ahead. I might look at making a custom lesson in the Perfect Ear app based on what Ron says in this video.

https://youtu.be/nurMXLoR4oI

UPDATE:
Well I've made it through the first sixteen levels of interval comparison tests with 100%, I will go over them again until 100% is consistent. All of those had one common tone in each pair which I guess is to help beginners. Now I move on to interval comparisons with no common tone. If that doesn't make sense, it will if you have a quick look at the app wink.gif

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 1 2019, 03:25 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 2 2019, 03:17 PM
Instructor
Great stuff mate! That lesson by Ron is fantastic! It's awesome how difficult it is to do that exercise. I give it to my private students as well.

About your question, I think that the higher strings are closer to what a sinusoidal wave (pure tone) and that's why it's easier to hear. However, there can be any "Ear limit, frequency response" explanation to this too.

Thanks for the update, keep going! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 2 2019, 04:06 PM
Cheers buddy,

I will keep going every single day with Perfect Ear, it won't interfere with my guitar practise time at all. One of the best apps I've ever found smile.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

161 Pages V  « < 101 102 103 104 105 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:38 PM