5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Vai Meets Slash Collab!, It's time to rock again
Timmez
Aug 5 2021, 12:59 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
The concept is cool but it sounds like the guitar lead parts are not perfect in sync with the harmony of the backing track.
Cool vocal ideas

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 6 2021, 02:00 AM
GMC:er
Well they are two separate solos written at different times by different people so they were never created to synch up. Which is probably why they dont smile.gif I think he is using them more as a texture.

QUOTE (tflava @ Aug 5 2021, 07:59 AM) *
The concept is cool but it sounds like the guitar lead parts are not perfect in sync with the harmony of the backing track.
Cool vocal ideas

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 7 2021, 01:20 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (tflava @ Aug 5 2021, 01:59 PM) *
Cool vocal ideas

It's still a little rough for sure, please let me know if there any specific spots you are thinking about?

If you are referring to the whole concept of boiling down a solo into 5 well chosen licks then I am with Todd - it will be a sacrifice for sure. Luckily we have jam based collabs going on as well, such as the Emotive Rock Collab.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 19 2021, 11:53 AM
GMC Founder
Here is a new version where I have added some lead guitar and polished the mix some more!

If someone has ideas for more sections or want to add more recordings we could prolong it. Alternatively we can leave it at this, and start brainstorming about the next one!

Attached File  Aug19.mp3 ( 2.24MB ) Number of downloads: 44

Because I am sure you are dying to find out what I am singing about, here is what we have so far 😁

Sapere aude
(Dare to know)

Ad astra per aspera
(Through adversity to the stars)

Alea iacta est
(the die is cast)

Acta non verba
(Deeds, not words)

Ubi amor, ibi dolor
(Where there's love, there's pain.)

Amor vincit omnia
(Love conquers all things)

Though it might not be totally reciprocal
I know that in the end, what we’ll see
Is just picture
Of what used to be
Of what seemed to be
Horizontality burned into verticality
But what turned out to be…reality
It’s the real you and me

Where there's love, there's also pain.
Love conquers all of these things

Sapere aude
(Dare to know)

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Aug 19 2021, 02:29 PM
Sounding good. I like the intro.
I would double the length of the chorus at the end.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 19 2021, 02:51 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (klasaine @ Aug 19 2021, 03:29 PM) *
Sounding good. I like the intro.
I would double the length of the chorus at the end.

Awesome you dig it Ken - I absolutely love working with your recordings and ideas 👌👌👌

You mean the chorus starting at 01:10 right? Do you think we should bring in the soprano again?

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Aug 19 2021, 03:32 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Aug 19 2021, 06:51 AM) *
Awesome you dig it Ken - I absolutely love working with your recordings and ideas 👌👌👌

You mean the chorus starting at 01:10 right? Do you think we should bring in the soprano again?

Yes, the Chorus at 1:10.
I prefer your heavier 'normal' vocal there but I think it could be pretty cool if you added in the soprano part hard to one side underneath the main vocal. Put some longer delay on it and send it to the opposite side.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 19 2021, 10:44 PM
Good idea smile.gif Sort of use it as a texture with effects on it rather than feature it. Would work great as a sort of echo of the main vocal. This is going great!!!

I had the thought that instead of pushing the high voice around :28 instead use an octave below the standard voice mixed with the standard voice?

QUOTE (klasaine @ Aug 19 2021, 10:32 AM) *
Yes, the Chorus at 1:10.
I prefer your heavier 'normal' vocal there but I think it could be pretty cool if you added in the soprano part hard to one side underneath the main vocal. Put some longer delay on it and send it to the opposite side.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 19 2021, 10:47 PM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 20 2021, 11:18 AM
GMC Founder
In this mix I have extended the last chorus.

Attached File  Aug20.mp3 ( 2.81MB ) Number of downloads: 47

I also tried using soprano voice as backing with the hard panned delay Ken suggested (01:07), but I couldn't really make it work (so it's on low volume in this mix, I might remove it). I also tried a low octave 'monk choir' dub on the first chorus (00:26), but same for this one.

For the chorus at 00:26 I tried many different type of lead vocals, but it seems the only ones I have control over are either super soft in my natural range or the falsetto/soprano thing. Since I wanted something powerful I didn't have much of a choice. We can pretend it's my wife singing 👀

The chorus at 01:07 works I guess, but the vocals are pretty soft. I think this arrangement calls for a powerful chorus and increase in dynamics.

I used to have a barking type of voice that would work in high pitch, but I am having problems using it now. I never had any good technique with it, so I think I am currently simply not up for the dB levels of screaming which it required. Or maybe I’d have to be really pissed 😅

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Aug 20 2021, 06:15 PM
I would 'saturate' (distortion) and compress the soprano vox ... a lot!
Same with the normal vocal (and the soprano vocal) on the two ending choruses.

I like it overall. Definitely a different thing than usual.

+Quote Post
Timmez
Aug 20 2021, 08:55 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Very nice man.
It feels that some parts are more in sync ass wel.
Nice vocals and arrsnging 😎

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 20 2021, 11:56 PM
This is my fave version yet. Each time it gets a bit more polished. This is very cool to hear something evolve like this. It's a great insight in to the process. Each set of changes makes it more and more interesting!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 21 2021, 07:25 AM
GMC Founder
Awesome you guys dig it! 😍

I will experiment with parallel compression and try some different distortions and see if I can improve things.

…and we have a new empty lead fill spot to at the end, since I prolonged the last chorus. Who’s up for it? 😎

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 21 2021, 08:27 PM
would mine work? Theres plenty of it and I don't hear much of it in the first part of the song? I liked that blend with mine and the other one you chose. maybe a call and response with those two?

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Aug 21 2021, 02:25 AM) *
Awesome you guys dig it! 😍

I will experiment with parallel compression and try some different distortions and see if I can improve things.

…and we have a new empty lead fill spot to at the end, since I prolonged the last chorus. Who’s up for it? 😎

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 22 2021, 06:49 AM
GMC Founder
Yes I can probably edit something in there, your spots do sound very cool 😎

But if someone who has not yet participated wants to give it a shot that would ofc be best🤗

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Aug 23 2021, 04:52 PM
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jun 23 2021, 12:55 PM) *
Beautiful track, am enjoying it , can't believe so few have opted in on this

Did you play anything on this yet?
If not, come on in - we need ya!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 27 2021, 10:02 AM
GMC Founder
....and here is the FINAL RESULT!

Be sure to listen to it in the GMC Radio Player as well.

I think it's safe to say that the level of originality we have here is hard to match - and it all goes down to us creating music together.

Do we have the first ever online community band❤️

I think I will be listening to our tracks for decades to come, they are just so damn cool 😎

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 27 2021, 11:32 AM
Learning Rock Star
Sounds great, Kris! That was indeed very original and I like it! wub.gif

I hope we can do more of these. I like the idea of having a few different types of collabs (with or without deadlines):

- Song creation collaboration from scratch
- "Classic" solos collaboration (i.e. student after student for 30 seconds each like in the old days)
- Jam with Gab/Kris collaborations
- Song creation with backing track (like we have been doing for the past couple of years, where a backing track is provided and students add to that)

I'm sure there are more ideas out there.

EDIT:

- cover song collaboration (can we still do this? We did it in about 2009 with Smoke on the Water). Could be something everyone can join in on level wise with some parts - i.e. Another Brick in the Wall, a Beatles song like Hey Jude, Rolling Stones, whatever it we can think of. I don't know if we're allowed to do this though, but I think it could be interesting smile.gif

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Aug 27 2021, 11:41 AM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 27 2021, 11:59 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 27 2021, 12:32 PM) *
Sounds great, Kris! That was indeed very original and I like it! wub.gif

I hope we can do more of these. I like the idea of having a few different types of collabs (with or without deadlines):

- Song creation collaboration from scratch
- "Classic" solos collaboration (i.e. student after student for 30 seconds each like in the old days)
- Jam with Gab/Kris collaborations
- Song creation with backing track (like we have been doing for the past couple of years, where a backing track is provided and students add to that)

I'm sure there are more ideas out there.

EDIT:

- cover song collaboration (can we still do this? We did it in about 2009 with Smoke on the Water). Could be something everyone can join in on level wise with some parts - i.e. Another Brick in the Wall, a Beatles song like Hey Jude, Rolling Stones, whatever it we can think of. I don't know if we're allowed to do this though, but I think it could be interesting smile.gif

Awesome ideas Cael, I was actually just thinking how cool it would be with a new collab with some of your riffs…! 😎

--------------------

+Quote Post
Timmez
Aug 27 2021, 06:12 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Very cool results man 😎
Nice mix also. Congrats every one.
Maybe in the future i can also help to try to sing a little part or try some harmonies.
Very difficult but practice will help smile.gif

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:12 PM