Distortion / Overdrive Pedal, Looking for my sound
Bluesberry
Oct 16 2010, 10:16 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi guys, I've been looking for my sound for a while now. The final reason to actually buy a distortion or an overdrive pedal came to me when I tried to use my new analog delay pedal with my distorted amp - the noise was horrible as the delay distorted itself. ohmy.gif So I looked it up and realized I need another pedal - to produce the distortion so that it stays clean and beautiful when needed.

So I thought I might as well buy a pedal I'm content with and not just some random Metal milf. biggrin.gif

I'm looking for a pedal that can give me a heavy distortion so I can play loud high-gain solos, but it'd be also nice to play some bluesy, low-gain stuff... and I know most metal pedals can't do that, as the sound just isn't warm and "natural" enough. If it takes two pedals to achieve a good result, then so be it - just give me a hand here, as I'm pretty confused.

I like the sound of Steve Vai, Rudolf Schenker (Scorpions), Dimebag (Pantera) and Foo Fighters' guitarists, among others. I'm not that picky right now, I just need some ideas that I can look up and then analyze more carefully. smile.gif

Thanks!

- Kristian

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Kristian Hyvarinen: Oct 16 2010, 10:17 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stratman79
Oct 16 2010, 10:46 AM
Learning Rock Star
Whats your budget?

Dickinson have one they are releasing that looks amazing.

Butler also do a cheaper valve one...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Bluesberry
Oct 17 2010, 07:49 PM
Learning Roadie
Considering budget I'm not that picky yet - not until I'm confident that I have enough knowledge about the cost-effectiveness of different solutions. But we could say that I wouldn't put more than 150 euros in it... smile.gif

+Quote Post
Brandon Earman
Oct 17 2010, 08:20 PM
Learning Roadie

Man I'm in love with this distortion pedal. I just picked it up a couple weeks ago and it is simply awesome. The boost switch is excellent for cutting above the mix for lead work. It also cleans up nicely by rolling your guitar's volume knob back a bit. You can get a great range of sounds with this single pedal.

I paid a little over $200 U.S. after tax.

As with any gear... my best advice is to not only try this pedal out, but also many others and find the one that makes -you- happy.

Good luck man.. let us know what you get!

--------------------
"That's alright I still got my guitar, look out now!" -Hendrix

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Oct 18 2010, 02:19 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
You should check out Blackstar pedals, they're tube powered and the demos on Youtube sound great. Try to buy pedals second hand, because if you don't like what you bought you can always sell it again for roughly the same price you bought it.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 18 2010, 11:28 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hmmm maybe something like this : http://www.fulltone.com/stpframe.html

It will definitely give you good tones for bluesy low gain stuff but you can really kick it in for some hi gain leads (boosted too). Check it out in local stores and there are also some mp3 sound demos on the website.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Bear Rose
Oct 20 2010, 05:04 AM
Beginner Instructor
I would say definitely get a double channel pedal. That way you can have one channel for lighter stuff, and one for more hi-gain. I've never used one, but I imagine the box of rock would be a great choice.

A Fulldrive 2 is also really great for 2 settings with overdrive and boost. An Xotic BB Plus would be another good choice. It has 2 channels and channel B is higher gain than channel A. You can run them separately or stack them A into B, or B into A.

I'm an overdrive junkie, so if you're like me, you'll be trying pedals for a long time to come trying to find that perfect sound. I'm getting closer to it.......I think wink.gif

+Quote Post
Bluesberry
Oct 20 2010, 10:36 AM
Learning Roadie
Yeah, I guess the problem isn't whether I can find a pedal with a good low-gain and a good high-gain distortion... but whether I can find the tone I'm content with. The tone's always just too thin, too fuzzy, not warm enough, too stuffed, too distorted, too Hendrix-like, not Hendrix-like enough... biggrin.gif Maybe I'll find my own tone one day.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 20 2010, 11:49 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I agree with Mud, I’ve got a Blackstar HT Dual and it’s just super! Sounds very authentic/true also when recording.
For more metal tones there’s the DistX. A used one will fit your budget.

+Quote Post
Bluesberry
Oct 20 2010, 01:09 PM
Learning Roadie
Wow, those Blackstar demos almost made me wet my pants! biggrin.gif Awesome sounds. Has anyone got experience with the Ht Distx pedal? I like the ultra brutal hi-gain sound, and it seems one can do low-gain stuff with it too! Great! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 25 2010, 11:11 PM
Instructor
It's very hard to find the pedal that will satisfy both crunch and hi-gain tones. I can think of only a tube preamp/tube stompbox, and they are not cheap. Try to find a pedal with at least one preamp tube inside, they should sound a bit better. H&K Tubeman, or Blackstar ones are good. However.. I do think tube preamp would be best solution in your case.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
sted
Oct 29 2010, 07:59 PM
Learning Rock Star

Not cheap, but gives you great control over two levels of crunch, tube driven as well with really nice tone shaping options.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 30 2010, 05:22 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Oct 25 2010, 06:11 PM) *
It's very hard to find the pedal that will satisfy both crunch and hi-gain tones. I can think of only a tube preamp/tube stompbox, and they are not cheap. Try to find a pedal with at least one preamp tube inside, they should sound a bit better. H&K Tubeman, or Blackstar ones are good. However.. I do think tube preamp would be best solution in your case.

Ivan has a GREAT point here. Given the range of tones you are looking for, it may be beyond the ability of a single stomp box. You might start looking at a nice rack mount pre amp. Rocktron makes one called the Voodu Valve that sounds like what you may be after but the price is a bit steep. $750 List and about $400 used. Just in case, here is a link.

http://www.rocktron.com/products/preamps/vooduvalve/
Attached Image
Being able to nail tones from subtle and bluesy to brutal high gain is a lot to ask from one pedal for $150. But keep looking and above all try every pedal you can get your hands on. You'll eventually find the "perfect" one for you.

Todd

+Quote Post
stratman79
Oct 30 2010, 12:39 PM
Learning Rock Star
yh Ivan is bang on the money...

The 2 i suggested at the start retail at £300 & £500 each but you can even contol the bias on the tubes and deciede how hot you want run them.

Muds idea was great about buying 2nd hand!

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Oct 31 2010, 01:19 PM
Instructor
no more than this:
Ibanez Ts 909

for metal: 6-6-6!!!

Overdrive: 6
Tone: 6
Level: 6

and it's very versatile for many styles.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:51 AM