Competition Upload Thread, How to improve GMC!
audiopaal
Mar 24 2010, 10:20 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
This is the upload thread for the "How to improve GMC" competition.

Let's keep this thread free from discussion and non-relevant posts.
ONLY UPLOAD POSTS here, please!
(competition explained here)

Good luck and may the best man/woman win! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Kristofer Dahl: Mar 24 2010, 11:51 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
SirJamsalot
May 10 2010, 07:07 PM
Learning Rock Star
I know the competition is closed, but I have some ideas that I'd like to get on the floor. I'll start posting tidbits from my notes here.

The Site liason
New users when they sign up should get an email with links describing the main features of the site and how to engage in it. If there is a REC program, then there needs to be a "this is what the REC program is, these are the people who head it up, this is where you go (<link>) to sign up, this is how you sign up and this is how you submit to it. The same goes for the MTP program.

But this in my opinion, is not enough. GMC needs to be pro-active in user retention. If there are 10,000 users registered in these forums, but only 60 members online at any one time, that tells me that users are losing interest for a reason. I'm going to assume several reasons.

1. pricing
2. confusion on how best to use the site
3. fall off the map because they aren't being encouraged the way they hoped they would be.

I've seen great ideas for pricing. If there are 500 guests every day who aren't signing up, then making lessons pay/per/download is going to be quick income for GMC that can be used for bolstering the concept I'm going to share next.

Instructors should act as site liasons. That is, when a new user signs up, that user should be assigned to an instructor, whose duty is to keep that person's interest by showing interest in that user. Interest would be in the following form.

"Welcome to the site! I will be your first point of contact for questions you may have concerning how to use this site and how to leverage all the great information on this site. I would like to see where you are at in terms of skill level, so if you are willing, let's get you set up with an introduction video that I'll help you create. This video will give me an idea of where you are at musically. It will also be your introduction on how to submit videos for critique. We have several programs, one of which is a mentor program where I help you find an instructor who will help you learn the genre you are intersted in, as well as any other topics you are interested in."

You get the gist. If GMC shows an active role in pursuing its users, and encouraging them pro-actively to engage the lessons, and ask questions, then they will feel like GMC has a vested interest in them, and they will feel wanted and valued as a member. It will break the ice, and mitigate confustion on "how do I enroll in any given program"? Who do I talk to, where do Post? How do I record? etc.

I think the concept of a GMC new user Liason would be a huge benefit to user retention, which is something I think GMC could use based on the feedback I've read in this thread so far.

I have some more ideas I'll post when I have time.

Christian A.

Hosting Collaborations on 3rd party sites for exposure

Sites like Indaba Music and Kompose all have home pages where they show off the latest collaborations. If GMC does its collaborations on these sites, and sets up the collaborations with a description detailing who the collaborators are "GMC students" and that the reason for the collaboration is not only to make music but to learn HOW to collaborate, and that the leader of the collaboration is a teacher, you'll find a lot of people drawn to GMC to be part of those collaborations because

1. A lot of people sign up for these collaboration sites because they have hopes of doing something, but *alot* fall off because they don't know how to participate.
2. A lot of people aren't skilled enough.

If GMC trains people both musically, but also shows them HOW to collaborate by virtue of doing their collaborations on these 3rd party sites, visitors of THOSE sites willl be exposed to GMC's professional approach at training people.

3rd party sites like indaba and kompose might even showcase GMC with a few contacts to their marketing or other insders - GMC would help them retain and get more people involved, and GMC would get exposure by being on their sites active withint their communities with no extra effort - you're just collaborating on their site flying the GMC flag so others can monitor what is going on.

christian A.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by SirJamsalot: May 10 2010, 07:11 PM

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 17 2010, 07:15 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ May 10 2010, 08:07 PM) *
I know the competition is closed, but I have some ideas that I'd like to get on the floor. I'll start posting tidbits from my notes here.

The Site liason
New users when they sign up should get an email with links describing the main features of the site and how to engage in it. If there is a REC program, then there needs to be a "this is what the REC program is, these are the people who head it up, this is where you go (<link>) to sign up, this is how you sign up and this is how you submit to it. The same goes for the MTP program.

But this in my opinion, is not enough. GMC needs to be pro-active in user retention. If there are 10,000 users registered in these forums, but only 60 members online at any one time, that tells me that users are losing interest for a reason. I'm going to assume several reasons.

1. pricing
2. confusion on how best to use the site
3. fall off the map because they aren't being encouraged the way they hoped they would be.

I've seen great ideas for pricing. If there are 500 guests every day who aren't signing up, then making lessons pay/per/download is going to be quick income for GMC that can be used for bolstering the concept I'm going to share next.

Instructors should act as site liasons. That is, when a new user signs up, that user should be assigned to an instructor, whose duty is to keep that person's interest by showing interest in that user. Interest would be in the following form.

"Welcome to the site! I will be your first point of contact for questions you may have concerning how to use this site and how to leverage all the great information on this site. I would like to see where you are at in terms of skill level, so if you are willing, let's get you set up with an introduction video that I'll help you create. This video will give me an idea of where you are at musically. It will also be your introduction on how to submit videos for critique. We have several programs, one of which is a mentor program where I help you find an instructor who will help you learn the genre you are intersted in, as well as any other topics you are interested in."

You get the gist. If GMC shows an active role in pursuing its users, and encouraging them pro-actively to engage the lessons, and ask questions, then they will feel like GMC has a vested interest in them, and they will feel wanted and valued as a member. It will break the ice, and mitigate confustion on "how do I enroll in any given program"? Who do I talk to, where do Post? How do I record? etc.

I think the concept of a GMC new user Liason would be a huge benefit to user retention, which is something I think GMC could use based on the feedback I've read in this thread so far.

I have some more ideas I'll post when I have time.

Christian A.

Hosting Collaborations on 3rd party sites for exposure

Sites like Indaba Music and Kompose all have home pages where they show off the latest collaborations. If GMC does its collaborations on these sites, and sets up the collaborations with a description detailing who the collaborators are "GMC students" and that the reason for the collaboration is not only to make music but to learn HOW to collaborate, and that the leader of the collaboration is a teacher, you'll find a lot of people drawn to GMC to be part of those collaborations because

1. A lot of people sign up for these collaboration sites because they have hopes of doing something, but *alot* fall off because they don't know how to participate.
2. A lot of people aren't skilled enough.

If GMC trains people both musically, but also shows them HOW to collaborate by virtue of doing their collaborations on these 3rd party sites, visitors of THOSE sites willl be exposed to GMC's professional approach at training people.

3rd party sites like indaba and kompose might even showcase GMC with a few contacts to their marketing or other insders - GMC would help them retain and get more people involved, and GMC would get exposure by being on their sites active withint their communities with no extra effort - you're just collaborating on their site flying the GMC flag so others can monitor what is going on.

christian A.

I really like the idea of site liason and welcoming new members and guiding them. Also some email newsletters are always great resource. Those made me sign up for many things smile.gif))

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- audiopaal   Competition Upload Thread   Mar 24 2010, 10:20 AM
- - eddiecat   A "THEORY CATEGORY" in the guitar lesson...   Mar 24 2010, 10:28 AM
- - zen   Incorporate SI lessons in REC to boost up that sec...   Mar 24 2010, 10:59 AM
- - Gitarrero   Let's call it a "lesson planner", ki...   Mar 24 2010, 11:16 AM
- - Jensen   Ok, here it goes: First off when I came here, and...   Mar 24 2010, 08:12 PM
- - ZakkWylde   Here is my idea: http://www.guitarmasterclass.net...   Mar 25 2010, 12:56 AM
|- - Staffy   QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Mar 25 2010, 12:56 AM)...   Mar 25 2010, 11:07 AM
nnn
- - sted   My idea would make lessons more accessible to a gr...   Mar 25 2010, 11:51 AM
- - ZakkWylde   That is pretty close to my idea Sted... Guess we h...   Mar 25 2010, 12:30 PM
|- - sted   QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Mar 25 2010, 11:30 AM)...   Mar 25 2010, 03:49 PM
nnn
- - Deleted   iGMC in iPhone and iPod Touch My suggestion is to...   Mar 25 2010, 04:22 PM
- - Quibanez   My idea is to make a video chat for students too, ...   Mar 25 2010, 11:03 PM
|- - Praetorian   QUOTE (Quibanez @ Mar 25 2010, 06:03 PM) ...   Apr 10 2010, 01:07 AM
nnn
- - Keilnoth   WARNING This idea is based on geek stuff, math a...   Mar 26 2010, 08:43 PM
|- - Masterofabcs   Hey, I'm new around here. So, if I'm pos...   Mar 28 2010, 09:23 PM
nnn
- - maharzan   Well, I would like to post one of the problems wit...   Mar 31 2010, 10:15 AM
- - Alexiaden93   Hey there fellow GMC'ers. I've been watch...   Mar 31 2010, 09:58 PM
|- - Daniel Realpe   QUOTE (Alexiaden93 @ Mar 31 2010, 09:58 P...   Apr 25 2010, 10:53 PM
|- - Alexiaden93   QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Apr 25 2010, 11:53...   May 14 2010, 02:57 PM
nnn
nnn
- - Keilnoth   Another small idea here, I found out a few time ag...   Apr 1 2010, 08:40 PM
- - zen   OK, here are a few more coz these have affected me...   Apr 5 2010, 10:39 AM
- - Keilnoth   Sorry for spamming, I have got another one here. ...   Apr 5 2010, 11:25 AM
|- - thefireball   QUOTE (Keilnoth @ Apr 5 2010, 05:25 AM) S...   Apr 8 2010, 02:23 PM
nnn
- - Adrian Figallo   amazing ideas guys!, i'm really surprised ...   Apr 5 2010, 06:48 PM
- - Marek Rojewski   Well I am unsure is this a good idea, but anyway: ...   Apr 6 2010, 12:34 PM
- - playaxeman   He there: Add GMC tools like 1) chord library so...   Apr 6 2010, 09:54 PM
- - Fusar   Playaxeman, I love your points 5) and 6), I think ...   Apr 7 2010, 01:11 AM
- - zen   Another quick idea: We can consolidate or form a ...   Apr 7 2010, 09:55 AM
- - kaznie_NL   My very doable idea.... A random lesson button...   Apr 7 2010, 05:21 PM
- - Santiago Diaz Garces   This is a great idea. I'm sure that lots of co...   Apr 8 2010, 05:51 AM
- - ruben_mcn   How To Improve GMC ?? To Improve the Lessons: In...   Apr 8 2010, 06:19 PM
- - zen   Ive noticed the only time I spend on other guitar ...   Apr 9 2010, 06:11 AM
- - TheOneFromTheSky   Some of the sugestions are very good and I can...   Apr 10 2010, 10:33 PM
- - thefireball   This idea isn't really anything fancy, but I t...   Apr 11 2010, 05:29 AM
- - intemperateControl   Not sure if this will apply as an official entry, ...   Apr 11 2010, 08:41 AM
- - Tgo   Hi, I Have two ideas: 1 - I think that if you p...   Apr 12 2010, 03:45 AM
- - RobK87   My only two cents would be to improve the REC prog...   Apr 12 2010, 05:21 AM
- - kaznie_NL   So very simple and very important idea here. I...   Apr 12 2010, 06:04 PM
- - dunlop654   This web site is the best one that i have used. ...   Apr 13 2010, 01:32 AM
- - zen   My next idea is very simple, helpful to many and w...   Apr 17 2010, 12:20 AM
- - thefireball   Here's another idea I have.... How about havi...   Apr 17 2010, 06:36 PM
- - stratman79   Here's my idea: Its to replace or revamp the ...   Apr 18 2010, 11:42 PM
- - Praetorian   Just a quick mention here... How about a check bo...   Apr 21 2010, 12:09 AM
- - Caelumamittendum   To all the guys speaking about video chat room: I ...   Apr 21 2010, 12:30 AM
- - Santiago Diaz Garces   I think Kris will have a LOT of work to do with al...   Apr 21 2010, 04:34 AM
- - pain543   Using Self Daily-Checker and Weekly Checker. Ever...   Apr 22 2010, 10:13 PM
- - FruscianteIsGreat   Hello all of GMC This article will be about impro...   Apr 22 2010, 10:38 PM
- - audiopaal   Competition Closed! Thanks for all the remark...   Apr 23 2010, 06:45 AM
- - Andrew Cockburn   Wow, thanks all for the amazing entries, there are...   Apr 25 2010, 05:42 PM
nnn
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 08:57 AM