2 Pages V   1 2 >  
A Slightly-used Jafomatic, ... but new to GMC
jafomatic
May 8 2009, 11:01 PM
GMC:er
Hello GMC!

I'd procrastinated writing the recommended "introduce yourself" post because I'm generally a little shy when it comes to talking about myself. I'm generally quite open when asked questions. I'll try to keep this brief.

I arrived at GMC in a roundabout way: I was researching parker guitars and looking for good quality videos on youtube when I found David Wallimann's videos including a brief lesson. From those, he mentioned GMC and I have been hooked here ever since.

history
I began playing guitar in the late 1980's and devoted almost all of my free time to the instrument between 1989 and 1993. I didn't have the resources to seek out formal training --nor was there any real internet as we have today-- so all of what I knew was learned by ear, by word of mouth, or by practice and experimentation.

I formed an amateur-turned-professional alternate/rock band with some schoolmates and we played together for a little over two years. During this time I played 8-12 hours per day, an average of 6 days per week. The band broke up when we all went our separate ways to university and my time devotion to the instrument began to decline.

By mid 1994, perhaps April or May, I had stopped playing all together. For the next 10 years I would play maybe 24 hours ... per year. Maybe not even that often. I'd buy new strings, play for a weekend, and then totally disregard my instrument for months and months.

To make matters worse, what I did during those years (and still do professionally today) is programming. More specifically, typing. This may prove to be a serious limitation to playing again, if all these years of destructive repetition to my joints has had a lasting impact on their mobility.

goals

I'm hoping to learn and refresh my grasp of musical theory and technique, even if I can no longer play at the level for which I once had potential; I'm very happy to see such in-depth discussions and lessons offered here.

In addition to that, I'm also planning to learn what my new limits are; perhaps with renewed dedication I can play comfortably and confidently once again. I'm keeping my expectations somewhat low, just in case my fingers really are "too old" and "too rusty" to do everything I might ask of them.

I'm very excited to see such an active, helpful, and friendly community here. I wish there could have been such a resource when I was still in my teenage years.

Thanks to all for making this resource & community so useful and available!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by jafomatic: May 8 2009, 11:04 PM

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
May 8 2009, 11:18 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
great to have you here, nice intro, I`m sure you`ll be able to hit the kind of level that your aiming for, welcome to GMC smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 9 2009, 12:02 AM
Instructor
Welcome to GMC. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
MickeM
May 9 2009, 11:24 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Great story, except for the giving up on guitar part. Glad you found GMC and that you are here now smile.gif

+Quote Post
Stephane Lucarel...
May 9 2009, 11:29 AM
Instructor
Hi, great intro, welcome to GMC smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
May 9 2009, 03:42 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Very nice intro! I'm sure there are quit a few members here who can relate to this. myself included.

We're all here to have fun and learn so don't worry about your fingers being rusty.

Welcome to GMC! smile.gif

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
sted
May 9 2009, 05:40 PM
Learning Rock Star
nice intro mate!

I think you will be a valuable member with your experiences, so welcome!!

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
May 9 2009, 10:51 PM
Instructor
Thank you for sharing your experience and... welcome to GMC. It's time to play again seriously smile.gif

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
skennington
May 9 2009, 11:44 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Very nice intro man. Glad to have you here. Just kick back, jam and have some fun. Try not to make into such a chore and you will be good to go! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
May 14 2009, 10:00 PM
Learning Rock Star
Welcome to GMC, jafomatic ! I'm sure those 8-12 hours a day won't have been wasted, although you stopped for quite some time. All the information is sitting in the back of your head, and I'm sure you'll catch up quite quickly on all those wasted years (Iron Maiden, anyone ?) biggrin.gif

Please ask for any advice, but I doubt I can help you when it comes to guitar-playing ! biggrin.gif

Alexander

--------------------
My YouTube Channel
Lost in all the 2000+ GMC lessons? Check my Lesson Plan

Guitars
Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White body, Maple fretboard, White Pearl pickguard, 21 frets, SSS
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Recording equipment/software
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
Fran
May 14 2009, 10:26 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Welcome aboard, it was great reading your intro. I'm sure you'll find anything you need in here, enjoy! cool.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 15 2009, 01:22 AM
Instructor
Great introduction man, welcome aboard! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Berglmir
May 15 2009, 07:04 PM
GMC:er
It´s a great place to be - the community is very supportive and the instructors are....well.....GREAT! biggrin.gif
Welcome on board!!

+Quote Post
kahall
May 16 2009, 05:58 AM
Learning Roadie
Good read on the intro. I did not catch how old you are but your fingers cannot be as rusty as my 46yr old digits. I had barely touched a guitar (tried in grade school) until 2 years ago or so and I have also been doing a lot of typing. I'm not very good at typing or playing but this place makes it fun and it is better than my previous hobbies.
Rock on!

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
May 16 2009, 06:34 AM
Instructor
Welcome to the site Jafomatic, your never too old to learn something useful.

I just celebrated my big 40 just a couple days ago. Yah, i dont bounce back as i did when i was half this age but who does lol.

Just embrace the music and have fun! No sense bumming yourself out over something beyond your control.

Daniel

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
May 16 2009, 09:19 PM
Instructor
Welcome smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 16 2009, 09:24 PM
Instructor
welcome to the site

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
May 16 2009, 10:36 PM
Instructor
Welcome to GMC !

--------------------

+Quote Post
NoSkill
May 17 2009, 02:12 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
(And he says that I self depricate!) Welcome Jaf! Thanks for the chats and the encouragement since you've been here!

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
May 17 2009, 08:57 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Greetings on GMC! I am sure that with some proper practicing Your skills will come back to You in time. Just don't try to play for 12 hours a day from the start, as You can hurt Yourself. Nice to have You here:)

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:15 PM