2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Opinions On Mexican/swine Flu.
rokchik
Nov 1 2009, 11:38 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (NoSkill @ Nov 1 2009, 07:28 PM) *
People. Please inform yourselves beyond the information provided on a guitar forum. I beg you. Personal opinions aside, they are only opinions and not that of learned individuals in the fields of public health and immunology. If you don't want to get immunized, it's your own personal choice.

As a physician, I support each individual’s right to freedom of choice in health care and full disclosure of information related to such a choice. When discussing health promotion and wellness, I encourage patients and my friends at GMC, to responsibly evaluate and consider all information including benefits and potential risks related to any proposed intervention including vaccination.

This should be done from reliable sources which exclude our friends on websites and the news media. You need to ask these questions of the department of public health in YOUR country. Each countries risk and their plan is individual to that country. Please inform yourself. Having opinions based on desire rhetoric from websites or idle conversation with other untrained individuals may put you in harms way.

A public service message from another guitar player.

Cheers!

Well said smile.gif And excellent advice.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Nov 1 2009, 11:43 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (NoSkill @ Nov 1 2009, 11:28 PM) *
This should be done from reliable sources which exclude our friends on websites and the news media. You need to ask these questions of the department of public health in YOUR country.

Well said! I decided to not be my own doctor, since I'm not qualified, and listen to the right authorities for guidance. Sometimes we have to accept others know better and we listen to them wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Clare
Nov 1 2009, 11:57 PM
Learning Roadie
I just got my regular flu & H1N1 shot on wednesday, i don,t know if this is normal or not but it feels like i was hit in the arm with a hammer! because i can,t believe how much my arm still hurts days later, is the pain of the shot suppose to last this long???? it,s difinitely affecting my practicing....oh by the way the needle is about 2 inches long, wasn,t expecting that...lol

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Nov 2 2009, 12:00 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Buzz, some public health nurses wield the syringe like Zoro and his sword. No worries. Most people will get a little sore...some more than others.

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
Clare
Nov 2 2009, 12:07 AM
Learning Roadie
TRUE THAT!!! no skill.....maybe because all my tats, she might of thought my skin was like leather..LOL wink.gif

+Quote Post
kahall
Nov 2 2009, 01:26 AM
Learning Roadie
I can get my flu shots for free through wife's employer. I have never bothered getting them though and I am a freak about getting sick...germs are freaky.
I just don't get the flu that often and work at home so my exposure to the virus is limited. A cold will put me down for a week or more but the flu I recover from nicely.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 2 2009, 02:38 AM
Instructor
Dunno, it's happening here with delay (same as everything else cool.gif ). There are "only" 150 people contaminated, and although there is a hype going on, I will keep myself extra careful in the next 6 months or so. Vaccination crossed my mind, but I'm not planning to go for one, unless it is needed. I keep myself safe whenever I can, and hope the virus will go around me and all the people I know.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Canis
Nov 2 2009, 09:36 AM
Learning Rock Star
I'm keeping myself alert, and taking procotions like washing my hands often etc.. But I'm not taking the vaccine either. Part because I'm not in any riskgroups, and part because I think this entire thing is overhyped. More people die of heat stroke in Norway in a year then swine flu tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Nov 2 2009, 10:21 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
If everyone took the vaccine the spreading would come to a full stop. In my belife the vaccine isn't mainly to protect the ones with perfect health but to protect the risk groups, if also all the healthy ones took the shot it would stop from spreading to the risk groups aswell.

I don't think this angle ever was in the media; that one should take the shot to protect others and not themselves first. The angle has been to scare people into taking it, which makes folks evaluate "do I really need it for my own sake?". But probably led to a lot more taking the vaccine compared to saying "99% of the population don't need it t protect their own health, but please take the vaccine anyway to protect the risk groups". Who's number one? Appealing to peoples sympathy for others would probably lead to noone except the risk groups themselves taking the vaccine. Sad as it seems. dry.gif

From that aspect NOT taking the vaccine concidering one doesn't need it is very selfish. Maybe not realizing the purpose is to fully stop the spread and not protect you and you and you and you who already are healthy but to stop it from spreading to risk groups where there for a fact will be causalties. People will die.
I urge everyone who can think further than to themselves to take the vaccine. Because if everyone does that, we can later pat our backs and say we helped saving XX or XXX number of people from dying. It takes 30-60 minutes until you're back home again, I think it's worth it.

I usually don't tell people what they should do but in this case I see too many who has interpreted it as being all about themselves and their own health when it's actually about stopping the spread from reaching others. Everyone that doesn't take the shot gives the flu free passage.
Put yourselves aside and take the vaccine for the sake of the people who for a fact will die if they get the flu, even if you don't know them! smile.gif

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Nov 2 2009, 11:35 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Many different opinions here smile.gif

I'm not in a risk group either, and that means I'll have to wait 4-8 weeks before I can get the vaccine.
Yes, in Norway you'll have to wait quite a bit before us "normal" are getting the shot.
And the vaccine can take up to 3 weeks before you get the full effect, which means that I might not be fully vaccinated for 11 weeks..
That's a long time, and I probably won't take the shot when I get the option to do so.
No one knows what side effects it may have. Maybe there's no side effects now, but what about in a year?
It's not been tested properly, so no one can really say what's gonna happen to certain people.

This is my opinion, and no doctor can take that away from me smile.gif

That said, if I see everyone dropping like flies in 4-8 weeks I might reconsider smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jesse
Nov 2 2009, 11:57 AM
GMC:er
Mick's got a good point, so take them flu shots!

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
Jesse
Nov 3 2009, 11:57 AM
smile.gif Went to doc for my cough (it's stuck:P) and got antibiotics:)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jesse
Nov 3 2009, 05:26 PM
:X Took one of the capsules and got really sick (like, throwing up sick) then I rememberd I might've had these before once with the same nasty effect (even worse:P)
Effect should've wore off by now, got new ones, that my body can take.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Nov 3 2009, 11:06 PM
Jazz Instructor
That flu is so popular in Serbia, all day long they are talking about it on all TV stations...
I saw women wearing a mask yesterday!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 4 2009, 01:11 AM
Instructor
I posted in my previous post that I don't plan to take the vaccine unless it is needed. I'm just reading about other posts in more detail, and just want to state that I will take a vaccine as soon as I can, cause now I realize it will help preventing the virus spreading. Didn't think of it that way, and sorry if I offended anyone.
The thing is that I do not know when will this happen, or even if my country has vaccines for everybody. I will phone the medical center tomorrow and ask them.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Nov 8 2009, 11:29 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
In my opinion it is nothing but a huge media hype to make people spend money on medicines... I talked to my doctor about it, and he absolutely agrees...

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Nov 8 2009, 01:10 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
I also think about it as a hype, and a planed action aimed at earning money on it. Besides telling everybody to take the vaccine to save the minority is as good idea, as saying the minority to take the vaccine by themselves, and save themselves in the process, or am I missing something? (if so, please tell me what)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Nov 8 2009, 01:37 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Like MickeM I have a notified COPD (I'm alpha 1 -ATD). So two possible reasons for healthy people to take Tamiflu:

1 - Flu viruses mutate in the wild. If only those with a major COPD and thus particularly susceptible to them took Tamiflu then it would serve little purpose due to the mutation. Others would contract and spread it and the virus would mutate leaving those with a COPD who took Tamiflu back at square one. (TBH we'll be back at square one soon anyway as another strain of flu will rear up and start of some new pandemic anyway. All we're doing is dealing with one strain here...)

2 - Just taking the Tamiflu will leave me out of it for several weeks whilst my immune system tries to recover. Just taking Tamiflu will actually reduce my life expectancy because of how it affects my COPD. For those with normal health that isn't the case. You take it, maybe feel a bit off colour for a day or so then you're back to normal.

Having said all that I do agree that there is a degree of hype surrounding Swine Flu and the makers of Tamiflu will make quite a lot of money. Also as said elsewhere on this thread there are lots of strains of flu which also result in major issues that haven't received anything like as much attention - perhaps because they haven't been given such a media friendly and emotive pseudonym as 'swine flu'.

Will I take Tamiflu? Not yet. I live in a small rural community and as such there is little exposure risk. If the risk increases I may change my mind but it isn't there yet. Am I being selfish and or naive - see reason 2: at the moment there is more risk to my health and long term consequence in taking it then not doing so.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 11:25 PM