13 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Victor's Bootcamp, Fell Deeds Awake! Now for Wrath!! Now for Ruin!!
Todd Simpson
Apr 29 2020, 11:40 PM
GMC:er
The metronome is just for you for reference. If you can keep good time without it, you can stop using it smile.gif some folks find that it helps, some folks find it just gets in the way after a point. If it sounds like your playing is drifting in time, I might ask you to do a take with the click, but if it sounds solid then your internal metronome has taken over!

Sarge

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Apr 29 2020, 03:08 PM) *
Hi,

For the next lesson which is a tapping exercise, do I need to use the metronome?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Apr 30 2020, 01:55 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 29 2020, 10:40 PM) *
The metronome is just for you for reference. If you can keep good time without it, you can stop using it smile.gif some folks find that it helps, some folks find it just gets in the way after a point. If it sounds like your playing is drifting in time, I might ask you to do a take with the click, but if it sounds solid then your internal metronome has taken over!

Sarge

I don't think I can keep good time with or without it.
In this exercises I have some trouble connecting the phrases and also adding the open string into the tapping complicates the lick a little bit.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Victor Simion: Apr 30 2020, 01:56 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 2 2020, 06:20 PM
Adding the open string makes the entire thing a bit tricky to be sure. It's a step beyond the Eddie VanHalen style of tapping. You can do tihs! Just go slow until it's comfortable and reduce gain a bit if you are getting too much string noise.

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Apr 30 2020, 08:55 AM) *
I don't think I can keep good time with or without it.
In this exercises I have some trouble connecting the phrases and also adding the open string into the tapping complicates the lick a little bit.

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
May 8 2020, 05:44 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi,

Lesson 19 is ready!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 8 2020, 08:58 PM
Well fought Soldier!!! This is one of many licks that Ive created using the open string as part of the tapping sequence. It gives you a free note basically and makes the tapping pattern sound more complicated that it really is. This technique is more advanced than the standard tapping approach. This way, you get 5 notes per string in each position. If we didn't use the open string it would be a 4 note per string lick which is still more than the standard 4 note per string where the base note is repeated twice per every four notes played. As you get better at this type of lick, it will speed up. It's a "Shreddy" lick. It's built for speed. I"m glad you are playing with precision since that has to come first Keep doing this lick and try it on other strings as well. It will get fast pretty quick. When you play it "at speed" it sounds killer and works great in solos. It's almost a blur of notes when done fast as there are just so many notes packed in. Also, this will prepare you for the many open string tapping licks to come. Push it until you can play as fast as the video demo and you will have arrived!

Lets Debrief!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

TAPPING TO GLORY
-As I mentioned, this is not your fathers tapping lick. Many players NEVER use this type of lick as it's just not easy to play. You knocked it out in the first pass so super well done on that. I know this lick can feel very awkward on the hands and that's sorta the point of it. Your brain is in charge of your hands and it can make them do whatever you want. This is one step on that road. Well done!

QUIET AS DEATH
-The open string is there partially to test your muting. If your muting isn't solid, the open string will cause lots of other string noise. Your mute continues to get better each time so we have no extra string noise. SCORE!!

PULLING FOR POWER
-Lastly, I am looking at your pull off ability. This lick requires good tapping, good muting AND really solid pull OFF work. if the pull offs are weak, the lick just sounds bad. You manage to keep each note sounding the same in terms of loudness/dynamics. That's the capstone bit of this lesson and you got it.

Congratulations Soldier!! You are on your way to being a MONSTER player. Try playing this on every string and try making up your own patters that use this open string in the middle type of tap lick.

You just..

LEVELED UP!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ May 8 2020, 12:44 PM) *
Hi,

Lesson 19 is ready!

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
May 9 2020, 11:45 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd,

In lesson 20 should I include the warm up in the Video or only the workout is enough?
I hope you know what I mean when I am referring to workout or warm up.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 10 2020, 01:55 AM
In Bootcamp warmups are always optional. I'm sorry I should have been more clear on that. They are just to get your fingers moving. So the warmup does not need to be in your MISSION VIDEO. Feel free to include it if you want some feedback on it, it isn't part of the final grade.

Sarge

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ May 9 2020, 06:45 AM) *
Hi Todd,

In lesson 20 should I include the warm up in the Video or only the workout is enough?
I hope you know what I mean when I am referring to workout or warm up.

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
May 15 2020, 08:27 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi,

Lesson 20.
I think:
- I don't play on time in the first seconds
- After that I think I play on time most of the time

In the beginning of the exercise I didn't know how fast or slow the tempo will start so that's why the first seconds are off.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 15 2020, 09:40 PM
Well Fought! There is a pinch of drift, but it's not that bad. I am glad to see that you are able to detect it even when it's minimal. Your sense of timing has improved quite a bit and you are getting a really good sense of time/synch! This is exactly what I hope to see in these Missions. It will serve you well as you move forward and start playing faster and faster. Also, I hope you are able to use bits of this Mission in your next solo/collab project! Using long runs is part of your advanced training Soldier!

Let's Debrief!

MEDALS OF HONOR

CONTROL- First thing I want to see here is good CONTROL. You are showing a better level of control each time. Control over your fingers is one of the most important things I'm trying to teach here. It's great to see you work your up the ladder and improve with each Mission!!

ARTICULATION - The second bit I am looking for on this Mission is ARTICULATION. Are you tensing up? Picking from the elbow? Not using the thumb/first finger for pick control? Good news!! You are not showing any bad habits here and have adapted with very solid technique. Very nice articulation on this one. It's got several bits to test your picking and you nailed it!!! Nice. It's important to not let the pick pass too far beyond the point of the string so as to not get hung up in the strings. It's this "shallow picking" that allows quick movement of the pick hand between strings.

MUTE- Lastly, this one has open strings in it so your mute is crucial. Being able to hit the open string and not get other strings making noise is key. These licks are built to show flaws in muting and picking. They simply can't be played properly if there are gaps in ones mute Good news is you have no gaps!

SCORE!!!
You just..

LEVELED UP!!!

You are on a roll Soldier!! keep it up!!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ May 15 2020, 03:27 PM) *
Hi,

Lesson 20.
I think:
- I don't play on time in the first seconds
- After that I think I play on time most of the time

In the beginning of the exercise I didn't know how fast or slow the tempo will start so that's why the first seconds are off.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 15 2020, 09:40 PM

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
May 16 2020, 04:20 PM
Learning Roadie
Let me know what you think about the Lesson 21 guitar pro file.
I am not sure about the drums

This post has been edited by Victor Simion: May 16 2020, 04:35 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Mission_21___Third_Hamonization.gp ( 20.55K ) Number of downloads: 1770

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 17 2020, 01:10 AM
That's perfect! It's so good in fact that I'm going to add it to the MISSION itself if you are ok with sharing your guitar pro file! Well done! Drums are perfect btw. you only have to play the primary guitar line for your mission vid, but you can play both if you like smile.gif

Attached File  Mission_21___Third_Hamonization.gp5 ( 6.19K ) Number of downloads: 1399

Attached Image

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ May 16 2020, 11:20 AM) *
Let me know what you think about the Lesson 21 guitar pro file.
I am not sure about the drums

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 17 2020, 01:16 AM

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
May 17 2020, 07:30 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 17 2020, 12:10 AM) *
That's perfect! It's so good in fact that I'm going to add it to the MISSION itself if you are ok with sharing your guitar pro file! Well done! Drums are perfect btw. you only have to play the primary guitar line for your mission vid, but you can play both if you like smile.gif

Attached File  Mission_21___Third_Hamonization.gp5 ( 6.19K ) Number of downloads: 1399

Attached Image

Ok, great, thank you.
I am ok with sharing it and happy to help

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 18 2020, 11:50 PM
You are doing great Soldier!!! Keep it up!!!

Sarge

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ May 17 2020, 02:30 AM) *
Ok, great, thank you.
I am ok with sharing it and happy to help

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
May 24 2020, 02:25 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd,

Playing at 120BPM which is my limit speed for hand sync.
Played using guitar pro as a backing track, muted guitar 1 only, and played guitar 1 only.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 25 2020, 07:44 PM
Well fought Soldier! The fast bit in the in the lick is very tricky and because it goes from slow to fast to slow, it can be very tough to switch back and forth on speed.

Let's Debrief!

MEDALS OF HONOR

MUTE OR DIE Right hand is firmly planted on the bridge and you are starting to articulate the pick very well with a pinch of wrist and some finger action. This is exactly what I want to see on this one!

PRECISION
You show a great deal of precision here. Clean strikes and clean runs on the fast part. Congrats on playing this like a pro!

CONTROL No extra string noise, no unwanted notes. Very clean and lots of control. Keep it u!

You got this one Solider Impressive work!

You just..

LEVELED U!!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Sarge

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ May 24 2020, 09:25 AM) *
Hi Todd,

Playing at 120BPM which is my limit speed for hand sync.
Played using guitar pro as a backing track, muted guitar 1 only, and played guitar 1 only.

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
May 29 2020, 06:51 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi,

Currently I am practicing the extreme legato lesson.
I have the following problems when playing one handed

1. Hard to do cross strings
2. If it's not enough gain nothing is heard when I play.
3. Some fret buzzing issues mostly on legato, but also can happen even when I am picking.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 30 2020, 01:22 AM
So you are on MISSION 22 Soldier. This is a MILESTONE in your Journey. Can you give me a bit of video of you playing the drill so I can see what you are talking about? It's always much more helpful to see the hands in action. I'm sure I can give you some feedback that will help.

Keep in mind. I'm just showing off in the video. I play once with a pick and once without a pick. I also play fully ascending and descending just to show you what this will sound like once you get it down. However, I don't expect you to play all of that. I only want to see you play the one bit of tablature. It's a pure left hand power drill. It's all about hitting each strike with the finger tip.

Start on one string only. Just try to do the first few notes. Break it down string by string. As with everything, it's much easier to break it in to small chunks and then build it back up. This drill is to show if there are gaps in y our left hand power. By the end of this drill you will have enough hand power to make picking a choice instead of a requirement.

Sarge

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ May 29 2020, 01:51 PM) *
Hi,

Currently I am practicing the extreme legato lesson.
I have the following problems when playing one handed

1. Hard to do cross strings
2. If it's not enough gain nothing is heard when I play.
3. Some fret buzzing issues mostly on legato, but also can happen even when I am picking.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 30 2020, 01:29 AM

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Jun 4 2020, 08:04 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd,

Notice how my first attempt is weaker, then I play again, and sometimes when I cross strings you can hear too much noise.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 4 2020, 11:00 PM
Try this very simple OVERLOUD THU Patch on your next mission if you are using overloud that is smile.gif

Attached File  PushedTubeAmp.xml.zip ( 1.87K ) Number of downloads: 1141

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 5 2020, 06:05 AM

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Jun 5 2020, 04:26 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 4 2020, 10:00 PM) *
Try this very simple OVERLOUD THU Patch on your next mission if you are using overloud that is smile.gif

Attached File  PushedTubeAmp.xml.zip ( 1.87K ) Number of downloads: 1141

I am using Guitar Rig 5.
Should I do another take for Lesson 22?

--------------------

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:53 PM