Does Location Play A Role In Your Creativity ?
Ben Higgins
Oct 8 2014, 09:27 AM
Instructor
I'm assuming most of us have a particular room that is our 'guitar' room. We go there to practise, to play and to record.

What about the room itself ? Is it surrounded by things that make it your space ? Or is the surrounding irrelevant ?

I have a corner of the room that is my music area. The computer, amp and guitars live there. It's cramped and a total compromise but it works. Apart from a few postcards lying on the desktop there's no adornments, no items to appeal to my taste etc.. it's just a functional workspace. When I'm there to do something I don't take any notice of how things look so I guess I would say that the surroundings are unimportant during the moments of creation ie. playing, practising, recording.

What about inspiration though ? The times when little ideas formulate and take shape ? That can occur anywhere. It can often occur when we're out somewhere, doing something routine, like being at work or during a journey. I think this is common. We always seem to get great ideas when we're nowhere near a guitar !

Inspiration can sometimes come from thin air, unrelated to your surroundings. Other times I think inspiration can come directly from where you are. If you're on holiday and checking out some cool architecture, you may read the history of the place and that might spark an idea. Maybe not a musical idea, but a lyrical idea or song concept.

Have you been inspired by your physical surroundings before ? Even a memory of a previously visited location could do this.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 15)
Mith
Oct 8 2014, 09:44 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I have lots of pictures of bands and artists that I'm into and I like it. Whenever I feels stuck I have a look and just think, What would so and so do in this situation. Everything is also very funtional. All my studio equipment (well what I have so far) is in a large rack with my rack mounted PC and on top of that is my rack mounted guitar stuff. On the other side is my most common go to guitars and around the rest of the room hang the others. Big drum kit in there and other various instruments. I like everything being close by when insperation strikes.

Oh and a bean bag

I swear I reply first to all you posts, I should get a prize or something lol. Probably since its Mid afternoon where I am and I work at a computer

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 8 2014, 10:00 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mith @ Oct 8 2014, 09:44 AM) *
Whenever I feels stuck I have a look and just think, What would so and so do in this situation.

"What would Rambo do ?" biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Mith @ Oct 8 2014, 09:44 AM) *
I swear I reply first to all you posts, I should get a prize or something lol. Probably since its Mid afternoon where I am and I work at a computer

Oh. I thought it was something deeper than that.

Then you go and disappoint me.

ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
Mith
Oct 8 2014, 12:13 PM
oh no Ben its just posters of you everywhere honest
One of you as Rambo, another you in a ballerina costume. This one where your dressed as Micheal Jackson another where your dressed as John Lennon. It took me ages to do.

This post has been edited by Mith: Oct 8 2014, 12:15 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 8 2014, 01:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mith @ Oct 8 2014, 12:13 PM) *
oh no Ben its just posters of you everywhere honest
One of you as Rambo, another you in a ballerina costume. This one where your dressed as Micheal Jackson another where your dressed as John Lennon. It took me ages to do.

smile.gif

This is what I like to hear.

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 9 2014, 09:23 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
not that Im much of a songwriter but I do like writing riffs and bits of songs, maybe one day they will all come together cool.gif but inspiration for me has always come form listening to music, Ive never got any ideas for stuff by being outside or anything like that, I wish I did coz it sounds cool! I probably need to be more in tune with nature or something.
Although I was in an office once when a phone rang and the ringtone sounded like a Tony Iommi riff but in an 8 bit super nintendo type style. I remember thinking that if it was played on guitar it would have been the most awesome riff ever. I totally forgot it by the time I got home.
cant help but think that it was my chance at super rock awesomeness and I went and forgot it mellow.gif

This post has been edited by bleez: Oct 9 2014, 09:25 AM

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Oct 10 2014, 12:00 AM
Learning Rock Star
Firmly situated on a fluffy couch with potato chips and a movie ~ lots of inspiration just before I doze off, but it works great for me biggrin.gif

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 10 2014, 12:17 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
>What about the room itself ? Is it surrounded by things that make it your space ? Or is the surrounding irrelevant ?

I know it is not 100% on topic but I must share one observation : band rehearsal rooms. Locally, you usually rent these "studios" on hourly basis and have weekly rehearsals with the band. Seeing everything our city has to offer in this department, my impression is : these are really depressing places actually, in most of the cases smile.gif It is really amazing how bands come up with great and uplifting music where practice rooms look really horrible. Usually these rooms would be converted bomb shelters and similar structures away from everything in its surroundings. They look surreal smile.gif Basically when you are going to the studio you are thinking : ok now I'm going to go underground in a damp basement or bombs shelter where AC unit will recycle bad air for two hours. Now - music makes everything wonderful and I will come out of there with a smile on my face, every time heheh smile.gif

Are rehearsal rooms always this bad?
I'd imagine big cities will have a problem fitting a noisy rehearsal rooms for young bands so they need to choose "locations no one else wants to use" and where there are no residents around.

What is interesting though - it doesn't matter in the end what kind of conditions there are when playing a band rehearsal, as long as the vibe is good you don't pay attention to it but at the same time I always wondered how it would be to rehearse in a clean, sunny zen rehearsal room with amazing gear that actually works and sounds great smile.gif))

Back on topic - I like my "music room" and it indeed inspires me. What I have found is that I don't feel good when I have too many things cramped around in the room. I always "hate" the chaos of cables and gear I make during recording. I'm also lazy in setting up, so I like to have everything relatively "ready to go" for recording and try to minimize the number of operations I need to do before actually starting to play anything. What I always dreamed (and my band mates) was how it would be to get isolated as a band and work on the music, whole day - every day for a week or longer. It appears interesting to me as I would like to maybe do some composing/recording in nature on a sunny day. Modern gear actually allows for this having a minimal setup (laptop+usb interface).

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Spock
Oct 10 2014, 12:53 AM
GMC:er
It does for me. I can't be creative in a loud room/practice environment. I like to tinker at low volume, then come up with something. I feel very insecure just noodling in an attempt to find something and rattling the windows while doing to it. Once I have a working idea, then it's okay to turn up and get loud, and even once an initial groove is figure out, then it's okay to noodle around it loud.

But I guess I am too self conscious to be creative with the amps turned up.

This post has been edited by Spock: Oct 10 2014, 12:53 AM

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Oct 10 2014, 02:19 AM
Learning Rock Star
I would love to spend an entire week with a group of musicians tasked with writing material. That would be dreamy!

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Oct 9 2014, 04:17 PM) *
>What about the room itself ? Is it surrounded by things that make it your space ? Or is the surrounding irrelevant ?

I know it is not 100% on topic but I must share one observation : band rehearsal rooms. Locally, you usually rent these "studios" on hourly basis and have weekly rehearsals with the band. Seeing everything our city has to offer in this department, my impression is : these are really depressing places actually, in most of the cases smile.gif It is really amazing how bands come up with great and uplifting music where practice rooms look really horrible. Usually these rooms would be converted bomb shelters and similar structures away from everything in its surroundings. They look surreal smile.gif Basically when you are going to the studio you are thinking : ok now I'm going to go underground in a damp basement or bombs shelter where AC unit will recycle bad air for two hours. Now - music makes everything wonderful and I will come out of there with a smile on my face, every time heheh smile.gif

I'd imagine big cities will have a problem fitting a noisy rehearsal rooms for young bands so they need to choose "locations no one else wants to use" and where there are no residents around.

What is interesting though - it doesn't matter in the end what kind of conditions there are when playing a band rehearsal, as long as the vibe is good you don't pay attention to it but at the same time I always wondered how it would be to rehearse in a clean, sunny zen rehearsal room with amazing gear that actually works and sounds great smile.gif))

Back on topic - I like my "music room" and it indeed inspires me. What I have found is that I don't feel good when I have too many things cramped around in the room. I always "hate" the chaos of cables and gear I make during recording. I'm also lazy in setting up, so I like to have everything relatively "ready to go" for recording and try to minimize the number of operations I need to do before actually starting to play anything. What I always dreamed (and my band mates) was how it would be to get isolated as a band and work on the music, whole day - every day for a week or longer. It appears interesting to me as I would like to maybe do some composing/recording in nature on a sunny day. Modern gear actually allows for this having a minimal setup (laptop+usb interface).

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Mith
Oct 10 2014, 02:22 AM
A few are pretty bad and there are a few pretty nice ones around me. What my old band use to do was rent out a part of a large worshop and have oh own private rehersal space we could use pretty much anytime. While it was never intended to have a great sound the reverb in the place ended up sounding really nice. We recorded a few tracks in there as well as had another 2 bands do the same thing.

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Oct 10 2014, 07:17 AM) *

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 10 2014, 08:47 AM
All I need is easy access to a decent cup of coffee and no distractions for 3 hours.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 10 2014, 04:37 PM
Instructor
I believe that location has a big role on my creativity. I'm much more creative when I'm on a different place than the one I stay most of my time. That's why I consider that my recording, practice room is more related to the hard work stuff, but the creativity appears when I let it and disconnect to diary routines and work. I can create at my practice room, I can compose full songs, but I know that the best ideas and creations appear when I'm in other part of the house or in another place, walking, at the part, at the beach.

I don't know the real reason why but I even have a trick to compose songs. Instead of sit in front of the computed with Cubase open and my electric guitar, I go out with my electric guitar, to a place where I've never been. It can be the rooftop, I bring my acoustic guitar and my celphone to record. Most of the times, some great melodies, riffs and progressions appear. It's like magic. Then, I go to the studio to record, arrange and give shape to the tune.

So, creativity is totally affected by where I am....

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 13 2014, 12:00 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Oct 10 2014, 03:19 AM) *
I would love to spend an entire week with a group of musicians tasked with writing material. That would be dreamy!

I still plan to accomplish this once - I haven't given up on it! smile.gif
I think it would be a really cool experience and probably very similar to what "big" bands do on their daily basis.

New bands in my area often compare their playing/music with their idols but they often forget that those bands practice like crazy and work on their music full time. Everyone needs to practice and put in a lot of songwriting hours to be able to compose all those cool songs. Of course creativity and great idea can appear at any moment but overall in band type of setup, lots of quality team work is needed to push forward.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Mith
Oct 13 2014, 01:23 PM
They also have alot of people behind the scenes helping and giving ideas as well

QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Oct 11 2014, 03:13 PM) *
I will come with a new option (if it's ok smile.gif ) because I prefer something black with obscure lights, simplistic and modern smile.gif
This is how looks my dream studio wink.gif What do you think?

[attachment=39225:1.jpg] [attachment=39226:2.jpg]

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Oct 13 2014, 07:00 PM) *
I still plan to accomplish this once - I haven't given up on it! smile.gif
I think it would be a really cool experience and probably very similar to what "big" bands do on their daily basis.

New bands in my area often compare their playing/music with their idols but they often forget that those bands practice like crazy and work on their music full time. Everyone needs to practice and put in a lot of songwriting hours to be able to compose all those cool songs. Of course creativity and great idea can appear at any moment but overall in band type of setup, lots of quality team work is needed to push forward.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 14 2014, 02:40 AM
Works for me too wink.gif I find that trying to compose something new, but doing it in the same old surroundings, can often lead to the same old compositions if your not careful. So try to compose, even if just in your head, the next time you are some place you've never composed before. ANYWHERE. For example, I came up with several bits for this past vid chat lesson driving to the doctors office, more at the office, and more at the grocery. Just writing music in my head in places I"d never tried it before.

Novel situations can really shake things loose in the brain smile.gif You don't need to have your guitar with you to write stuff. Honestly, trying to write without it is a great way to push yourself musicially smile.gif Then trying to remember it when you get back to your studio is part 2!!!

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 10 2014, 11:37 AM) *
I believe that location has a big role on my creativity. I'm much more creative when I'm on a different place than the one I stay most of my time. That's why I consider that my recording, practice room is more related to the hard work stuff, but the creativity appears when I let it and disconnect to diary routines and work. I can create at my practice room, I can compose full songs, but I know that the best ideas and creations appear when I'm in other part of the house or in another place, walking, at the part, at the beach.

I don't know the real reason why but I even have a trick to compose songs. Instead of sit in front of the computed with Cubase open and my electric guitar, I go out with my electric guitar, to a place where I've never been. It can be the rooftop, I bring my acoustic guitar and my celphone to record. Most of the times, some great melodies, riffs and progressions appear. It's like magic. Then, I go to the studio to record, arrange and give shape to the tune.

So, creativity is totally affected by where I am....

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:02 PM