Paul Gilbert - Two Types Of Guitarists, Very important advice from Mr. Big :)
edguy
Jan 23 2012, 05:43 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey guys,

i want to share this video with you. Paul Gilbert talks about two types of guitarists: rhythmic and non rhythmic.

I think being a rhythmic guitarist is very important!

What's your opinion on this topic?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My gear:
Schecter Blackjack ATX FR
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jan 23 2012, 05:57 PM
Instructor
Of course! This is a good example and explaination how to play rhythmically! Even fast solos require rhythmic structure, otherwise it all looks like a bunch of piled tones !

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jan 24 2012, 08:26 PM
Instructor
this was posted a while back, but it doesn't matter...this is such an important topic for ANY musician, it should be taken seriously!

Most of the times, just playing in tempo and locked-in takes care OF YOUR TECHNICAL PROBLEMS...

So be aware of this and, not even only as a guitarist but also as a listener, you'll find that rhythm is everywhere, even in the most extreme polyrhythms or fast shred parts!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jan 25 2012, 12:24 AM
Learning Roadie
Yep, it was good to see this video again. Great advice!!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 25 2012, 01:14 AM
GMC:er
This is a really great point he is making here. Playing fast or slow, you should try to focus on playing with/against or with and against the backing rythm. The notes your playing are heard in the context of what they are being played on top of. So choosing where to strike, what notes to hold, when to come in on the beat/behind the beat, etc. All goes in to how your playing sounds to a given listener.

This is something that takes a bit of practice to really understand. Just stringing notes together, despite the context/music they are happening in, is a tad pointless. It can sound like blur/mush/etc. Always consider the tune/rythm/vibe of a track before you put your hands on the fretboard. Find the groove. Then play smile.gif

+Quote Post
Opossum
Jan 25 2012, 03:43 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (edguy @ Jan 23 2012, 04:43 PM) *
Hey guys,

i want to share this video with you. Paul Gilbert talks about two types of guitarists: rhythmic and non rhythmic.

I think being a rhythmic guitarist is very important!

What's your opinion on this topic?

Any chance that an instructor would be willing to tab out that speed pattern from 1:04 to 1:10 mark?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:45 AM