Sub Octave Effect
GuitarNewb
Jun 18 2009, 07:23 PM
GMC:er
Trying to learn Seven Nation Army by White Stripes. Got the first part down but sounds nothing like the actual song. Been reading and It requires a sub octave effect to sound like the real song. When I looked into that, there is all sorts of octave effects out there. How do i know which one will work? Never really looked into those before.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
If i spend my time learning real guitar instead of playing Rock Band, I might actually be able to ROCK OUT for real!

Untill than, I'm a guitar Newb
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Skalde
Jun 18 2009, 07:33 PM
Learning Roadie
I believe this song is played in a non standard(open) tuning with slideguitar. Maybe this is why the record sounds so different than your playing?
On the record he plays some parts with bass. Only live he uses an octave pedal - but I could be mistaken.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Skalde: Jun 18 2009, 07:34 PM

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 18 2009, 08:31 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
The Boss Octave OC-3 is probably the most versative Octave pedal at the best bang for the buck.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 18 2009, 11:28 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jun 18 2009, 09:31 PM) *
The Boss Octave OC-3 is probably the most versative Octave pedal at the best bang for the buck.

I really recommend this one! Its a standard...Also its very useful with a bass guitar too smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jun 18 2009, 11:48 PM
Learning Tone Master
Octave pedals are pretty useless in a band context since you'll have a bass player who can play those parts. Do you really need a pedal just to play one song?

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
GuitarNewb
Jun 19 2009, 02:31 AM
GMC:er
I really dont need one, and I really dont know how to use it. I guess my question in the beginning what what kind to get because there are so many with the octave name in it. No need to pay 120$ for one song. You are right.

--------------------
If i spend my time learning real guitar instead of playing Rock Band, I might actually be able to ROCK OUT for real!

Untill than, I'm a guitar Newb

+Quote Post
Skewlbuzz
Jun 19 2009, 10:47 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (GuitarNewb @ Jun 19 2009, 03:31 AM) *
I really dont need one, and I really dont know how to use it. I guess my question in the beginning what what kind to get because there are so many with the octave name in it. No need to pay 120$ for one song. You are right.

If you need a pedal for more songs there's always the DigiTech Whammy.. It's quite expensive though, but can do a LOT more than just octave shifting :]

--------------------

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008
Fender Squier '51

---------------------
Amp(like):
Blackstar Series One 45
Line6 POD Studio UX1
Marshall MG15CDR

---------------------
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
DigiTech Whammy
Z.Vex Fuzz Factory
Dunlop MXR Carbon Copy

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 19 2009, 07:07 PM
Instructor
Sub-octave is basically just something playing 1 or 2 octaves bellow the note you are playing. Any effect can be useful here, and with Boss you won't make a mistake. It's a standard.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:57 AM