Tips For Entertaining Songs On Acoustic Guitar, Which do not require vocals
mhskeide
Nov 11 2009, 08:20 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Hi guys

I`m often asked to play in family parties and various smaller arrangements.
My problem, I almost don`t know any fancy songs to play which can be entertaining and nice without vocals. I know some classic song arrangements of songs like Love Hurts and Yesterday that I could play, even Cavatina (though I`m not sure I`m ready to play that live yet in case of nervous breakdown tongue.gif ).

So the question: Do you have some ideas for songs I could play at such places?
I`m absolutely no Andy McKee with the acoustic guitar, but on the other hand, I`m not totally worthless either though I mostly play electric.

thanks for recommandations smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rokchik
Nov 11 2009, 11:36 PM
The Dark Canuck
I think "Never Going Back Again" by Fleetwood Mac would be a good song for such an occasion.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
playaxeman
Nov 11 2009, 11:45 PM
Learning Rock Star
Do you play with a band or only acoustic guitar

I also depend on the crowed.

Try something like:
- supertramp: give a little bid
- the beatles: Hey Jude
- Stones: you can't always get what you want,
Angie
- Police: Roxanne
- Sting: Fragile
- Eagles: hotel California or takes it easy
- America:horse with no name
- Guns n Roses: patience
- Rod Steward: I am sailing
- Chistoffer Cross: sailing
- Kansas: dust in the wind

Any good cover book will have some stuff like this.

Good luck mate

--------------------
Gear:

Guitars
Music Man Luke BFR , Music Man JP LTD 2008, Paul Reed Smith Santana III, Gibson Les Paul, Ovation Adamas, Ovation Ultra

Amps
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 50 combo

Effects
Korg Pandora PX5D, Line 6 Pod XT Live

Recording
Guitar Rig 5, Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000, Magix MusicMaker2008

Visit My Website

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Nov 12 2009, 12:25 AM
Accomplished Tone Guru
I`m playing alone, and until I learn to sing properly, its guitar exclusively!
Thanks for the tips wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 12 2009, 12:44 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Check out arrangements from Sungha Jung to get some ideas which songs to cover.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgVqX0a49HM

Having a repertoire of songs that are arranged to play rhythm+melody at the same time on acoustic is always a great skill to have. Such arrangements are always entertaining , at least to me! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Nov 12 2009, 07:47 AM
GMC:er
I would definitly go for Hotel California. Is such a great song and everybody knows it.

+Quote Post
zen
Nov 15 2009, 11:18 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Santiago Diaz Garces @ Nov 12 2009, 08:47 AM) *
I would definitly go for Hotel California. Is such a great song and everybody knows it.

Yep , Santiago knows the routine well.

I subconsciously wait for that dreadful moment in social gatherings where someone suddenly jumps up n says "do you know hotel California?" laugh.gif

And no , i dont know how to play it but can confirm too that its a crowd favorite for sure.

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Staffy
Nov 15 2009, 11:56 AM
Learning Tone Master
Hotel California, Stairway to heaven, Claptons "Tears in Heaven", All Beatles.... , Still got the blues....
Oooh, now I remember, there's a site on the internet who have easy arrangemants for famous songs....
They have PLENTY, almost every one You can imagine.....

Its LickByNeck.com , look under "Solo guitar" and You will find plenty
of arrangements... you have to use their software though, but it works perfectly and its free!!!! smile.gif

//Staffay

EDIT: And You dont have to learn to sing, at every party I've been playing at, there are at least 4-5 women who loves their own voice (even that I mostley disagree... laugh.gif ) It will do if You just know the chords for the songs, since when You begin to play a lot of people are eager to join! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Staffy: Nov 15 2009, 12:03 PM

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Nov 15 2009, 10:47 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (Staffy @ Nov 15 2009, 11:56 AM) *
Hotel California, Stairway to heaven, Claptons "Tears in Heaven", All Beatles.... , Still got the blues....
Oooh, now I remember, there's a site on the internet who have easy arrangemants for famous songs....
They have PLENTY, almost every one You can imagine.....

Its LickByNeck.com , look under "Solo guitar" and You will find plenty
of arrangements... you have to use their software though, but it works perfectly and its free!!!! smile.gif

//Staffay

EDIT: And You dont have to learn to sing, at every party I've been playing at, there are at least 4-5 women who loves their own voice (even that I mostley disagree... laugh.gif ) It will do if You just know the chords for the songs, since when You begin to play a lot of people are eager to join! smile.gif

That last point was the one that was going to save me, I hoped wink.gif
But, I got a friend to join me, who both sings and plays very good, so I think this will go pretty good biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Staffy
Nov 15 2009, 10:52 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (mhskeide @ Nov 15 2009, 10:47 PM) *
That last point was the one that was going to save me, I hoped wink.gif
But, I got a friend to join me, who both sings and plays very good, so I think this will go pretty good biggrin.gif

Well, good luck!!! smile.gif

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 16 2009, 01:13 AM
Instructor
OMG, so many good songs out there to play and sing, and you cannot think of any! YT and google for you mister! biggrin.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:48 AM