5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Back (maybe)
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 2 2022, 03:04 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 2 2022, 10:13 AM) *
Thank you Ben and Todd, I'll check those out later today and see how much my fingers get tangled laugh.gif

Much appreciated

Thanks buddy, I'm not fishing for compliments but how do I inspire you? I'm interested to know.

Cheers

You have showed endless and tireless work on the guitar, always shown good activity here, asking good questions and shown curiousity and willingness to learn. I know motivation comes and goes for all of us, but whenever I've looked at your threads or post, I think "that Phil guy never stops working on his playing, so why should I stop?"

I hope the videos helped. If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 2 2022, 04:15 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Storm Linnebjerg @ Aug 2 2022, 03:04 PM) *
You have showed endless and tireless work on the guitar, always shown good activity here, asking good questions and shown curiousity and willingness to learn. I know motivation comes and goes for all of us, but whenever I've looked at your threads or post, I think "that Phil guy never stops working on his playing, so why should I stop?"

I hope the videos helped. If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask!

Thanks Ben,

It does take a lot for me to give up, I can be like a dog with a bone at times, sometimes to a fault rolleyes.gif

What I find amazing with this track, when you listen to our, it sounds nice and slow, try to play along at full speed and it seems frantic, many times I've checked the playback speed in GP thinking I'm over cooking it laugh.gif

I'm down at my holiday home for a few more days so spending a lot of time out so not getting lots of chances to play but I'll be trying more when I return.

Thanks again smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 3 2022, 04:18 AM
GMC:er
You are indeed like a dog with a bone which is exactly what being a good musician requires smile.gif A certain amount of dogged determination. It's a sign of good character and can be learned via music, or really any other pursuit. The good news is that it can spill over into other parts of life and have a very positive effect. Your example is a fine one indeed. Goes to show how important tenacity is. Bravo.

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 2 2022, 03:30 AM) *
Thank you Ben and Todd, I'll check those out later today and see how much my fingers get tangled laugh.gif

Much appreciated

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 3 2022, 11:19 AM
Thanks Todd smile.gif

To both Ben and Todd, re the troublesome lick. I'm going to go back to something I used to do with legal phrases that is completely forgotten. I'm going to learn it slowly but picking every note. I remember that this helped my left hand remember the notes without having to work on the legato side of things. One the left hand knows where to go I then add the legato.

Also Ben, where you mentioned the TAB not being correct and some of the notes looking like they've been tied rather than played twice, yes it does look line that on the TAB but when it's played in GP it does tie them together which I think is strange if it's tabbed how it is, for GP to tie them. I'll try to do a screen capture of GP playing it.

Cheers folks.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 3 2022, 08:38 PM
Unless my ears are deceiving me, the TAB is incorrect in that some notes are tied but showing as being individual notes but GP seems to play them correctly according to the original video.

https://youtu.be/lm4FfG7A3Lk

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 3 2022, 08:57 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 3 2022, 09:38 PM) *
Unless my ears are deceiving me, the TAB is incorrect in that some notes are tied but showing as being individual notes but GP seems to play them correctly according to the original video.

https://youtu.be/lm4FfG7A3Lk

Just recorded this while I was setting up some other things, so bear with me on the mess. It's the D note that I don't think is repeated in the real version (7th fret on the G string). Talking a bit about it here:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 3 2022, 09:26 PM
Learning Rock Star
Exercise idea to master that phrase:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 3 2022, 10:11 PM
This is perfect! I really dig your teaching setup. Also, watching you create the tab in real time is very informative.
Can you share the tab for these?

This is a vid ben did for me showing him creating tab. It's a great way to see how licks can be built and how changes in tab can reflect so much about what is being played. He creates tab with a very fluid hand almost like watching him play guitar. spiff!

QUOTE (Storm Linnebjerg @ Aug 3 2022, 03:57 PM) *
Just recorded this while I was setting up some other things, so bear with me on the mess. It's the D note that I don't think is repeated in the real version (7th fret on the G string). Talking a bit about it here:

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 4 2022, 01:36 AM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 4 2022, 12:39 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 3 2022, 11:11 PM) *
This is perfect! I really dig your teaching setup. Also, watching you create the tab in real time is very informative.
Can you share the tab for these?

Of course! Here you go!

@Phil:
Where it says "aim peaks and valleys on beats", what I'm talking about is when the line "turns around", i.e. on the 6th fret of the G string, where it starts going up the neck again and that 6 being on the second beat of the bar. Those can be good anchor points in a run like this. Similarly when 9th fret is on beat 3 as the line goes back down the fretboard.

GP:
Attached File  Exercises_for_Phil_and_GMC.gp ( 20.69K ) Number of downloads: 162

PDF:
Attached File  Exercises_for_Phil_and_GMC.pdf ( 72.24K ) Number of downloads: 183

Image:
Attached Image

This post has been edited by Storm Linnebjerg: Aug 4 2022, 12:43 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 4 2022, 09:34 AM
Wow ohmy.gif Ben, thank you so much for this, I really appreciate it, Kris should get you on the payroll as a mentor, you have great teaching skills and you seem to really enjoy it, we could do with another official instructor at the moment wink.gif

Cheers buddy, thank you from the bottom of my heart, I hope I can get it right now.

I don't fully know the is and outs of GP and note values (I always end up with red bars rolleyes.gif ) but can you explain why GP plays it differently to how it's tabbed regarding the tied notes that aren't tabbed as tied but it ties them when it plays the tune.

Cheers buddy, you're a star wub.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 4 2022, 09:35 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 5 2022, 12:12 AM
Learning Rock Star
I'm not sure what you mean with the "but can you explain why GP plays it differently to how it's tabbed regarding the tied notes that aren't tabbed as tied but it ties them when it plays the tune." to be honest.

The note I mentioned that should be tied (the one over the bar line), is the 7th fret of the G string. In the video you posted above it's not tied and is being played twice. I might be wrong, but I don't think Satch plays that note twice, so that's why I'd tab it as a tied note - meaning Guitar Pro will only play the note once.

And thank you for the kind words. I like doing things like this as you know - passing on what I know and all. Whether that's in music or in football or in other things. I always appreciate your kind words! I hope some of it helps smile.gif

This post has been edited by Storm Linnebjerg: Aug 5 2022, 12:13 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 5 2022, 11:36 AM
QUOTE (Storm Linnebjerg @ Aug 5 2022, 12:12 AM) *
I'm not sure what you mean with the "but can you explain why GP plays it differently to how it's tabbed regarding the tied notes that aren't tabbed as tied but it ties them when it plays the tune." to be honest.

The note I mentioned that should be tied (the one over the bar line), is the 7th fret of the G string. In the video you posted above it's not tied and is being played twice. I might be wrong, but I don't think Satch plays that note twice, so that's why I'd tab it as a tied note - meaning Guitar Pro will only play the note once.

Ignore me buddy, you're correct, my ears are a wasted appendage rolleyes.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 5 2022, 01:22 PM
Learning Rock Star
I've done exactly that a million times. Been like "why is it only playing that once, when there are 2 notes?". I've had to listen carefully a few times laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 7 2022, 07:05 PM
Learning Rock Star
Have you had time to look at the track and the passage more, Phil? Let us know how you get on! cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 7 2022, 07:34 PM
QUOTE (Storm Linnebjerg @ Aug 7 2022, 07:05 PM) *
Have you had time to look at the track and the passage more, Phil? Let us know how you get on! cool.gif

Sorry buddy. I have been working on it, I'm amazed how quickly you were able to remember the sequence. Anyway, I had to put it on the back burner for a couple of days I got a blister on my pinky.

I'm back home now too so time will be more regimented than when I was at my caravan for two weeks.

Thanks for checking up cool.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 7 2022, 08:15 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 7 2022, 08:34 PM) *
Sorry buddy. I have been working on it, I'm amazed how quickly you were able to remember the sequence. Anyway, I had to put it on the back burner for a couple of days I got a blister on my pinky.

I'm back home now too so time will be more regimented than when I was at my caravan for two weeks.

Thanks for checking up cool.gif

No need to apologize. I'm just checking in on you wink.gif

As for remembering it, these kinds of runs are not that uncommon in the more shreddy style of music. But here's a little analysis of those "anchor points" (made up term just now) that can be used both in execution of the run and in remembering it.

Attached Image

All the red squares line up with those "peaks and valleys" I mentioned earlier, i.e. where a run of notes start on a high note or a low note.

Beat 1: From the 7th fret of the high E (first red square) it goes down to...
Beat 2: ...where from the 6th fret of the G string (second red square) it goes up to...
Beat 3: ...9th fret of the G string from where it goes down.

etc.

The green square is a similar melodic movement from a B note to an A note then back to a B note. That happens twice in the run. Just before that movement you actually have a C# in both cases. The timing is a little different on those two, obviously, but the movement between notes is the same smile.gif

This part is also in the key of B minor, which helps guide my memory and fingers smile.gif Rest of the song is not in B minor of course. I think the song starts in B major, if I recall correctly, but this specific section is in B minor.

Just some helping "anchor points" I almost subconsciously think about.

This post has been edited by Storm Linnebjerg: Aug 7 2022, 11:12 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 9 2022, 12:01 AM
EDIT: PHIL!!!!

Can you show us quickie cell phone video of your legato of just a bit of the fast run section? It's always helpful if folks can see where you are as we speak?

UPDATE: Did this bit make any sense for yoU?

Well said smile.gif When I was first learning these types of of licks, I would focus on the rythm of the lick more than the actual notes to find where the "anchors" were and try to make sure I hit the anchor note in correct timing. I found that if I could hit the anchor notes in proper time, it became a simple matter of adding other notes in. This is a very simplified paraphrase of something along the lines of what Ben is saying, I think smile.gif

Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 10 2022, 02:02 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 10 2022, 11:03 AM
Thanks Ben & Todd,

Only picked up guitar again last night since blister on pinky. Didn't get much time though had to do a little emergency maintenance on wife's car.

I progressed more in half hour last night that I have since I started. It's still awful but I'm remembering it better now. Only difference is, I'm picking every note. Zero legato but for now it's helping me progress and that's the main thing. This always seems to work for me for some reason.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 10 2022, 01:18 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 10 2022, 12:03 PM) *
Thanks Ben & Todd,

Only picked up guitar again last night since blister on pinky. Didn't get much time though had to do a little emergency maintenance on wife's car.

I progressed more in half hour last night that I have since I started. It's still awful but I'm remembering it better now. Only difference is, I'm picking every note. Zero legato but for now it's helping me progress and that's the main thing. This always seems to work for me for some reason.

Cheers

What seems to be the difference for you between picking and playing it with legato? Just curious smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 10 2022, 01:35 PM
QUOTE (Storm Linnebjerg @ Aug 10 2022, 01:18 PM) *
What seems to be the difference for you between picking and playing it with legato? Just curious smile.gif

It's not so much the playing of it that's different, I don't think I'll be picking it at full speed if I ever get anywhere near, I can play it legato but I have to keep stopping to look at the tab.

The main thing is I was struggling to remember the note sequence when trying to fit the legato in too, as soon as I started picking everything (except the note after the 6\4 slide) I remembered the sequence in about ten minutes.

It might be strange but then again so is my head wacko.gif blink.gif wacko.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 04:54 AM