New Gear Suggestions, and a shout out
-Zion-
Oct 27 2009, 09:23 PM
Learning Roadie
So, as some of you know, i just had a birthday.

I got this gift certificate for one of the local guitar (music) shops. It's roughly $200 and i have no idea what to get..
I didn't expect this and usually when i'm in the need of something i get it.. now i am having trouble finding something..

any thoughts??

SHOUT OUT:
So, a couple of months ago I stumpled over some "cheap" strings.. these are Ernie Balls (2221 i believe) strings.. looking around on my usual online guitar shopping sites, it was a pretty good deal.. 4 sets for about $40 dollars.. thats pretty okay here in europe..

So now that the us dollar has fallen a bit i start to look around the US guitar sites, and i stumple upon a great deal at guitar center.. buy a 10 pack of Ernie Balls strings and get 2 sets for free.. for $40 dollars.. 12 SETS FOR $40??? OMG, this cannot be right?

unfortunately GC doesn't ship to europe so I think to myself that this deal isn't for me.. I keep browsing around and find the exact same deal on practically EVERY US guitar site.. OMG.. can it really be true that us europeans are paying upwards of 3 or 4 times as much for strings as they do in the US.. turnes out.. YES, we do..

I ordered a bunch of strings including some triple 18w string packs (that i have yet to find on european guitar sites), and even though you risk that your package might get customs + taxes on top of the pricetag, it's STILL a LOT cheaper than buying them here in europe.. i cannot believe it.. (btw.. my package was not taken by customs, so hurray for me.. laugh.gif)

anyways.. why is there such a big big difference in pricing?

edit: I should start myself a guitar import shop.. seems like there's a lot of money to be made here..
Like my Gibson Les Paul.. Overhere it's currently priced @ 5-6000 dollars, and i got it from the US for 2500 dollar.. man.. i can get rich by importing goods.. ohmy.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by -Zion-: Oct 27 2009, 09:27 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 27 2009, 09:43 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Well, if you don't need anything now, save it and use it later when you really have a serious case of GAS smile.gif wink.gif

As for strings I don't use anything but elixirs ever since I tried them a year ago. I love them. Regular strings only lasted me a week before getting all black, these ones are shiny from day one to day 100 laugh.gif, I change them every 3 months or so smile.gif smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 27 2009, 10:58 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Look at Britain for good currency change, the Pound is at historic lows while the US Dollar actually isn't wink.gif

QUOTE (-Zion- @ Oct 27 2009, 10:23 PM) *
anyways.. why is there such a big big difference in pricing?

Different political and economical environments between countries. That's the short answer biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 28 2009, 01:38 PM
Instructor
It's overpriced of course. There are also some other important things I can say about this, regarding my own country (perhaps it is similar in some other countries in the region):

- The music shops (on top of the expenses they pay for the goods to arrive here) have their own profit margins, so they will put even greater price.
- Music shops will tend to order and buy large quantities of low cost equipment. They don't earn at all with hi priced models and they are mostly "loosing" money in the shop's corners as show pieces. Rarely will a professional player or a rich young player come into the store and buy Reissue amp or guitar. The vast majority of buyers are young players that need their first or second axe, so this is where the choice is the biggest.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 31 2009, 02:49 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I have been buying bass strings in US for quite some time now. On bass strings which are more expensive the price difference is just huge! smile.gif Generally stores import goods like that from US so they do include shipping costs, import duties etc. Now the stores (at least here) profit mostly on accessories (strings,picks,cables,straps etc) so they tend to overprice those goods a lot in order to make profit.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:06 PM