Getting Stuck On Something Hard...sleeping Is The Solution :p?
Nocebo
Apr 27 2008, 11:13 PM
GMC:er
Sometimes when you try to learn something a bit harder than you might currently capable of, you get "stuck". It doesn't matter how much you try to bash it in to your skull, it even gets worse and soon you're too frustrated to even be close to nailing that tricky part. Then the next day, after a good nights sleep you nail it like you've done nothing else then to play that part for an entire lifetime. laugh.gif

Has anyone experienced this besides me? smile.gif It's freakishly scary when it happens but of course you become really happy. Happened a dozen times or so for me at least.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Apr 27 2008, 11:16 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
yea occasionally its happened to me also, just gives your brain a chance to rest, sometimes I get annoyed that I know its something I can play but I keep messing it up and the harder you try to nail it the worse it becomes, a decent nights sleep usually does the trick smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Canis
Apr 27 2008, 11:21 PM
Learning Rock Star
Worked for me on Marcus' Pentatonic Solo lesson =)

--------------------

+Quote Post
rokchik
Apr 27 2008, 11:25 PM
The Dark Canuck
Yep this has worked for me also.

I also tend to practice later at night, closer to when I usually go to bed. I tend to retain things better this way.

rok

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Apr 27 2008, 11:27 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (rokchik @ Apr 27 2008, 11:25 PM) *
I also tend to practice later at night, closer to when I usually go to bed. I tend to retain things better this way.

Yea me too, although it sometimes it means I cant get to sleep coz it`s whizzing around in my head laugh.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
rokchik
Apr 27 2008, 11:42 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Smells @ Apr 27 2008, 07:27 PM) *
Yea me too, although it sometimes it means I cant get to sleep coz it`s whizzing around in my head laugh.gif

Yes this can be a pitfall, that or your so focused on practice that you don't realize it's 4 in the morning and you have to be at work at 7 tongue.gif

All worth it though in my books wink.gif

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Apr 27 2008, 11:45 PM
Get to da Chopper!
This thread may interest you wink.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...t=0&start=0

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 28 2008, 12:34 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Good night sleep after a hard practice will often enable you to play better the same thing next day..Happened to me a lot of times smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Apr 28 2008, 12:38 PM
This definitely helps with many things. If you can't do something then give it a break or sleep on it and you will be refreshed when trying again and more likely to succeed. I have the ability to fall asleep within 2 minutes due to being able to empty my head of all thought.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Robin
Apr 28 2008, 02:11 PM
QUOTE (Nocebo @ Apr 27 2008, 10:13 PM) *
Has anyone experienced this besides me? smile.gif

all the time.

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Apr 28 2008, 02:21 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Nocebo @ Apr 28 2008, 12:13 AM) *
Has anyone experienced this besides me? smile.gif

Same here, happens to me all the time.

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 28 2008, 03:17 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Apr 28 2008, 01:38 PM) *
This definitely helps with many things. If you can't do something then give it a break or sleep on it and you will be refreshed when trying again and more likely to succeed. I have the ability to fall asleep within 2 minutes due to being able to empty my head of all thought.

Wow thats a cool skill ! (falling asleap fast) ...I wish I knew how to do it! ...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Fran
Apr 28 2008, 03:19 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
That's so true, and not only for guitar!, it's funny how many times all our brain is a bit of rest and "disconnect", and when you go back to it... BooOMmmM, the solution was there in front of your eyes and now you see it clear!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Apr 28 2008, 03:21 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Apr 28 2008, 03:17 PM) *
Wow thats a cool skill ! (falling asleap fast) ...I wish I knew how to do it! ...

All my friends want to kill me because of it lol. It takes them hours to fall asleep but if they leave the room I'm sleeping in and came back after 5 minutes I'd be well away biggrin.gif I also have vivid dreams also and I think it is because of m,e being able to empty my mind and it seems to give you more memorable dreams and ones that could so easily be real.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
stratman33
Apr 28 2008, 09:05 PM
Yes, this has happened to me before to

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Apr 29 2008, 08:35 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
This happened to me many times already wink.gif If you focus on something just too much, and you can't get it on tape, you just get worse at some point, you are not calm and relaxed anymore, and the more you try the worse it will get, so yes, a nap might be the solution laugh.gif

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:47 PM