Pick Vs Fingers
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 27 2013, 03:26 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
As a bass player who plays 90% of the time fingerstyle, I'm interested to know what you think about these two picking approaches? Fingerstyle technique for me feels very natural but using pick has its benefits both technically and in sound.

How important fingerstyle playing vs using the pick is to you?
Do you practice fingerstyle approach?

I have noticed that this is a skill that sometimes gets overlooked by guitarists and when time comes for some fingerstyle or even picked "arpeggio styles" parts - they have trouble (in getting good attack, timing, picking patterns definitions...).

What is your approach?
Which of the two you find easier?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
brwnhornet59
Mar 27 2013, 05:11 PM
GMC:er
I prefer hearing a bass being played with fingers. As for guitar I use both techniques as well as hybrid picking and grabbing with M, R and pinkie, depending on what I am playing etc...When soloing I can play faster with a pick, but that is rarely my goal. The quality of sound and overall timbre that I desire, more often than not dictates my approach...The more one can utilize the tools at hand (no pun intended), the better one can express the ideas in their head without being limited or bogged down by technique, IMHO.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ulrik
Mar 27 2013, 06:01 PM
Learning Rock Star
Not playing as much bass as I want to now. When I played bass in a band I only used fingerpicking.
I rarely use a pick with acoustic guitar but always with the electric.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 27 2013, 07:11 PM
Instructor
Talking about bass guitar, I like both since you get two totally different sounds. I like picked bass for punk rock and industrial styles when you want to get a wall of notes. This technique has more attack and presence. I like finger bass for more funky styles like the lines composed by Flea for RHCP.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 28 2013, 10:23 AM
Instructor
I enjoy hearing both, in the right contexts, as Gabe very well pointed out. In Days of Confusion for instance, our bass player uses a pick in 95% of the situations, because this is the nature of the songs and the pick sound complements the whole sonic environment created. There are some parts where some finger picked bass lines occur, especially those in the higher registers smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 29 2013, 10:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 28 2013, 06:23 AM) *
I enjoy hearing both, in the right contexts, as Gabe very well pointed out. In Days of Confusion for instance, our bass player uses a pick in 95% of the situations, because this is the nature of the songs and the pick sound complements the whole sonic environment created. There are some parts where some finger picked bass lines occur, especially those in the higher registers smile.gif

In Cirse, my brother uses pick in 2 or 3 songs... I always try to convince him to use more pick but you know, he is from the Steve Harris + Flea school, he loves using fingers. biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 30 2013, 02:47 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 29 2013, 09:14 PM) *
In Cirse, my brother uses pick in 2 or 3 songs... I always try to convince him to use more pick but you know, he is from the Steve Harris + Flea school, he loves using fingers. biggrin.gif

Well, yeah, but if the context asks for it, maybe you can convince him to use the pick biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:23 PM