Jazz Vs Classical Instruction / Guitar Vs Piano
ruben_mcn
Oct 2 2010, 06:37 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey Guy,
This fall I´m enrolling at a Music school but i have to decide a couple of things and I would like to hear you tougths..
So i have the option of Studyn Classical style or Jazz Style.. ( Do you think that you can learn the same from either one or is their one that will give me better theory knowledge ?? So far the only advantage
I can see it that on the jazz you learn a lot of improvisation ) and there is a little thing that I'm afraid on classical course cause i have a lot of friends that play/ learn classical music and music theory for long time but they can only play what is on the notation sheet... they can´t improvise or anything like that blink.gif and i really what to take this course so that i can be more creative w/ the knowledge I will Get from it ... and not the oposite... unsure.gif
And I also must choose between Guitar and Piano ( Well I really want to learn Piano cause it sounds soo sweet and mellow smile.gif ) but I would also like to boost my Guitar skills a lot and I´m afraid that if i choose piano the guitar will slowly fade away in my life ...
Do you guys think that if i choose to take the course w/ the piano i can transfer what I learn to the guitar on my own unsure.gif ???

Oh and another thing w/ what i will learn if i choose piano in the jazz course will i be able to sight read classical stuff unsure.gif ??

Thanks In advance
................................................................................
................................................................................

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by ruben_mcn: Oct 3 2010, 12:09 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 16)
Fre
Oct 2 2010, 06:56 PM
Learning Rock Star
Interesting thread. I'm really curious about the answers too!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
thefireball
Oct 2 2010, 07:15 PM
Learning Roadie
Interesting....

Well, I think it depends on your direction you want to take. You can use musical skills from piano to transfer to guitar. I personally used to play piano all the time. It started to fade away since I've been playing guitar. But that doesn't mean I don't like the piano. (I need to get playing on it once again, though). If you think that jazz will help you in improvisation more than in classical, I'd say go for it. But you can still improvise in classical music, even if you decided to go for classical.

Whatever you set your mind to do, you can do it. Just remember, your interests change sometimes, so just do what you enjoy. Don't worry if you become disinterested in something. Those are just my humble thoughts. happy.gif

Good luck in all that you do! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Frederik
Oct 2 2010, 07:50 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
if you like fingerpicking, classical guitars and sheet music go for classical wink.gif i would do so, antoine dufour did so wink.gif
jazz would also be cool if you like electric guitars, improvising, and the sound of jazz phrasing

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Oct 2 2010, 07:54 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks For the advice Fredrik.. I actually like finger style its really cool .. So in the jazz i would not learn how to work W/ sheet musics as well as i would in classical ?

This post has been edited by ruben_mcn: Oct 2 2010, 07:59 PM

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 2 2010, 08:23 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
It's music man, you must study what your heart tells you, what makes you feel.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Oct 2 2010, 08:40 PM
Learning Roadie
That is also hard for me :S if i choose guitar i will most defenetly go for Jazz.. But W/ the Piano I Love Both classical and jazz ( i like jazz a little more) .. but has i stated erlier i bealive that i f learn Classical I will probably be able to get to some jazz music but I'm not sure that if i study jazz I will be able to sigth read calssical music ..
So i basucly want to choose the one that can Give me more to learn

This post has been edited by ruben_mcn: Oct 2 2010, 08:43 PM

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 2 2010, 09:13 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
This is really up to you to choose. Generally both courses will give you lots of knowledge. I'm sure you will learn to sight read music in both so that wouldn't be my concern. If you like to perform classical music go for it. If I had to choose I would go for jazz as it seem much more fun to play and lots to learn about improvisation.

Regarding guitar vs piano - see which instrument you want to be the primary one. I don't know which skills you have on piano but if you're better on guitar then I would say go for guitar. Its much better to be proficient at one instrument then medium on several.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Oct 2 2010, 10:05 PM
Learning Roadie
Well currently I have no skills at piano .. but I would like to be really good at it smile.gif I love to see pianists play clasical stuff it was so much heart smile.gif ( but i what to learn the jazz theory due to the improvasation part.. ) so if w/ jazz the sight reading skills that i will adquire also allow me to play classical stuff I will probably go for the jazz course...
But I would not choose beteewn neiher one of the instruments for a primary one i would try to be equaly good at both..

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Oct 3 2010, 11:38 AM
Learning Roadie
Doesn't anybody have more tougths on classical vs Jazz instruction unsure.gif ??

This post has been edited by ruben_mcn: Oct 3 2010, 11:44 AM

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Oct 3 2010, 12:36 PM
Jazz Instructor
Classical is better if you want to go in "heavy/rock direction" while jazz is more useful for pop music and such.

+Quote Post
Frederik
Oct 3 2010, 12:44 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
i think you should be prepared for some theory on jazz, while classical would require more practice on the instrument.

+Quote Post
Artemus
Oct 4 2010, 04:46 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
As Frederik above put it simply, jazz means applied theory whilst classical would be technique focused. There are of course cross-overs, but I reckon that would be it in a nutshell. Personally, I'd suggest that the classical option would be wise if your heart and soul is in it - uncovering the beauty and insurmountable genius of centuries of music and honing your technique to bring a personal interpretation of what the music means to you. Jazz on the other can be daunting at first but lots of fun, and if you're looking to get the creative juices flowing it would be invaluable to have a solid knowledge of jazz theory and to be able to apply it. It would also be more transferable between instruments. However, both options would be equally rewarding.
As everyone else has already echoed, it is entirely your choice and really, you're the only one that can choose. So, when you wake up in the morning - what's the first thing you're wanting to do musically? That should help you know what you really want..

EDIT: I'd also add, from experience, that classical study at an advanced level demands very good sight reading skills. Although you may be intensively studying 2-3 pieces for 6-12 months, you should expect to learn a new piece (sight-read) every day.

This post has been edited by Artemus: Oct 4 2010, 04:51 PM

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Oct 5 2010, 01:27 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks Guys For all the help smile.gif Deep In my heart I what to study Classical music but I will have to stay w/ Jazz because the classical course is already full...

+Quote Post
Artemus
Oct 5 2010, 02:05 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
That's a shame, but there's nothing to stop you studying classical in your own time smile.gif

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Oct 6 2010, 12:14 PM
Learning Roadie
Yeah I know I just hope that jazz theory will give me good enouth sigth reading skils for classical music .. anyway I'm going for the Jazz Piano ( and I will aplly the thoery knowledge i learn to the guitar on my own and w/ gmc's help tongue.gif ) but befor i start lessons I will buy a digital piano can anybody find what was the original price of an yamaha p 60 ??? ( i can't seem to find it on music store sites so it must be discontinued or something like that :S ) cause i found one in secund hand for 350 euro and I was wondering if it was a good deal...

+Quote Post
Thrasymachus
Oct 22 2010, 03:02 PM
GMC:er
I think your sight-reading skills depends primarily on how much you practice and not as much on which course your on. Im sure you will learn suficiently on the jazz course to work up your sight reading skills on your own.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:56 AM