Bending And Vibrato, Quick Licks #8 (Bending and Vibrato)
Todd Simpson
Dec 31 2017, 04:15 AM
GMC:er
BENDING AND VIBRATO

INTRO:

This lick is an is based on a very old blues lick. It's been part of "Rock" guitar since rock guitar became a thing. It's a very basic lick that can be the basis of an entire solo. It's also a great starting off point for a solo as it calls attention to itself to lets folks know that the guitar solo has begun smile.gif There are wads of ways to play this lick so it's very versatile. If it's not part of your bag of tricks, it should be and by the end of this it will be!!! If you are familiar with it, then make it your own and add your own flair to it. I'll include the backing track that I"m playing with as well for you to jam over.

Here is the tablature. This lick doesn't have that many notes so the tab is pretty simple. It's what you do with this lick that makes it special. This is just a starting point.

Attached Image

Attached File  8.gp5 ( 1.56K ) Number of downloads: 102

BACKGROUND / COMMENTS
This lick is connected to the BRIT SABBATH COLLAB by our own GABRIEL LEOPARDI! Here is the link the collab

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...=58700&st=0

*Here is the Backing Track for you to download
Attached File  sabbathbacking.mp3 ( 2.38MB ) Number of downloads: 107

*Here is the Backing Track without Guitars
Attached File  Sabbatth_no_guitars.mp3 ( 2.38MB ) Number of downloads: 122

Attached Image

BTW:
This is just a starting point, feel free to add your own flourish during your vid. Add any techniques you lick on top of this to make it your own smile.gif

BONUS: Here is the OVERLOUD TH3 patch I'm using in this solo in case you want to try it out smile.gif Still my fave guitar plugin. Enjoy!!
Attached File  sabbathTH2.xml.zip ( 2.38K ) Number of downloads: 132

GIVE EM HELL!

Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 31 2017, 04:19 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 1 2018, 01:53 PM
Learning Rock Star
Here's a quickfire shot at it smile.gif I even tried putting some vibrato into the double stop bend things. Gave it a bit of a twist of my own smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Jan 1 2018, 05:10 PM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 1 2018, 06:22 PM
Perfect! This is what I'm looking for. Notice how he took the lick and made it his own thing by adding his own bits. This is aVERY handy lick to use in solos so it's worth knowing about. You can lead in with it, or end with it, or use it in the middle as connective tissue. It's worth keeping in your bag of tricks!

BEN is making it look way easy!! It's not a hard lick so don't be intimidated by it and you can interpret it any way you like. Well done BEN you freaking KILLED IT!!!!!

In other words you just ...

LEVELED UP!!!....

Attached Image

[indent][/indent]
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 1 2018, 08:53 AM) *
Here's a quickfire shot at it smile.gif I even tried putting some vibrato into the double stop bend things. Gave it a bit of a twist of my own smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 1 2018, 06:23 PM

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jan 1 2018, 09:45 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
This is a bit more my style smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 2 2018, 02:36 AM
Look at that smooth playing!! NICE!! I can see that you are a bit more comfy with this smile.gif You have a very confident and musical approach on this one. Your playing is very natural and and musical. Your technique is solid from every angle and you take the lick idea and move it around to other strings as well. You clearly have a good grasp of this lick!!! I'm planning for more of this type in the future. Well done! in other words you just...

LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Jan 1 2018, 04:45 PM) *
This is a bit more my style smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 2 2018, 10:10 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Ok Todd, couldn't resist having a noodle with this bunch of notes. Nice one. I like the fact that you've given us a bunch of notes, shown us one way of using them and let us create something along those lines. I hope I've don't that without breaking too far out.

I think this piece was inspired by the bagpiper that we had playing for twenty minutes, it was stirring and had an impact on me, I actually wanted to get some bagpipes. Maybe Kris could create www.bagpipemasterclass.net wink.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsoNxGoVqt8

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 2 2018, 10:55 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 4 2018, 02:18 AM
I knew we would get it smoothed out at some point! Glad you dig it smile.gif I think I'm going to try to keep open like this. Seems to work! Let's review! I like your chops here! You've got a really good handle on the lick and I think you are more than ready to put this to good use in a solo/backing/song etc. That's where the rubber really meets the road. Next time you record a solo of any kind, put this lick in and listen back to see what you think! You dig a great job on this one. Good technique, timing, hands talking to eachother, nice! In other words you just..

LEVELED UP!!!!!

Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 2 2018, 05:10 PM) *
Ok Todd, couldn't resist having a noodle with this bunch of notes. Nice one. I like the fact that you've given us a bunch of notes, shown us one way of using them and let us create something along those lines. I hope I've don't that without breaking too far out.

I think this piece was inspired by the bagpiper that we had playing for twenty minutes, it was stirring and had an impact on me, I actually wanted to get some bagpipes. Maybe Kris could create www.bagpipemasterclass.net wink.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsoNxGoVqt8

+Quote Post
George Hlio
Mar 12 2018, 12:15 AM
Experienced Rock Star
I freestyled Sarge trying multiple fingerings!
My take!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 12 2018, 03:45 AM
Another lick up at the 12th fret where string tension comes in to play. If you are using 10 gauge strings I'd say try 9 gauge, if you are using 9 gauge, try 8 gauge. It makes bends much easier, especially as you are getting used to them. You have the mechanics of this lick down. Now you can work on the vibrato and subtlety. This lick is used in millions of solos, it's a great way in or out of a guitar solo. Keep it in your bag of tricks that you regularly use and try it in a solo ASAP!!! For now you just..

LEVELED UP!!!!!

Attached Image
Todd

QUOTE (George Hlio @ Mar 11 2018, 07:15 PM) *
I freestyled Sarge trying multiple fingerings!
My take!

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Aug 8 2018, 12:51 PM
Learning Roadie
lick 8

This post has been edited by onetabmat: Aug 8 2018, 12:51 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 8 2018, 10:02 PM
Nice!! You've got this nailed. You have a very nice bend in there and make it to pitch each time. Very good control over the bended string and a very fine sense of vibrato at the end of the lick which is exactly what I wanted to see. This is a classic rock lick that can be used as an intro or outro in nearly any solo you feel it fits in to. This lick always works well in the context of a solo and that's what makes it such a handy thing to have on one's bag of tricks!! It's one of the core licks that every player should know and know well. It looks like you are already familiar with it, or you have just quickly mastered it. Either way well done!! You just...
LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image
Todd
QUOTE (onetabmat @ Aug 8 2018, 07:51 AM) *
lick 8

+Quote Post
Adam
Sep 16 2019, 12:10 AM
Learning Roadie

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 16 2019, 06:08 AM
That's it!!! It's a simple lick, but it's an important one. This lick is in nearly every rock solo every written. It's a great way to lead in to a solo and a great way to end a solo so it it a great lick to know. You ended with one finger vibrato which is ok, but I'd say use two for more control. You just..
LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

Todd
QUOTE (Adam @ Sep 15 2019, 07:10 PM) *

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:27 PM