Gripmaster
SonofDestiny
Jul 2 2008, 04:26 PM
GMC:er
Which one should I get?

http://www.prohands.net/products/gripmaster.php

Would be a shame if I bought one of these and my fingers couldn't take it tongue.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Wishlist: the world.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Tolek
Jul 2 2008, 04:35 PM
Learning Rock Star
I´d say you should take "7 LB MEDIUM - Recommended for the average man's hand. And why? Because it´s for the average man. tongue.gif 9 LB is for the soldiers, climbers or martial arts athletes. I don´t think that playing the guitar is as heavy as their job. tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Jul 2 2008, 04:51 PM
Hahaha allright I'll go for that one then biggrin.gif thanks!

You reckon my pinky will also be able to do that exercise? (Cause I have a feeling it's really weak)

--------------------

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Jul 2 2008, 05:05 PM
guitar player magazine did a review on these and came to the conclusion that they were not good for your hands.

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 2 2008, 05:10 PM
QUOTE (USAMAN @ Jul 2 2008, 11:05 AM) *
guitar player magazine did a review on these and came to the conclusion that they were not good for your hands.

I got one and came to the conclusion that it was useless. I suspected it might not be good for you hands. and I see that that may well be the case, actually worse than useless.

+Quote Post
Fran
Jul 2 2008, 05:13 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I've got the red one, and although it's ok for general hand work, I believe it's a bit too strong to train guitar, maybe the yellow one (I think it's the yellow one) is a bit softer and might be better for heavy repetitions.

BUT, betgter than gripmaster is the Shredneck!, if you are looking for a guitar practice tool, shredneck all the way, gripmaster doesn't even come close, I made a wiki about it, you can read it here:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/index.php/Shredneck

Good luck whatever you choose wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Jul 2 2008, 05:26 PM
Hehe that thing looks awesome! biggrin.gif

I've been having problems with my pinky. I don't know what it's called over there, but here they call it a golfarm (like the sport golf wink.gif). My physiotherapist told me to get a gripmaster to exercise. So that's why I'm asking smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Jul 2 2008, 05:31 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
I'm with Fran on that, if You wanna practice without the guitar, than buy a shredneck, because all the other stuff isn't designed for improving Your fingers so they could play the guitar better, but for improving their strength/durability. And that can be bad for Your playing in some cases. Sometimes improving strength and endurance can make You slower, and less "agile". All in all I think these items aren't to good, unless You had some kind of an accident and have/had some hand health problems.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Jul 2 2008, 05:35 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
If it's for your pinky don't get teh RED gripmaster! It's quite strong for the pinky, unless you have really strong hands, specially if you have had problems with the pinky.

Get a softer one, or try them at the shop if you can, so you can see which one suits you best.

I still think shredneck is better tongue.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Jul 2 2008, 06:36 PM
Instructor
I have one of those, they are completely useless for guitar, for playing guitar you don´t need that much strenght when pressing, thay wont do you any good and you can harm yourself if you use them in a bad way

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 2 2008, 06:54 PM
QUOTE (Gerardo Siere @ Jul 2 2008, 12:36 PM) *
I have one of those, they are completely useless for guitar, for playing guitar you don´t need that much strenght when pressing, thay wont do you any good and you can harm yourself if you use them in a bad way

Not as experienced as you are Gerardo, but this seemed pretty obvious to me.

I will sometimes do some repetitive tapping and/or hammering. you forearms feel that after awhile, makes them stronger, but at the same time, you are improving dexterity. I think that is the ticket.

In fact, I will be happy to mail my red gripmaster to someone, if they send me a self addressed postal envelope to hold it with necessary postage on it. if anyone wants it, let me know by message, that way you can verify it is useless without spending a lot, if you still have doubts.

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Jul 2 2008, 08:13 PM
I have one! dry.gif

And I don't use it - because if I did, I know it would throw my finger muscle memory out the window.
That's what happens if you train your muscles stronger: you have to reinforce muscle memory because kinetics have changed..

Stamina, on the other hand..

Yeah.
I think it's time to throw that Gripmaster away (or give it to one of my climbing friends) and go get a Shredneck. smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jul 2 2008, 09:09 PM
I have the red gripmaster, i agree with most reviews. its absolutly useless for training your guitar hand.. if your pressing that hard on the strings then you are putting much to much effort into it.. and if your strings require you to push that hard check the action on your neck. I used it for a while and didn't get any guitar help from it. I use mine still a bit but not for individual fingers i use it as a whole hand exersize its the same exersize as one of those nut crackers with a spring in the middle( i don't know what the actual exersize device is called). good for working your forearm and inproving grip but as for finger strength it does nothing.. also remember you have no musles in your hands so if you wanna work on your fingering just do forearm exersizes. last peice of advice.. best way to strengthen your arm.. just play more guitar biggrin.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Jul 2 2008, 09:32 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (Fran @ Jul 2 2008, 05:35 PM) *
If it's for your pinky don't get teh RED gripmaster! It's quite strong for the pinky, unless you have really strong hands, specially if you have had problems with the pinky.

Get a softer one, or try them at the shop if you can, so you can see which one suits you best.

I still think shredneck is better tongue.gif

I agree 100% I have the red one- its too strong for pinky training (especially for training a feeble pinky)

Haven't used a shredneck yet though..

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 2 2008, 09:42 PM
I think Kris just lost all hope of advertising revenue, or sponsorship here from Gripmaster Inc.

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Jul 2 2008, 09:51 PM
Well, Muris is endorsing Shredneck (AFAIK). smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 2 2008, 10:23 PM
QUOTE (jacmoe @ Jul 2 2008, 03:51 PM) *
Well, Muris is endorsing Shredneck (AFAIK). smile.gif

I'll pass on that one to.

I looked at that site. Honestly, can I say Phallic symbol on this site? I think that is the appeal there, subliminally marketed in that fashion. Look at that site, and you tell me that they are not doing that. Guys don't realize why they want this, but the marketing folks know what is going on.

If anyone does not know the definition, here is wikipedia. WARNING.....if you are are offended by someone in San Francisco in a parade in a costume of you know what, don't look here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phallus

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 2 2008, 11:13 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jul 2 2008, 08:42 PM) *
I think Kris just lost all hope of advertising revenue, or sponsorship here from Gripmaster Inc.

laugh.gif - but GMC will probably recoup the loss from Ibanez for Jem endorsements rolleyes.gif .

QUOTE (fkalich @ Jul 2 2008, 09:23 PM) *
can I say Phallic symbol on this site?

If anyone does not know the definition, here is wikipedia. WARNING.....if you are are offended by someone in San Francisco in a parade in a costume of you know what, don't look here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phallus

Phallic symbol is a technical term and isn't swearing so I'm cool with your use smile.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

Pretty weak explication of phallic symbol, Lacan and Butler on that wiki link though and not exactly correct either rolleyes.gif.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Raw
Jul 3 2008, 01:21 AM
I once both the red one and used it over some time, the improvement is amazing! Of course, if you play guitar much you dont really need a GM so bad, but it's great for warm-ups and getting quickly in shape for example after and accident. I bought the red one and used it for some weeks and eventually found it a bit easy and bought a black one, the different isent that big I think and I actually wished they had a even heavier one. But by all means: I got gorilla-hands with and impressivly long pinky cool.gif (can hold the pinky down on the black for 45 sec, without that making me any better on guitar mad.gif ) so maybe blue or yellow is a better starter for people without gorilla-hands wink.gif

+Quote Post
FrankW
Jul 3 2008, 01:48 AM
I have a blue Gripmaster. Unless you are going to be spending alot of time away from the guitar, they really aren't good substitutes. To increase your weak side strength, that being your third and fourth fingers, practice hammer-ons. There's no substitute for the real thing.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:56 AM