> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Take 2: Open String Pull-Off Riff, Lesson By Chris Shofner
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
8 [ 4 ] ** [100.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 4

Manu RASSE
Mar 12 2022, 05:35 PM
Veteran Tone Master
Original lesson: Open String Pull-Off Riff by Chris Shofner

Hi GMC,

The comparison will be difficult because I deleted the 1st REC on my youtube channel.
You have to think about this : why did he do that?
To be honnest : I'm a sensitive person and I didn't accept defeat.
However, I read your comments and tried to correct a few details.
It is difficult because this lesson has been ingrained in my muscle memory for a very long time.

There are flaws, a lack of precision. It's sometimes jerky but I'm not able to do better.
I thought it would get easier with time and practice, but the further in time I go, the harder it gets.
My forearm pain is not helping me. I hope the summer will be kinder to my rheumatism.

<div class="youtube-embed"></div>

Links to previous attempts at this lesson:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=62537

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by MisterM: Mar 12 2022, 05:36 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Mar 12 2022, 07:17 PM
Learning Tone Master
Hi Manu! Don't worry because you deleted your first REC take. Do anything that makes you feel better. We all understand these kind of things. smile.gif

You are an awesome player and you should be very aware of that. Just try to be a little more relaxed when it's about the REC and grades and don't take our feedback as an attack. We understand that you are more sensitive than other students, don't worry about it. wink.gif

Now a few things about your take.

Your hybrid picking is too mellow. You still need work a little more to achieve that chicken picking sound which is required for this style.

This time you rushed some parts/notes. You probably played this lesson so many times that you lost a little the patience to take care of details.

0:30 - be careful when you have this kind of pause to mute the strings, as Chris did in the lesson.

Today you get an 8 from me. As advice, try when you study a lesson to spend some time analyzing the tiny details. Paying attention to all these little things will improve your overall performance. You can do it!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 12 2022, 08:55 PM
GMC:er
The open string serves as a sort of pedal point and at 21 seconds in, It seems like there could be a bit more staccato delivery so as to allow each note, including the open string, to stand out a bit more. Otherwise, they sort of blur together and you don't get the pedal point effect. Try to mute just a bit stronger in sections like this so that notes don't get the chance to ring and bleed together. This is gonna be very tough at speed. It can be done though and it will sound amazing!

if you shift your picking hand closer to the bridge, you can get more bight and chicken pick tone going but this is also very tricky. This entirely REC is tricky and frankly I think it's beyond my ability so I"m truly impressed with your playing here and a Solid 8 from me!!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 12 2022, 10:12 PM
GMC Founder
Just like last time I have to emphasise how cool it is that you practice this lesson that's totally outside of your comfort zone. In one year, I predict you will say this is the lesson that had most impact on your style & direction - so VERY well done mate, keep at it!

If my memory serves me right you have vastly improved on both right hand snappiness and tone. So all though there are some quirks here and there - overall this is pretty darn good.

Your tone has juicy breakup / distortion - but it somewhat shadows the backing track. I think with a proper mix you would have totally blown us away here.

Still this sounds really cool - you get an 8 from me!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 14 2022, 09:13 PM
Instructor
Hello MisterM! As always your hard work is very inspiring.

This lesson is very demanding, and even more so if you are not familiar with Chris Shofner's country style. I have been able to follow your progress in our mentoring thread and honestly your progress has been enormous.

Even taking into account that there are details to adjust regarding the cleanliness of some licks and riffs, I think you are playing with a very good tempo, and very accurately.

I think that the next step would be to try to emulate the details of dynamics and muted notes that Chris performs, to try to give him the feeling that the style requires, but you are already at a very good level. Maybe it's time to retake each riff separately, compare them to the original and adjust those little details.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Fran
Apr 29 2022, 08:19 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 8

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 09:11 AM