3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Kris & Marcus Ballad, Finished! :D
Marcus Lavendell
Nov 27 2007, 09:25 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 27 2007, 09:17 AM) *
By the way - have you considered switching "pan" sides of the three different rhythm guitars, so that the only thing that differentiates the guitars in verse1 from verse2 is the paning? Again I guess it wouldn't change much but perhaps fool the ear a little? blink.gif

Wow, that's a cool trick Kris. I've never thought of it! smile.gif But I'll definitely do that from now on! Thanks! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
steve25
Nov 27 2007, 04:07 PM
GMC:er
Ah ok cool. One thing what is a lo cut filter? What use is a compressor to you isn't that making the quiet sounds louder?

Does your interface make a difference to the sound quality? If you went guitar > POD > computer for recording would it make a difference to the sound that you're recording. Also one time i remember you saying you were able to take my recording and put it through your POD sound how is that possible if it's already recorded?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Nov 27 2007, 06:16 PM
Instructor
A low-cut filter is an equalizer that is set to "cut away" the low frequencies. For guitar I usually set it around 100 Hz, depending on my tone.

The reason for this is that we don't want the low frequencies from the guitar to interfere with other instruments that need those low frequencies (such as bass, or bass drum). Otherwise we would have problems with the phase (which we don't want).
Some people call this a "high-pass filter" but it's the exact same thing as low-cut. Just a different word for it.

A compressor makes it all sound louder, but it also helps the instruments to "fit in the mix" which is very important. My old teacher in sound engineering school used to say "learning to use a compressor is just as difficult as learning to play an instrument" smile.gif Maybe that's not entirely true, but it is very difficult in the beginning.
QUOTE (steve25 @ Nov 27 2007, 04:07 PM) *
If you went guitar > POD > computer for recording would it make a difference to the sound that you're recording.

Yes, if you put a microphone in front of your amp you'll also get the sound of the room. That don't have to be a bad thing, but most of the times it is. So I prefer to go: Guitar > POD > Computer.

QUOTE (steve25 @ Nov 27 2007, 04:07 PM) *
Also one time i remember you saying you were able to take my recording and put it through your POD sound how is that possible if it's already recorded?

I remember that! smile.gif It was a way for you to get the same tone when you didn't have a POD.

The idea was that you plug your guitar straight into your computer. No amp, No POD - just the clean signal from your guitar straight into the computer, and record. Then you could send that recording to me and I could run that file through my POD.

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
steve25
Nov 27 2007, 06:46 PM
I see what you mean about the filter now. How could you send a clean recorded sound through your POD? If you know how to do that then you could have 2 different amps going through which is what my solo sound is on the "you ready?" Collab (the second solo). That's my POD sound plus yours. Ah no what i mean is you have an interface even though the POD is one. You have an M-audio or something don't you. What i mean is you record using guitar > pod > interface > protools. Would it make a difference if you you didn't use your M-box?

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Nov 28 2007, 09:43 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (steve25 @ Nov 27 2007, 06:46 PM) *
You have an M-audio or something don't you. What i mean is you record using guitar > pod > interface > protools. Would it make a difference if you you didn't use your M-box?

Yes, exactly. I've got an interface called DIGI002. So I record: Guitar > PODxt > DIGI002 > ProTools.

If we didn't use the DIGI002, and went Guitar > PODxt > Computer input. Then the only difference would be the quality of the A/D converter (analogue to digital-converter). If you've got a bad sound card in your computer, then you might hear the difference. But I doubt it, because the sound cards these days are often pretty good.

QUOTE (steve25 @ Nov 27 2007, 06:46 PM) *
How could you send a clean recorded sound through your POD?

That’s very easy! smile.gif Just plug a cable from one of the outputs of the DIGI002 (interface) – to the input on the POD. (then plug the output on the POD to the input on the DIGI002, as usual)

This post has been edited by lavendell: Nov 28 2007, 09:43 AM

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
steve25
Nov 28 2007, 06:10 PM
Yeah i was thinking about getting a multitrack recorder, that i can record from there and then put onto my computer although i was hoping to be able to record my amp but apparently i won't be able to do that. I just can't seem to get a recording through my pod > pc well it's a bit annoying there's obviously something i'm doing wrong but i don't know what. Do you think that'd be a good idea or is there no point in doing that? By the way my pc is kidna old so maybe that's not so good

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Nov 28 2007, 09:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (steve25 @ Nov 28 2007, 06:10 PM) *
I just can't seem to get a recording through my pod > pc well it's a bit annoying there's obviously something i'm doing wrong but i don't know what.

Exactly what is it that don't work? Doesn't the signal from the POD show up in your recording software? Btw, what software do you use? How did you connect the cables? Just tell all the details and hopefully we can figure out what's wrong!

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
steve25
Nov 28 2007, 09:49 PM
Ok this is how i'm connecting: I'm plugging my guitar into the input of the PODxt, the PODxt is connected to the USB port of my computer which is connected by the USB part of the PODxt. I use the lead that came with it. From there it's recording straight into cubase.

I'm trying to get a sound as close to my PODxt > amp sound as i possibly can but here's the rub. Correct me if i'm wrong if you record just the one track no panning or anything just the one. although you won't get a nice fat sound it should still sound ok though right? It should still sound like you're guitar has gone through an amp just without the doubling or anything? Well it doesn't, it sounds pretty bad that you wouldn't really like to listen to it that's what i'm sort of getting. Now some patches will come out ok but others won't. yet the ones that won't will sound perfectly fine through my amp in fact they sound great. This is kind of hard to explain but hopefully you can understand. The thing is i can't really compare to anything or much because i don't have anything that i can record with except my computer microphone tongue.gif.

This post has been edited by steve25: Nov 28 2007, 09:50 PM

+Quote Post
Jeff
Nov 29 2007, 12:01 AM
QUOTE (lavendell @ Nov 28 2007, 03:43 AM) *
Yes, exactly. I've got an interface called DIGI002. So I record: Guitar > PODxt > DIGI002 > ProTools.

If we didn't use the DIGI002, and went Guitar > PODxt > Computer input. Then the only difference would be the quality of the A/D converter (analogue to digital-converter). If you've got a bad sound card in your computer, then you might hear the difference. But I doubt it, because the sound cards these days are often pretty good.

That's very easy! smile.gif Just plug a cable from one of the outputs of the DIGI002 (interface) – to the input on the POD. (then plug the output on the POD to the input on the DIGI002, as usual)
Hey Marcus. I'm using the DigiRack 03 and I was wondering about the PODxt. I haven't tried it w/Protools yet because I'm still diving into the manuals + DVD's of learning protools but I was wondering how you hooked it up. It looks like you go from the outs of the PODxt to the audio ins 1-2 on the Digi. Is that right? You bypass the USB all together?

+Quote Post
napsternova
Nov 29 2007, 03:57 AM
Very cool song. I think Kris sounds a bit like Alice Cooper but with more melody. You guys really put together a great song!

--------------------
--- Jump in with both feet and hopefully you don't land on your head---

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Nov 30 2007, 02:42 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jeff @ Nov 29 2007, 12:01 AM) *
It looks like you go from the outs of the PODxt to the audio ins 1-2 on the Digi. Is that right? You bypass the USB all together?

Hi Jeff,

That's right! I don't use the USB at all. Since I'm on a Mac, it's not possible to record over USB (atleast not last time I checked).
But if I could record over USB, I would do that (because then there's no need for the D/A to A/D conversion).

Btw, congrats on your ProTools system!!:D

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Nov 30 2007, 02:56 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (steve25 @ Nov 28 2007, 09:49 PM) *
Ok this is how i'm connecting: I'm plugging my guitar into the input of the PODxt, the PODxt is connected to the USB port of my computer which is connected by the USB part of the PODxt. I use the lead that came with it. From there it's recording straight into cubase.

This is the perfect setup (at least in theory)! However, I've got no experience with recording via USB, so I can't help you here. Sorry! sad.gif

QUOTE (steve25 @ Nov 28 2007, 09:49 PM) *
Now some patches will come out ok but others won't. yet the ones that won't will sound perfectly fine through my amp in fact they sound great. This is kind of hard to explain but hopefully you can understand. The thing is i can't really compare to anything or much because i don't have anything that i can record with except my computer microphone tongue.gif.

Maybe this is the same problem as in this thread ? That the POD is set to "amp" instead of "studio mode" ?

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
steve25
Nov 30 2007, 03:03 PM
QUOTE (lavendell @ Nov 30 2007, 03:56 PM) *
This is the perfect setup (at least in theory)! However, I've got no experience with recording via USB, so I can't help you here. Sorry! sad.gif
Maybe this is the same problem as in this thread ? That the POD is set to "amp" instead of "studio mode" ?

Marcus i found out yesterday what i was actually using was a live patch, not a studio patch. I didn't realise there was a difference. And so it was sounding good with my amp because that's what it was made on. I started playing around with it and it started to get better but i have a question about your patches. How do you know that they are going to sound good when you record and double them? I mean are there things you think about like for example not too much distortion or not too much treble or anything like that? Like your Collab patch sounds great in the recordings but obviously doesn't sound as good on its own. How do you know that it will be ok when you record with it?

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Nov 30 2007, 03:24 PM
Instructor
I'm glad you found the solution to the problem!! smile.gif

QUOTE (steve25 @ Nov 30 2007, 03:03 PM) *
How do you know that they are going to sound good when you record and double them? I mean are there things you think about like for example not too much distortion or not too much treble or anything like that? Like your Collab patch sounds great in the recordings but obviously doesn't sound as good on its own. How do you know that it will be ok when you record with it?

Well, I actually think that the Collab-patch sounds pretty good on it's own smile.gif Take a listen to it in this lesson. I honestly don't think it sounds that bad even when it's not doubled. So my approach is that if the patch sounds good on it's own, it will only sound better when doubled.

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
steve25
Nov 30 2007, 03:30 PM
Ah ok that's fair enough. Well it's just i was wondering you know if you had too much high or low it would come out way too high or way too low when you double it in the recording so was just wondering.

Yeah with me i really like the doubled collab patch you have there it sound awesome in the collaboration song and stuff but i don't like the sound of it on its own. Maybe just my ears lol

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Dec 1 2007, 04:42 AM
Killer tune! Good work guys!

Hardtail

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:50 AM